Another AE86 Coupe Build - Take 2

truenorican
Club4AG Enthusiast

Another AE86 Coupe Build - Take 2

Postby truenorican » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 am

I've own a couple of AE92s and previously picked up an AE86 SR5 shell but gave up on converting to a GTS because the prices for the individual parts are ridiculous. It was cheaper for me to buy a running true GTS than finish converting the SR5.

I sold off the shell and whatever parts I could from the failed conversion and now I have this 86 which is a better starting point. It does have rust issues but oh well. When I purchased this 86 it came with LSD, BC Coils, T3 Panhard Bar, T3 Traction Brackets for $4,100 in December 2016. It also came with a bunch of extra parts which I sold a few and made an extra $350, so the car was about $3,750. It only came with one racing seat, so I went ahead and purchased two clean GTS seats from the PO's friend for $100.

I was trying to sell the GTS since I have to pay for a separate garage and no time but everyone wants to trade or low ball. I may be renting a house soon with a garage. So, I'm a just keep it for now and work on it as I can.

Here is how she's sitting right now:

I had to purchase the rear BC coilover height adjusters because for some reason, it didn't have them installed.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Re: Another AE86 Coupe Build - Take 2

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 am

Looks like a very solid start!

I vote keeping it. The chances of finding a solid GTS for under 5k these days are VERY VERY slim.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

HatchBoy

Postby HatchBoy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Jayrdee wrote:Looks like a very solid start!

I vote keeping it. The chances of finding a solid GTS for under 5k these days are VERY VERY slim.

+2! should keep this solid gem!

truenorican
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenorican » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was able to tinker a little bit with the 86 this past weekend. I caught a flat right near the sidewall on my rear tire and decided to just replace both rear tires since they weren't in the best condition. The tires that were originally on the corolla was 195/45/15 but Tire Kingdom didn't have any ability to get that size. They did have some Hankook's 195/50/15, so I just went ahead and picked them up. They fill up the wheel well nicely and ride good.

When I went around the car checking the lug nuts before taking it on a spin to run errands, I snapped a stud in the front. :roll:

Here are a few pics: