The Hoopty Coupe

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

The Hoopty Coupe

Postby overspool » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to type up my thread again because of the new site.

I picked up this red SR5 coupe for $300, in a little town in Southern Utah. Non-running, but totally worth it.

Had a barbeque with the AZ Toyota guys to get her running...

I then drove her 700 miles from Phoenix AZ to Ogden UT (where I currently live). The 4AC held on for all of those miles, then blew up about 2 weeks after I got up her. Then I picked up a GTS swap for $600...

junkyard motor. it was pretty dirty.

I rebuilt the top end, still has a decent bottom end.

bought some sweet parts...

and still using the SR5 rear end. Welded teh diff up...

I have a 7 rib that I am building for boost, still trying to get a good suspension set up.
Last edited by overspool on Sat May 17, 2014 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: My AE86. SR5 to GTS, and other little things.

Postby overspool » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm

So... for about a week or so I've been tracking down wiring issues with my low beam headlights. High beams work, but my low beams dont. I was told by several people that the SR5 front lighting harness works with a GTS underdash harness, but it does not. It is a ground controlled circuit, so there is constant power to the headlight, and it switches the headlights on by applying a ground. HERE is the evidence showing how they are different.

The top one is the SR5 connector, pin 12 is the ground for the low beam headlights. The bottom is the GTS harness connector, pin 2 is the ground for the low beam headlights. Here is the SR5 connector (down by the RH kick panel fuse box/junction block)

So what did I do? I pulled the one pin for the headlights out of the harness and plugged it into the connector on the fuse box/junction block.

Now my headlights work properly. YAY!

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks!

I've had my corolla for almost two years now. The first year I did pretty much nothing with it. My GF at the time wasn't too keen on me spending money on my cars because we had plans of tying the knot, but then our relationship turned south and my corolla became my therapy lol. Since last march when that relationship ended I have done a GTS swap- running and drivable (engine re-seal and rebuilt the head, as well as many other new parts for it), Bride Vios 3's, Takata Harness, harness bar, advans, CF hood, picked up a 7 rib block that I am going to build for boost, among other things.

I got most of the interior together...

still deciding on how to mount the shoulder straps to the chassis.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 pm

I figured I'd dump a few more photos in here.

Spare block that I need to build...

surge tank...

mock fitting of the oil cooler...

I picked up a pair of Bride Vios III for a stupid good deal.

I made an EGR delete...

hanging out with cool friends.

86_LeViN
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_LeViN » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:23 am

skyrine....ror!

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 am

It is one of my favorite cars I've ever ridden in, maybe someday he'll let me drive it lol. It's stupid fast.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:56 am

I did something stupid. I wanted a GTS rear end, and found one for $500. Not quite what I have just lying aroudn to spend on car parts. But once again, my friend Will stepped in to help me out. He talked the dude down to $250, and it happens to have a car attached to it.

Granted, she is missing quite a few parts, but the chassis is straight. It may take me awhile to get the car together, but I'll piece together a clean daily driver out of this shell, maybe in a year or two. It needs a new trunk (terribly dented), one fender, bumpers, and front fascia, etc. but the doors open great, the rear quarter panels are excellent, and I found very minimal rust (which seems to only be surface rust :D).

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Started a job at a shop, and whenever it's slow I've been pulling my corolla in. It's been on DD duty for 3 weeks now.

So far we've fixed...

output shaft seal
exhaust leaks
exhaust gaskets
F+R brakes
F wheel bearings
Replaced brake master cylinder
welded on a new muffler.

I started my car one day and I noticed the exhaust was louder. AS it turns out, my muffler had practically rusted off. Replaced it with a cheap Thrush Turbo muffler.

So here are some pictures...

mounted some gauges.

got my bushing kit...

New master cylinder:

heat wrapped my starter so I wouldn't fry another solenoid:

interior coming together...

I put what little interior pieces I have back into it. I'm in need of a new center section around where the stereo would go, and a lid for the center console.

I also cleaned up the timing cover I picked up from a buddy of mine in Phoenix.

and installed it. I'll be adjusting the ignition timing tomorrow so I'm not running so dang rich.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:50 pm

overspool wrote:Image

Nice! I have an FC oil cooler too. Any more info / tips on mounting it and hooking it up?

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm still working out the details. Essentially you get a few different AN adapters. M18x1.5 to a -10 or -8 AN. Then get some stainless lines, and run it to an oil filter adapter plate. I'm using an Earl's adapter plate for a 4AFE that has two 3/8" threaded ports. Uses the same oil filter, so it should work. I haven't hooked it up yet. I did a compression test today, 60psi. Looks like I'll be pulling the motor to replace a bunch of stuff in the bottom end.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 pm

overspool wrote:I'm still working out the details. Essentially you get a few different AN adapters. M18x1.5 to a -10 or -8 AN. Then get some stainless lines, and run it to an oil filter adapter plate. I'm using an Earl's adapter plate for a 4AFE that has two 3/8" threaded ports. Uses the same oil filter, so it should work. I haven't hooked it up yet. I did a compression test today, 60psi. Looks like I'll be pulling the motor to replace a bunch of stuff in the bottom end.

I think I have the exact same sandwich plate! :D

For the compression test, is that something you did yourself or did you bring it to a shop? I should probably test mine too.

Thanks!

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:19 am

I did it myself. O'Reilly has a compression tester rental tool. What you do is take out a spark plug and thread the compression tester in there. A "Dry non-running" compression test on a brand new engine is normally around 120. You crank it for only ~2 seconds, then check to see what you got. Then do the same thing with each cylinder/spark plug. Put the spark plug back in once you've pulled out the compression tester.

A running compression test should be 120+, on a brand new engine it's normally around 140-150.

These are all general numbers, I don't know what the factory service manual states for the 4AGE.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon May 06, 2013 9:49 am

overspool wrote:I did it myself. O'Reilly has a compression tester rental tool. What you do is take out a spark plug and thread the compression tester in there. A "Dry non-running" compression test on a brand new engine is normally around 120. You crank it for only ~2 seconds, then check to see what you got. Then do the same thing with each cylinder/spark plug. Put the spark plug back in once you've pulled out the compression tester.

A running compression test should be 120+, on a brand new engine it's normally around 140-150.

These are all general numbers, I don't know what the factory service manual states for the 4AGE.

Thanks for the reply! :)

For some reason when I read "compression test" I was thinking "pressure test", for the oil cooler, not the motor :P

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Mon May 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Oh yeah, I've never pressure tested an oil cooler. But I imagine it wouldn't be difficult. Plug one end with a rubber plug that has a hole in the middle of it, and insert a pressure gauge into that hole and seal it up with something. Then use the same thing on the other end, and instead of a pressure gauge install a schrater valve. Pump it up and see if it holds pressure. I've done something similar for searching for boost leaks on subarus.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Mon May 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Also, did a leakdown test as well as another compression test. Leakdown was less than 20%, so I was like "huh. Compression should be waaaay higher than 60psi if there is that little of leaking."

Sure enough...

So happy. I ordered the rest of the parts to get my oil cooler mounted. Pretty stoked right meow. Should have it installed on friday. I'm also working out a deal with a local for some gauges that he is in the production of :D I'll be getting his cost pricing on them for "testing" purposes :D Super stoked.

adrian86
Club4AG Regular

Postby adrian86 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:02 pm

if you want to get rid of the GTS shell hit me up i really need a right side quarter skin for my GTS!

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:35 am

So, after DD'ing the corolla for a month or two, the week of a drift event in May it started PUKING blue smoke out the tailpipe. I thought maybe PCV or piston rings, but upon tearing it apart I found oil in the #4 exhaust port. After looking at it more, I discovered that the valve seals were not installed very well. And on top of that, I had inadequate oil pressure, so the cams, cam journals, and cam caps in the head were all scored bad enough that I now have a giant paperweight.

I picked up another head from a friend of mine, and after paying a shop to do a full valve job, valve seals, and deck my old head, I decided to do this one myself, aside from decking. I lapped all the valves, installed valve seals, and had Pro Machine deck the head for me.

While it was apart I installed new rings and bearings. So now I have a completely fresh engine.

Also, decided to lower it in the most terrible way.

While swapping parts between my shell and big red, I discovered something awesome.

Blue, under all the road grime on the front sway bar. I measured it, and sure enough it is larger than the stock sway bar by 1mm. The shell came with a Cusco FSB on it. wooooooooooooot!

I now have Cusco front and rear sway bars, I just haven't gotten around to installing the front one yet.

So... got big red back together again, but I have the weirdest effing issue. If you don't want to read all of this shtuff, I put bullets down at the bottom.

Only on LEFT hand turns and going over bumps, does my car misfire/bog/CEL flashes, and the tach jumps around. Originally, the tach and water temp would go up at the same rate, and teh cell would flash. I ran new wires for the underdash harness (thought I found a short to power with the tach wire), but it still didn't solve the issue (I think it fixed the water temp, dunno for sure).

From the main connector in the engine bay to the gauge cluster the harness is perfect. When I inspected/checked for resistance for the engine harness I found OL with the main connector disconnected, and the ignitor disconnected (good). I shook/pulled at the harness while measuring resistance hoping I would see some sort of change, but nothing.

The CEL only stays on for a few seconds then turns off, so I can't check the code.

What I do know:

-The tach gets the signal from teh ignitor, which gets the signal from the dizzy.
-Water temp gauge goes straight from the cluster, to the sensor, then grounds through the block.
-Underdash harness is 100% good.

Symptoms:
-slight misfire at idle (could be old gas or old coil, dunno if it's associated)
-misfire/bog on left hand turns and big bumps
-erratic tach on left hand turns and big bumps
-CEL comes on left hand turns and big bumps

Possible issues:
-Ignitor/coil
-distributor/rotor
-engine harness shorting out

Ruled out:
-underdash harness
-pigtail off of igniter

Other interesting thing... I shake my coil and I think I can hear liquid moving around in it. I know that the old style coils were filled with a non-conductive mineral oil, but I was under the impression that you aren't supposed to hear it slosh around lol. It's an OE toyota coil... I think I'll replace that. Anyway...

I ran new wires for the underdash harness, didn't fix it. I tested the engine harness, and it seemed good. But, it made more sense for there to be a short in the harness than the igniter to act weird depending on which way the Gs pull.

Started tearing into the engine harness and found this...

Insulation for several wires melted together. Red goes from the igniter to the ECU, black goes from the igniter to the tach, and the brown wires are for AC. I'm going to finish going through the entire harness to make sure there is nothing else wrong, and do a nice little wire tuck. I've been meaning to do it for awhile, and right now I've got the motivation while I have the harness pulled apart.

oh and also...

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:59 pm

I worked all night long on thursday and friday (until about 3AM) to get the car ready for drifting on saturday.

I ended up finding the issue, the wiring to the igniter was giving me problems. I didn't have time to fix them the right way, so I routed new wires, and ziptied them in place.

I went away from my ratchet strap battery tie down, and relocated it behind the driver's seat.

and I finally strapped down my fuel pump so it wasn't bouncing around in the trunk.

For my first drift event, being on cut springs, blown struts, rear sway bar and a strut tower brace, I felt like I did alright. I've never really drifted before, let alone a 100hp corolla. It was an experience. I ran into little issues all day (I had a bad oil pressure gauge and it freaked me out- reading low, had issues idling, and as it got warmer and warmer it got a bit sluggish). But, all in all a good day.

I was only running 10 degrees of timing, next time I'll be running 15. I need a new ignition coil, mine is the stock one from 25 years ago lol. I need to clean up the wiring. I also need MOAR STEERING ANGLE. After drifting a few runs, I started to find the sweet spot. Unfortunately, it was right before I hit full lock, so it was difficult to hold it there. I need an AW11 manual rack, inner tie rod ends with a built in spacer, outer tie rod ends, a thicker radiator (stock single core suuucckkksss), oil cooler needs to get mounted (I didn't have time to get that done... lol), and MOAR POWER.

Now that I have an idea of what I need, I think I'll start getting the hang of this drifting thing. It's a BLAST.

Here is a video of me getting very shallow angle, and spinning out. lol.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152202059317678

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:14 pm

overspool wrote:Image

Hey, that's the same sandwich plate I have! :D

That means we have the same sandwich plate and oil cooler; "great minds" perhaps? :P

What inner diameter hose are you using for the oil cooler?

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I used -8, but I wish I would have used -10.

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Nice build, only thing that pisses me off is that now that I read your build I wanna work on mine and I'm stuck at work :( , hahaha

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 am

I'm waiting on a very large shipment from Megan racing right now... :) I received my shipment of Mishimoto parts last week. Radiator, fans, and oil cooler. I pulled my engine harness to fix all of the wires I had run outside of the looming so I could make it to the last drift event, and while I'm at it in going to do a wire tuck to clean up the engine bay a bit.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Since it's been awhile since I've updated...

bump.

fitment problems... ^^

Yay cooling parts!!!

Now I have this problem...

Oh and I picked up some coils and stuff for a good deal.

I'm starting to piece together my electrical stuff for the turbo build.

moar parts got here the other day. I received my large shipment from Megan Racing.

Tonight I took my control arms to my fabrication guy so he could take a look at extending them. I trashed the ball joint boots when taking the knuckles off, so I'll be replacing the 25 year old ball joints with some new ones. After pulling the old ball joints, I'll be dropping the control arms off with him tomorrow, and they should be getting extended 25mm/1". I have a manual rack to install as well. Everything in the front end is torn down as of right now, and I realized that my other two jackstands are holding up the front of my shell which has zero suspension on the front. So... I'll be swapping my stock stuff onto that so atleast I can roll it around again, and I can put the rear end up on jackstands to install the rear coilovers, 4 link bushings, panhard bar, and traction brackets.

I fixed the fitment issues with the radiator to the car (I had to trim out a little bit of metal around the radiator). I spent the better part of the night pulling the rack.

before:

After:

Oh and I finally got around to pulling the harness to clean up all of the rushed crap that I did last time before the drift event.

I did a little bit of nipping and tucking. I'm going to re-route the connectors for the dizzy and oxygen sensor so that instead of running up and over the front of the engine, they're going to tuck underneath the exhaust manifold and up. I will be using the fire sleeve that I was using for my oil pressure gauge as insulation for the wires. A good friend of mine should be giving me his oil pressure and temperature gauges in the next few weeks (hopefully before the drift event so I can do a bit of test driving/shakedown on the street). The next drift event is March 22nd. I'm really pushing to have my car ready for it! It should be doable.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:41 pm

And another update:

My fabricator sent me some pictures.

1" extended, boxed and gusseted control arms. He is still doing the other one. Super excited for these. The only things I need to have the front end perfect imo is RCAs and zero ackerman knuckles.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Straitup D
Club4AG Expert

Re: My AE86. SR5 to GTS, DRIFT MISSILE BUILD.

Postby Straitup D » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 am

Good work!

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Sweet build man! I wish I could find a cheap 86 to missle. Good luck with your build!
http://UPSCALENATION.COM 1980 TE72, 2003 V35. Love them both as each car has a different personality.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:16 pm

front suspension. Don't mind the tension rod bracket, it's rotated 90 degrees from what is in the picture (so it will move with the suspension)

rear suspension.

Engine bay.

wiring done...

It may not look like much, but I re-routed the wires for the oxygen sensor, starter signal, distributor and igniter/coil. They now come around the back of the motor and on the frame rail and forward, that way they don't go up and over the top of the engine. I may even re-route the harness where it goes on top of the intake manifold to go underneath it, and have the injector wires come up and through the middle of the manifold and to the injectors. That would look a bit more clean I think.

I got the oil cooler mounted and hoses sort of figured out.

Needs MOAR CAMBER.

Here is my oil filter relocation. I put the filter down low (that way it'll eliminate dry starts and ish), it's right between the subframe and the front sway bar mount thingy. I haven't plumbed the lines yet, so I can move it somewhere else if I feel the need. Any input? I wanted it lower than the stock oil filter relocation so the pump wouldn't have to pump and pump and pump to fill up the lines and oil filter with oil.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 am

I traded a Turbo 2 trans I had sitting around that didn't have a bellhousing for a T3 RCA kit.

I think I need an alignment.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Fri May 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Back on the street, finally. Still need an alignment though.

My friend and I went to do a small photoshoot tonight. We only got like one decent photo. More photo shoots are scheduled.

I think this photo captures the "essence" of my car.