TheRobotCow Zenki coupe project

The Robot Cow
Club4AG Enthusiast

TheRobotCow Zenki coupe project

Postby The Robot Cow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 am

Hey there, my name is Erik and I'm from Central California and this project will most likely never end. This is my first corolla and it's been a blast and the biggest pain in the ass.
I bought this car pretty much how it is back in April 2012. What a great day that was.

Here are some old pictures of how the car used to be from an old owner
Then it transformed to this(also done by old owner)
The car had changed owners a couple times and couple things changed on the car. Mike from Speedhunters bought the car, and I bought the car from Mike.

I took the car to JCCS 2012, man what a great trip that was! I got to meet some really cool people.

Didn't take long for Rollalife to hit me so i got the engine rebuilt

With the help of friends and the internet i was able to get the car back on the road, but it took me months to complete this. This was my first venture into a car project and it's been a great learning experience and I still have a ton left to learn.

I got the car just in time for an Initial D meet and I decided to take the car out as it's initial shakedown since it was 2 ½ hour drive to get there. If i made it there and back then the car is good, if not then i got work to do. Fortunately for me everything worked pretty good and no problems where noticeable to me.

86 Fest 2 was nearing so I decided to go. I felt very confident in the car since it made it to the Initial D meet just fine, but i had one helluva scare. I was on my way back home and in the middle of L.A traffic my car just dies on me, luckily i was able to pull into a CVS parking lot. I spent the last of my travel funds on a alternator, i got it in but the car didn't start. Now the stress and panic started to sink in. This was something I didn't need the day right before school starts and with a dead phone(Thank god for good battery life on iPads. It saved my life). Got the car towed back to my cousin's house. The next day i went to work on the car. Took me almost the whole day to figure out what my problem was. It was such a simple fix, i felt very very stupid. On the + Battery terminal where that little fuse box is, one of the bolts had come loose. I tighten that up and the car fired right up.
No matter how simple it may seem, double check and triple check every bolt, connector and everything else(no matter how simple or obvious they seem).

Here's my ultimate goal for this car
mild 4ag(who knows which one)
Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust
4-2-1 headers
Volk Te37v and a collection of nice shoes
Mix of Battle Version/T3/Cusco suspension bits
T50/ Rear end rebuild
Custom front coilovers
Etc.
Last edited by The Robot Cow on Fri May 09, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Corolla Gts Coupe

The Robot Cow
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: TheRobotCow Zenki coupe project

Postby The Robot Cow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:57 am

Replaced the old T3 RCA with a pair of Cusco RCA. The old T3 rca had some fitment issue with the bottom of the coilovers so it would leave a gap between the two. Looks like they were damaged at one point

Now i need to get new wheel bearings and a new O2 sensor.
I learned a pretty cool trick on how to set the Tps which fixed the idling issue i was having.
1985 Corolla Gts Coupe

The Robot Cow
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby The Robot Cow » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Well during class i ran some tests on my O2 sensor and sure enough it's overdue to be replaced.

I reset the timing and man what a difference it made!! The engine runs super smooth now and doesn't have that lumpy idle.

Next thing on the list: Front wheel bearings!
1985 Corolla Gts Coupe

riddleyo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby riddleyo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:21 pm

What brand of O2 sensor is that?

The Robot Cow
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby The Robot Cow » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:23 pm

riddleyo wrote:What brand of O2 sensor is that?

Its a Bosch unit that i got from AutoZone. It was about $32
1985 Corolla Gts Coupe

riddleyo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby riddleyo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Ah, thanks. Good build, keep up the pics

The Robot Cow
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby The Robot Cow » Fri May 09, 2014 12:36 pm

So here are a few updates, enjoy!

T3 Long Short Shift kit paired with a Trd knob. To me and my hands this feels AMAZING!! I definitely recommend it.

I scored on a Jdm Zenki analog cluster, yes i like analog more than i did my digital. Don't worry, wiring was cleaned up and not left like a plate of spaghetti.

I even found the cluster that i've always lusted after!!
Sk Engineering analog cluster.

So i did have Bride Brix seats but i sold those, and got these Sr5 seats as a temporary means until i found my car's old reupholstered seats

Sr5 & Gts seat comparison

Got this great set of Celica Supra wheels from a friend, fresh Falken rubber too!

Last time i had my longchamps, they were sold to make room for something else ;)
1985 Corolla Gts Coupe

cocaneae86

Postby cocaneae86 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:10 pm

nice looks as if your in fresno, CA ?