A broke college kid, and his broken rolla...

boosted86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: A broke college kid, and his broken rolla...

Postby boosted86 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Looking good! What white epoxy did you use all over the front end? I'm about to that point on my car, I have industrial epoxy from work, but might use automotive epoxy primer.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:34 am

boosted86 wrote:Looking good! What white epoxy did you use all over the front end? I'm about to that point on my car, I have industrial epoxy from work, but might use automotive epoxy primer.

Any white you see, is the paint the car had before i started. The grey primer on the other hand is Nason Ful-Poxy. Nason is the "cheaper" line of Dupont paints. I have the Ful-poxy primer as well as a high build and sealer, all from Nason. I'll splurge on base and clear, once i get there :D :D

Smallish update,

I have really been grinding out some bodywork this week. It is a super slow job, but i hope it will all be worth it int he end. I want the body, front fenders, drivers door and rear tail light panel re-coated in epoxy primer and the first coat of high build primer. I really hope I can pull all of this off by the end of this weekend. That would leave only the passenger door and hood to do. Once those are done, I will finally get to the point of block sanding the entire car. :D :) :? I am hoping all the time I am taking now with the filler should minimize the use of it during block sanding time. I also bought some dry guide coat to help ensure everything is straight as an arrow before actual paint.

It will be a lot of work, but a big milestone in the build. Here are some pics for those interested.

Its hard to see with the flash, but I think I finally got the body line right, on the drivers side rear arch!! :D :D :D

More updates to come...

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Keep pushing. It looks bitchin. I just don't have the patience for body work so mines in the shop now for paint. Every minute counts when it comes to body work and it looks like you're doing it the right way.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:10 am

shagymc wrote:Keep pushing. It looks bitchin. I just don't have the patience for body work so mines in the shop now for paint. Every minute counts when it comes to body work and it looks like you're doing it the right way.

Thanks for the kind words. I definitely think I bit off a bit more than I could chew with this project. It is A LOT of work for someone learning how to do all of this stuff on the fly. Do-able for anyone, it just takes a lot of time and patience. I think I have said it before, but after doing this amount of bodywork, I completely understand the prices for a "nice paint job". I haven't been keeping track of the hours I have put into the body work, which is probably a good thing. I'm sure I would be absolutely floored if I knew how much time it has taken me to get this far in the body work :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping for a full Saturday of work this weekend, we will see what comes of it.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 am

Did some more bodywork over the weekend, its getting there, just super slow. I managed to seam seal the interior on Saturday. I still have to do the trunk and wheel wells, but overall the process wasn't too bad. The seam sealer hardens extremely fast, so make sure you take that into account if you ever try doing it yourself. I used heavy bodied seam sealer from 3M, the two part kind. I may have went overboard with the prep and all but I wanted as clean of lines as I could get. IT does not match the "factory finish" but it will do for me.

1. Outline the seams with painters tape
2. Scuff and clean seam (I used a maroon scotch brite pad)
3. Apply seam sealer in small areas, due to short work time.
4. Since I was wearing latex gloves, I used my finger to spead the sealer. Small brushes should work too.
5. ***Make sure to remove tape BEFORE you move to the next area.*** You want to be able to remove the tape before it fully hardens, luckly I pulled up mine just as time was runnig out.

I still want to try and get the fenders, door, and body work areas in primer this week, I'm running out of warm days. :(

More updates to come...

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:50 pm

welp, there goes my underwear
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:31 am

I did some more epoxying last night. I might shoot another coat when I get home today or maybe try and hit it with a coat of high build before the re-coat window on the epoxy ends, but idk yet.

I still have quite a bit of "ghosting" on the body filler areas but that should all disappear when i start laying down the high build primer. The door and fenders look really straight, I am super happy with how they have turned out so far. The rear tail light panel *Especially the drivers side* is really starting to piss me off.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Idk if i should try and scavenge a panel or keep trying to "fix" it with body hammers and filler. It a super hard body line to get correct, I just don't know what to do :( :(

On a positive note, I'm super happy with how the drivers side quarter panel lip came out. looks pretty close to how it should, what do you all think?

I am still trying to decide to run fender flares or not. Since I am currently doing body work, now would be the perfect time to add in fender flares. However, I am having a hard time justifying cutting up the body. Once the body is cut, I can't go back. On the flip side of that, I can finish getting the stock fender look and later down the road, add flares if I really want to. So many decisions.........

On to pics!

The passenger door and hood are the only panels left that need to be epoxy primed. Lets do this!!!!

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Fenders and doors look awesome man. As far as flares go, I know on mine with the wheels I'm running, we are rolling the front and rear and giving the front a tiny bit of negative camber to get them fitting under the fenders i.e. -2-3 degrees. The rears we have to pull as well but shouldn't be much of an issue. I would try that first before cutting to see if you dig it since once you cut, there's no going back really.
I feel like you should be able to source a small panel for the trunk body line that is giving you hell and if not, can you take a mold of the passenger side with fiberglass to use on the driver side? Just an idea, might work, might not. Good luck homie! Don't let the little things frustrate you, take a breath, step back, and then go at it a different way. You got this

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:20 pm

I got a little bit of work done this weekend. Long ago before this project started, I bought a bulk box of Dynamat. For years it sat in my room collecting dust until finally this weekend I decided to start installing it. So far, I have installed the Dynamat on the roof and the floor. I still plan on doing the trunk and doors as well. Even though I have not tested this stuff on the road, I am convinced the change will be dramatic. I usually have the radio turned on in the garage and I for sure notice a difference when I get in and out of the car, even without and doors or glass!! I'm super excited to see what it will sound like when driving and the stereo playing. Also, when I bang on the roof now, I no longer get a metal "tinggggggg" but rather a dull "thud", its crazy. Just 2 pics but progress is progress :D

More updates to come...

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Is that expensive, it comes with adhesive? Glad you get back and working on it. keep it up man!
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:02 am

shagymc wrote:Fenders and doors look awesome man. As far as flares go, I know on mine with the wheels I'm running, we are rolling the front and rear and giving the front a tiny bit of negative camber to get them fitting under the fenders i.e. -2-3 degrees. The rears we have to pull as well but shouldn't be much of an issue. I would try that first before cutting to see if you dig it since once you cut, there's no going back really.
I feel like you should be able to source a small panel for the trunk body line that is giving you hell and if not, can you take a mold of the passenger side with fiberglass to use on the driver side? Just an idea, might work, might not. Good luck homie! Don't let the little things frustrate you, take a breath, step back, and then go at it a different way. You got this

Thanks for the input, I think I have decided to see how it looks blocked out and with wheels on first. If I decide then that I want flares, I can cut and weld up the quarters. I really need to throw the suspension and wheels back on and actually see how it looks sitting on the ground 8-)

As for the panel, thanks for the suggestion :D I'm going to sand down my work and try forming it a bit more for a better look, then finish off with filler. I actually went out last night with some body tools and think it is already looking better than in the previous pic.

JDM20VAE101 wrote:Is that expensive, it comes with adhesive? Glad you get back and working on it. keep it up man!

It was sorta kinda expensive years ago when I bought it. However, I did get it off ebay for somewhat of a deal back then. It was the last box or something, so I got some extra money off. It think it was around $100 for the box but I don't remember for sure. This stuff comes with a tar like adhesive on the back. You basically cut the pieces to size, then peel and stick.

I have heard that home depot sells stuff designed for roofing/gutters that is basically the same for a lot less money. However, I have heard that the Home Depot stuff can smell like tar on hot days or even out of the packaging. The Dynamat seems like super nice stuff and does not smell at all.

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Good!

So I'll go with Dynamat...

Thanks
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:29 am

Nice job especially on the seam sealer work! I didn't think about that when I did on my white coupe project. You can see a little but it wasn't easy applying the sealer on the stitched welds.

Than I decided to use masking tape technique and came out much better.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:21 am

webyosan wrote:Nice job especially on the seam sealer work! I didn't think about that when I did on my white coupe project. You can see a little but it wasn't easy applying the sealer on the stitched welds.

Than I decided to use masking tape technique and came out much better.

Awesome man!, glad the tape method worked out better for ya. I've been lurking on your build thread for a while now, I just hardly ever post :lol: :lol: Keep up the great work and the updates! I love your progress so far!

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 am

Ninja Update...

2 Fenders and a door in high build Primer :D :D

Got some more goodies as well that I will post later.

kunfuzion
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kunfuzion » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:14 pm

wow, impressive work, especially for a firs time DIY. Kudos!

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:52 am

Well, the body is in its first coat of high build primer. Although it feels really good getting to this point, I can now see a lot more imperfections than I could before. I just have to get to blocking and see how bad those trouble spots are going to be. Anyways, on to the pics!

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:41 am

** UPDATE ** Made a bash bar to mount my rear bumper

Over the past couple of months, I have been pondering how to mount my kouki rear bumper to my AE86. earlier in this thread, I fab'ed up some homemade bumper brackets which worked, but were crudely thrown together and didn't sit as well as I had hoped. I liked the idea of a rear bash bar, but wanted to try my hand at making one of my own. Don't get me wrong, Danny from Swang Biz and other companies like Street Faction make TIG welded tube bash bars, that are great quality and probably offer a lot more "protection" in the event of a rear collision. They are professionals, I am not. This bar might be laughable to some, but the finished product works for me and I'm happy with it for now.

I wanted this bar to accomplish two things, assist in mounting the rear bumper and add a “little” additional protection to the Bumper. Assuming you have some tools and a little know how, this project is relatively easy for any DIY’er. I got lucky having access to a friends welder, and a cheap drill press. I would think the same thing could be accomplished with an electric drill and some creativity using extra nuts and bolts in the absence of a welder.

Please keep in mind, this is only a way of mounting the rear bumper and will not provide adequate protection in case of an accident. If you try to build your own bash bar, do so “at your own risk”. As with any DIY project, unfamiliarity with the tools and process can be dangerous.

The materials I used were purchased from Home Depot and a local hardware store, Dieruf Hardware:
Metal pieces (Home Depot):
1 - 1-1/4 in. x 1/16 in. x 48 in Plain Steel Square Tube price ea. $16.21
1 - 3/4 in. x 1.8 in. x 36 in. Plain Steel Flat Bar price ea. $4.21
1- 2 in. x 1/8 in. x 36 in. C-channel bar price ea. $14.97
Total(+ 6% sales tax): $37.51

Hardware (Dieruf Hardware Company):
2x – Item #: 73366-F price ea. $1.99
2x – Item #: 73365-E price ea. $1.89
4 – Item #: 73284-D price ea. $0.54
4 – Item #: 73708-H price ea. $0.25
4 – Item #: 73688-H price ea. $0.27
4 – Item #: 76126-F price ea. $0.75
Total (+ 6% sales tax): $15.90

Grand Total (excluding tools): $53.41 **Keep in mind I didn't use about half the material I purchased, so technically it could be even cheaper**

I did not take many pictures during the build, so I do not have many to post. I did however, make a video while building the bash bar, which I will embed at the bottom of this post. Below are some picture I do have, which show the completed bash bar as well as the rear bumper fitment.

Here is the Video:

Now for the shameless self plug. I'm kinda feeling out this youtube thing and are trying to post video updates as well as pictures for this thread. If you like the video content feel free to subscribe to the channel and share the videos wherever. I'll be posting other projects I'm working on as well, but the AE86 will probably be the bulk of the content for a while. I will definitely keep this thread updated!

More updates to come!

mideng
Club4AG Expert

Postby mideng » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 am

Great work! Mucho rapecto

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:14 pm

This is so sick.

the DIY bash bar is cool too. Glad you actually mounted your bumper too, unlike the popular bash bar trend that's going on right now with the s-chassis crowd.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:40 am

Did Some work the weekend before last. I decided to install my t3 trunk panels and make a "False Floor" for the trunk. I am very happy with the final result of the floor and now the trunk looks a lot better. Not to mention, the inner quarters are now protected from the inside as well.

Project Video:

More updates to come!

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 am

Hit a major point in the AE86 build. I finally was able to install my OEM Fiberglass side skirts from Retro-Spec. I am super excited how they turned out!! The only complaint I have, is that the end caps didn't seem to fit "right". I will be able to make them work, but i figured they would fit a little better then they do. Oh well, guess I will just have to modify them later down the road.

I used these things called "nutserts" to mount the side skirts. Basically, they are threaded inserts that are "crimped into sheet metal. This allows the side skirts to be 100% removable and swap-able with other skirts. An alternative option to self tappers or zip ties.

Pics and Video:

Here is the video of the installation, for any that are interested:

Last edited by EvoSolley on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:11 am

Definitely watching this video later when I get off work.

The skirts on mine will need replacing here soon.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 am

I'm a big nutsert fan, seemed to work out great for you too! I'm currently trying to figure out how to use them for the door panels I'm going to build.

MIGGZFSU

Postby MIGGZFSU » Mon May 08, 2017 12:36 am

Hey bud

Loving the build so far :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Tue May 16, 2017 5:15 am

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Got some work done on the 86, even though I kinda already worked on this piece earlier in the build. For anyone looking to "rebuild" their stock, disintegrating parcel shelf/ rear speaker shelf, or build one completely from scratch, here is how I did it. All the supplies you need are listed in the description. Let me know if anyone has any questions on the process or need help with anything 8-) This is a very easy project for any DIY'er.

I'lll be working on the remaining door and trunk lid this weekend then get them in epoxy primer then high build. Once finished, I will hopefully be able to mount all the panels back on the car! Still a toss up if I want to go with a painted oem hood or save up for a carbon fiber one. Whatever the case, it is finally getting there!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 am

Hurry up and get this thing on the road so we can cruise around Louisville!!!

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Wed May 17, 2017 7:25 am

Jayrdee wrote:Hurry up and get this thing on the road so we can cruise around Louisville!!!

:lol: :lol: I need to get it done! Bodywork this weekend, no excuses haha.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu May 18, 2017 5:45 am

EvoSolley wrote: :lol: :lol: I need to get it done! Bodywork this weekend, no excuses haha.

Yes!! If you ever need an extra set of hands dude let me know and I'll make the drive up there. Can't do it this weekend or next, but I got nothing going on over the summer.

I've been craving Spinelli's anyways 8-) :ugeek:

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 am

Jayrdee wrote:
EvoSolley wrote: :lol: :lol: I need to get it done! Bodywork this weekend, no excuses haha.

Yes!! If you ever need an extra set of hands dude let me know and I'll make the drive up there. Can't do it this weekend or next, but I got nothing going on over the summer.

I've been craving Spinelli's anyways 8-) :ugeek:

For sure man, I'll hit you up sometime this summer. I'm sure I will need the extra set of hands at some point...**cough** Block Sanding **cough** lol

Bodywork has started on the remaining panels. I made a video, documenting the process I have used for each panel. It's a long process, but I think it is important to show the whole process for any DIY'ers out there. Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end!

Hope you all enjoy! More updates to come!