"Never Forgotten" My long term N2 AE86 build

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: "Never Forgotten" My long term N2 AE86 build

Postby InitialB » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 pm

The Watts linkage was bolt-on, but in my case a little modifcation had to be done. Since I cut the trunk to fit the fuel cell, I had to cut the wheel well piece to the bracket and weld the bracket to the chassis (not pictured).

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Since I last updated, there has been some serious progress!

For starters, I made a plate that not only covers my coil-on-plugs, but it also is the adapter that holds them in!

Here are the D17 COPs..

So I took a nice little piece of stainless steel and bent it as well as cut out the piece around the oil cap. Test fit pictures:

Here's how much it sticks out on top:

Then, I proceeded to drill the necessary holes for the COPs to be bolted on. I actually needed to bore out the bolt hole on the COPs a smidge.

While I like the polished look, I thought it would look a little better in black so...

I think it looks pretty darn spiffy. So now I am just waiting on my fuel cell, fuel pump, fuel filters, and misc fittings to come in as well as my brake booster delete. Here goes nothing....

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:23 pm

That came out great. Good job with that idea
irony.cc

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:54 pm

Well my fuel cell, fuel pump, and regulator adapter came in today. Also I received my brake booster eliminator from T3.

Jaz 10-gallon aluminum fuel cell

Walbro 130lph fuel pump

FPR adaptor fitting

T3 booster eliminator

Pretty excited to bring these parts over to my shop and fit them to my car! Tomorrow I should be getting the rest of my fuel system in... I'll update then!

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:16 am

Got my 10 micron and 100 micron fuel filters in today!

Now I just have to wait for my FPR to come in before I can get my fuel lines.

PDB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby PDB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:14 am

Daft question, but can you explain benefits for removing the brake booster ? Was thinking about removing mine to help with clearance issues but wondered what the brakes would be like ?

Currently pedal is rock hard with no feel as the vacuum is only coming from 1 cylinder now as I'm running carbs.

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Well removing the booster cleans up your engine bay and gives you a little more space in that area. Plus, you get rid of some of those vacuum lines. As far as the feel goes, the pedal gets pretty stiff. It changes pretty much everything on the brakes soooo...

You will need to figure out an appropriate length pushrod in order to actuate the cylinder. This takes a bit of testing as you want it to be horizontal for about 95% of the travel of the pedal. I put a rose joint into my setup, so that the pushrod remains captive even if there is a reasonably catastrophic failure. Secondly this allows there to be a fixed pivot point so there can be a vaguely seesawing action in order to locate the pushrod.

PDB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby PDB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Interesting thanks.

Great build by the way [emoji106]

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:07 pm

So to the first order of business. The XRP fitting that was originally for the fuel-in line was just not cutting it for me. So I went down to Earl's in Hawthorne and got me a 90 degree fitting with an AN8 adapter on the end.

Not pictured, I also got an AN8 to AN6 reducer fitting for my fuel return on the fuel cell and a 1/8NPT to AN6 fitting for my fuel pressure regulator adapter.. which I proceeded to break.. So now I need to buy another one. Hooray for wasted money.

Since I was at my shop I also decided to mock-up my fuel cell area. The box where it all sits should be fun to make.. good thing I'm not the one making it... pheww.

Sure looks pretty.

Also I noticed there was too much flex on my old rad support bar, so I cut a new one using angled metal instead. It is now a proverbial "no flex zone." NOTE: The small hex key head bolts holding it on are purely for fitment testing. I plan on using much thicker bolts.

Now I'm just waiting on my Sard regulator to arrive.

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 am

So things have slowly been progressing.. I had my AC/Heater area welded shut and proceeded to apply some fiberglass bondo over it.

Then I sanded it down and put some primer over it just to see if there were any micro-spots i missed.

And that's where that sits for now. In other news, I got my Civic Koyorad in. Pretty cool. Now I just have to fab some brackets to make it sit pretty.

And my fabulous fabricator extraordinare Matt, sketched up some solidworks stuff for my Stainless Steel fuel cell bin!

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Haven't updated in a hot second! Here's what has happened since my last update:

I installed the finished fuel cell bin! (Pretty, I know)

I also painted the engine bay and fabricated brackets to hold my radiator. (There's also something about installing T3 brake booster deletes and drilling holes for Sard FPRs but that's a minor detail)

And I recently got my act together and bolted in the engine! Words cannot describe how happy I am to see an engine in this car after almost a year..

Now it basically just needs AN lines and some wiring... If only I can find the time and money to do such a task. See you in 4 months.....

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Wooo! Progress!
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Billy_Andrea
Club4AG Expert

Postby Billy_Andrea » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Looks great !!

milchmann
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby milchmann » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Can you post a few pictures of the rose joint on the brake MC piston rod? I am really interested to see your placement and orientation on that!