Project Missle (the AE86/S13 crossbreed)

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Project Missle (the AE86/S13 crossbreed)

Postby iamalexreece » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Like most members who have been on here for a few years I was sad to see that we lost so much good info when the site went down but I am happy that things are starting to fall back in place. It looks like the community is coming back to what it used to be.

I got so much help with my build before & met a lot of really awesome people because of this board. So I want to put my build back on here with the hope that I will be able to learn a lot of new stuff, & meet even more new people.

Here goes...

So I call it "the missile" because I have no intention of making this car pretty. It's one purpose in life is to be beat up at the track. Strictly a machine built for battle & wall taps.

So here is what's going on so far:

I got the car from a good friend of mine a little over a year ago. It's basically a hand-me-down GTS shell. It was going to be scrapped or sold off because most of the parts have been transfered over to my friends new shell (the black one in the pics below) but I am more than excited to have it now!!

Here is when we started rebuilding the cars:

Putting in some more work.

The interior won't be changing too much. The steering wheel is from a newer corolla, not sure what year.

I might add a dash tho...

So the 20v, tranny, & GTS rear end that used to be in this car have already been swapped into the black car. Over the summer I picked up the new heart: a nicely rebuilt KA24DE from an S13!!! I know the Toyota purists will hate it, but Toyota & Nissan have always been my two favorite brands, so I'm putting the two together. I've also owned a couple S13's over the years & know the power plant pretty well. I have also heard only good things from people who have done the swap before. The motor has a bunch of new parts, ported head, ARP studs, & rebuilt transmission. I already bought a mount kit, & custom driveshaft a few months ago from another c4ag member. (I'm not sure if BJ is back on the board yet but he used to go by "AEbused" on here. I recommend him to anyone looking for some custom work. His stuff is top notch & he is a real knowledgeable, standup guy!!)

Work on the car has been slow, but I finally got to drop off all the stuff I've been collecting about a week ago:
Sorry about the blurry pic (got some grease on my phone lens)

Got the mounts bolted up

The valve cover was looking a little boring so My buddy threw a coat of paint on it...

Everything was going well, then we ran into a slight dilemma with the right side mounting bracket

I didn't have my drill with me so we had to stop.

Next time we are going to: install the clutch & flywheel, transmission, open up the holes on the mounting brackets & drop the motor & trans in.

I gotta get a new radiator, the one I have is about 2 inches too tall. It's off of an integra. My brother in law is a big Honda guy & had it laying in his back yard.
Here's a pic of it.

Things are coming along nicely. I'm looking for a few random parts now:

-An uncut s13 wire harness
-I'm thinking of using a Cressida fuel pump since it puts out the perfect amout of fuel for the KA
-an s13 maf & intake
-a header & exhaust

Let me know if you have any advice on the build or any parts laying around.

Thanks in advance!!

BumbleB

Re: Project Missle (the AE86/S13 crossbreed)

Postby BumbleB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 am

I am trading my S14 for a KA powered AE friday. I will let you know how it feels.

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 am

BumbleB wrote:I am trading my S14 for a KA powered AE friday. I will let you know how it feels.

Awesome!! Definitely let me know how it handles!! You will have to start a thread on here too so we can check out your new car. It should be fun, I heard the torque the KA puts down is a blast in the 86!! :D

BumbleB

Postby BumbleB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:23 pm

I am on the fence about the car but I am very excited to play with it. It has a mustang rear camaro shocks and a ton of other stuff so I am very stoked to get it. I will totally let you know how it handles compared to my RX8.

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:34 pm

BumbleB wrote:I am on the fence about the car but I am very excited to play with it. It has a mustang rear camaro shocks and a ton of other stuff so I am very stoked to get it. I will totally let you know how it handles compared to my RX8.

Sounds like its well done. I have a buddy (who I met through c4ag) who has a ford rearend on his 86 & says those things are crazy strong!! I would love to upgrade mine to a ford 8.8 also... probably after I get the car up & running first!!

That will be an interesting comparison (rx8 vs 86) Rx8's handle really well. I sold cars for a Mazda dealership in Cali for a while & I used to love taking out the rx8's & mx5's for test drives!!

BumbleB

Postby BumbleB » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 pm

The RX8 is amazing in a turn. You just feel so confident that you will know ahead of any issues you would have in a turn over/understeer. My RX8 is the reason why I did not buy a FR-S.

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Just a quick update:

Work on the crossbred missile has been slow. We are almost done with my buddies 20v project though!! I'm guessing the 20v will be running by the end of the month.

As for my crossbreed: I decided to beautify the valve cover a lil bit & this happened

My wife had a Spider-Man "tow hook buddy" on her car for a long time, & I had a figure of venom hanging from mine (until the neighbor kids stole him a couple months ago) so I thought it would be fitting to continue the Spider-Man theme... Plus Carnage is just so awesome... Who wouldn't want to rock a Carnage valve cover???

I still might throw a layer of clear coat sparkles on it just to make it even more outrageous.... We'll see. For now: I dig it.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:14 am

Dang now I'm not the only one with a white engine block. :x
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

carbd7age wrote:Dang now I'm not the only one with a white engine block. :x

Haha!! I was thinking of adding some more pictures to the block... But I decided against it, cuz the white just looks so "fresh & so clean"!! :lol:

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Wed May 14, 2014 9:20 pm

So it's time to get back to work on this thing. Life happens and projects get pushed back... But now I am back at it. In the last couple months I've been able to collect a dusty manifold, downpipe and exhaust. A stock intake, and a wiring harness.

I think once it's cleaned up: the stock dual tip S13 exhaust will look pretty cool on the 86

Time to start putting pieces together.
There is definitely going to be some fab work, some chopping, some welding, and some frustration involved to make this Frankenstein build work but it's just a matter of putting in the time now.

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Fri May 16, 2014 7:15 pm

PM me I think I have a extra s13 Maf.

Nice build :)
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Mon May 19, 2014 8:41 am

marley4us wrote:PM me I think I have a extra s13 Maf.

Nice build :)

Thanks for the comment. I sent you a pm.