Eric's Free SR5

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Eric's Free SR5

Postby carbd7age » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:43 am

Well everything is gone so here's a quick run-down up to today(ish)

Got a 1986 SR5 5-speed from my in-laws for Christmas a couple years ago. It was broke.

It was a little broke so I fixed it. Put a Weber 32/36 on it cuz the stock carb is lame.

I got drunk and painted it purple.

I drove it for a little while, it had intermittent fuel issues, supply and pressure, so it made me mad sometimes. So I made this thing:

I wedged it in the car, then I crashed it on the first drive because a throttle spring broke and pinned redline 8000rpm in 3rd gear. So I hit a bridge and bent stuff.

I fixed that bent stuff and it's back on the floor. I got a new steering wheel and TRD shifter.

I need an extension for the steering wheel and shifter though, plus I need a good seat. That's up to date, I can't believe it took 15 pages on the old site to go through all that lol.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

NIXmx
Club4AG Regular

Re: Eric's Free SR5

Postby NIXmx » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 am

I will never forget that blue valve cover! How do you like the 1.8? And I know what you mean by compressing a car's life in one post, lol. Perspective.
This user's signature was removed due to obscenity.
https://www.facebook.com/Toyonerds

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Yeah I sold that with the head to a dude in North Carolina, pretty sure it's still running lol. I like the big block, it has torque for days. I just need to sort out my weird electrical problems with this new battery. It had some weird coating on the hot terminal, I think that's the problem.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 am

Got my steering wheel spacer from mase86, plus I ordered my seat, thanks Morgan for the info. I'm getting a Sparco Evo all black fiberglass. I ordered some metal to make brackets to bolt the seat to the stock rails. I remember seeing that on the old site, hopefully I remember enough of it lol.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm

I made a giant shift knob. Then I fixed my upside-down headlights. Apparently I put them back together inside out so they would stay up when off and flip closed when turned on. Easy fix. Then I took apart my driver seat so it's ready for the Sparco seat that'll be here tomorrow. Plus I mounted my Momo wheel, bootleg Momo horn button, and T3 hub extender. And I finally bought an actual rubber boot to the shifter, no more nitrile glove for me! I still want to make a nicer floor cover than the floppy boot, but more on that later.

sekang0
Club4AG Expert

Postby sekang0 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Nice lookin engine :shock:
'85 GT-S project since 2010

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 am

Got my new seat, just got to make brackets to attach it to the sliders.

I did have to steal he battery out of the Corolla so my daily driver Camry can keep going. I've been having some problems out of the Camry lately. What was Toyota's ad a while back? Something like 80% of Toyotas sold in the last 20 years are still on the road? I'm doing my part.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 am

^^x2... How's the Camry runnin? & your missing a pry bar from the tool box huh :lol: shifter looks great! nice touch
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 am

It's running fine, gotta redo the valve cover for what seems like the 20h time lol. I have plenty of spare pry bars, I am going to wrap the handleless end in something to give some grip to it. Maybe Sears will exchange it for a new one without the handle?

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 am

carbd7age wrote:It's running fine, gotta redo the valve cover for what seems like the 20h time lol. I have plenty of spare pry bars, I am going to wrap the handleless end in something to give some grip to it. Maybe Sears will exchange it for a new one without the handle?

Yea they should honor it.. walk out with a brand new replacement..good exchange policy! Hey while were discussin' about prybars,didnt yur park brake handle needed an upgrade also :lol:
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

capicu_4ag

Postby capicu_4ag » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

ERIC WHAT UP HOMIE!!! Jay from florida here.. i havent see anything car realted in about a good year to 2 years.. you wedged the motor in then the wedged the car to the bridge.. at least you wedge it right!!.. im glad to see you got it the bay... mototr that is.. me mines is still under the oak tree since its been stolen twice....

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm

KonaTrueno723 wrote:
carbd7age wrote:It's running fine, gotta redo the valve cover for what seems like the 20h time lol. I have plenty of spare pry bars, I am going to wrap the handleless end in something to give some grip to it. Maybe Sears will exchange it for a new one without the handle?

Yea they should honor it.. walk out with a brand new replacement..good exchange policy! Hey while were discussin' about prybars,didnt yur park brake handle needed an upgrade also :lol:

Yeah I was thinkin about the e brake handle. I need to pull the e brake all apart and figure out what size I need, maybe incorporate a drift knob inside it lol.

capicu_4ag wrote:ERIC WHAT UP HOMIE!!! Jay from florida here.. i havent see anything car realted in about a good year to 2 years.. you wedged the motor in then the wedged the car to the bridge.. at least you wedge it right!!.. im glad to see you got it the bay... mototr that is.. me mines is still under the oak tree since its been stolen twice....

Hey Jay what's goin on man? You have the worst luck with that thing. I just drifted too much. I was all Tokyo drift king status, you shoulda seen it...

capicu_4ag

Postby capicu_4ag » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 am

^^ tell me about it everytime i got looking nice.. bam this time they took and left the alarm system LAYING NEXT TO THE CAR :shock: i guess they realy wanted it. i think im gonna get rid of it and start all over again...

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:43 pm

capicu_4ag wrote:^^ tell me about it everytime i got looking nice.. bam this time they took and left the alarm system LAYING NEXT TO THE CAR :shock: i guess they realy wanted it. i think im gonna get rid of it and start all over again...

Dang capicu_4ag..those ruthless scums, & to leave that back!? ballsy bitches..
Yeah, I'm tryin to disable my 86 right now,just for the them theives..
87 GTS Coupe

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I put my seat in. Height and angle is perfect with the extended steering wheel hub and giant shift knob. It's awkward getting in and out of the car because the bucket is so deep and I don't want to drag my butt over the edge and start wearing it out.

Plus I pulled out the e brake so I could make a matching handle. The shifter is too cool.
Last edited by carbd7age on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Postby Zenki85 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Loving the DIY!
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR
Adriansadriano@yahoo.com - email

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks. I swear I'll eventually clean the interior and strip it and paint it.

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Postby Zenki85 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Haha yeah just need some carpet and you are okk too jk. What's the next project btw?
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 am

Finish it, drive it a while, then a) blow the engine and build turbo 2RZ or b) sell it and the Camry and buy a VW Phaeton W12 and drive like an old man. Or buy an FRS and not modify anything. Or buy an old Subaru 2.5RS and build the crap out of it. I dunno lol. But right now I need to finish the interior, then the outside, then it ought to be about done I reckon.

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Postby Zenki85 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 am

Very nice. That engine seems too clean to be blown anytime soon! Haha yeah I get you do tho having a fun but really reliable car. Are you planning to hit a track once or twice btw?
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 am

Yes I want to eventually get it into the auto-x money pit.

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Postby Zenki85 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:48 am

carbd7age wrote:Yes I want to eventually get it into the auto-x money pit.

Very nice choice for a bottomless pit lol :D
Keep up the good work coming together great. And I still can't get over your engine! Still beautiful brotha
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks. I have another project to do now. I noticed my fuel pump was leaking, so sealed the fittings with liquid thread tape and everything looked fine. Then I noticed more mess around the filter in the trunk when I did my rear party bar. So I am going to order a bunch of -6AN fittings and a filter with threaded ends. The plastic clear cheap filter from the parts store leaks if you just touch it. Like steady drips, and that dog ain't gonna hunt, Jack. I'm going to make a new pickup, too.

dano

Postby dano » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm

carbd7age wrote:Yes I want to eventually get it into the auto-x money pit.

It doesn't have to be a moneypit, the biggest advantage you can gain is some high quality tires like the hankook ventus rs3 or kumho ecsta xs. I seen stock corollas keep up with some tricked out 4awd's with just a really good set of tires and maybe some coilovers (which you can make yourself). From what my AE86 has taught me over the years is alot of aftermarket parts you can buy, you can make yourself for a hellofva lot cheaper :)

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun May 12, 2013 4:53 am

I haven't updated this in a while. I fixed the fuel leak at the pump, installed a T3 hatch bar and injectors port plugs, bootleg camber plates and front strut tower bar. I pulled the carbs off to see why it was so hard to start. Well I have found 2 major problems with the carbs. One was "rebuilt" and the accelerator pump was put together upside-down, so it didn't work. I guess it still ran because the vacuum pulled enough fuel through the starter jet? I have some rebuild kits so i'll put them back together right. The other major problem really grinds my gears. I was told they were 44's, I bought them because they were 44's. I need/want something larger than regulations ole 40's, whether Weber or Mikuni or what have you. When I disassembled the carbs, I figured I would check the stamps on the inside of the butterflies. Guess what? They are 40's. Regular stock carb 40PHH. Whoopty doo. Thanks seller for misinformation. That explains the huge gap in the ports from the carbs to the manifold. I have a 1/2" sheet of phenolic material so I'm going to cut out some spacers and taper them smooth across the transition.

drift warrior fab
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby drift warrior fab » Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Eric!!!!!!!!!!! I need your phone number. And I have to ask how your seat is going. I'm about to buy 4 of them for my g8. Just wanted to see how they held up

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun May 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Haha it's a decent seat, probably not as comfortable as your original G8 seats lolol. I'll text you...

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:57 am

Progress has been slow. I did start the car today! Idle is way off and it stalls when you hit the gas. But the rebuilt carbs are better than they were. One carb's accelerator pump was upside down, so it didn't work at all, I have no idea how I got it running a while ago before I crashed it. Anyways, I gotta sort out what's going on now. I reckon it's either the jets or idle or pilot screws or timing or who knows....

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:25 am

Timing is correct, I ordered some jets yesterday, should be here Saturday. Will try them Sunday.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Car starts and runs pretty well now. I changed the jets out to the stock size. The jets I had must be for some giant camshafts. I need to settle the idle and sync the carbs, then this headache will be back on the road!