My Beams Swap build thread

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

My Beams Swap build thread

Postby povertymobile » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Hello everyone.

I am just starting to embark on the process of swapping an 3SGE BEAMs engine into my AE86. I know there is tons of information online, and I've been taking full advantage of that. But I just wanted to create a new thread where I could catalog my build and also get input from others who have gone through this process.

So a little backstory now, about 4 months ago I started to notice white smoke from my exhaust. Also prior to this something about the car wasn't right, it was getting very hot on the temp gauge even though I'd just installed a brand new Koyo radiator with electric fans. So I began to suspect that there could be something wrong with the head gasket. My suspicions were affirmed when I started to find a gross brow substance in my coolant overflow tank. When I let the substance sit it separated into oil and coolant. Originally I thought just to replace the Head gasket so I got a TRD .5mm and some other new effects like light weight pulleys and an HKS timing belt along with the adjustable cam gears. I was ready to rebuild this thing and make it look nice.

Now, let me say I am not the most mechanically inclined person. I've also never had any experience with setting engine timing, so I was hoping to learn from this experience. I enlisted the help of an old friend, my pal Martin who is an older gentleman from the UK, he grew up working on minis and such. He came over and told me that since I've already removed the exhaust and intake manifold there wasn't much left to do to remove the engine.

I already had the idea of the swap in my mind but hearing it from him just made me decide to go with it. I already wanted to go BEAMs because its a modern engine with modern technology and also it has a 6-speed which I like. So I decided to buy one locally, here is a photo of the engine when I first got it about a week ago:

The engine was delivered the day I bought it and I just kind of admired it for a little while. Then I started to remove the engine cover. This took a lot of effort. I just got it off today but the hex screws were in very bad shape so I had to drill a few of them out. Here are some photos:

I was also able to get the old 4a removed along with the t50 about a week go. Here's some photos of the engine and trans being removed (this was easier than I expected):

The 4age and t50 are so much smaller than the Beams setup!

So anyway now that the cover is off, I am wondering what bolts I should use to replace the destroyed hex ones? I haven't measured them but I am unsure on how to determine the thread pitch.

Just a little background on the setup I am using: I've got an updated cross member from xcessive manufacturing along with a lot of their other parts for this swap (this includes an updated transmission crossmember, motor mounts, a series 2 subframe crossmember, and a j160 shifter relocation kit) . Here is a link to their website it has all the products I'm currently using: https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/toyot ... ssion.html

I'l probably contact the guys I got the mounts from for some suggestions as to how much I need to hammer the firewall to make the engine and transmission fit. But if anyone has experience with this swap or even better with this kit, please chime in. Any advice is extremely appreciated.

Oh one last photo, of the engine with the cover removed:

Last photo I swear, my empty engine bay & the old 4age:

Thanks for looking! And thanks again for any help!
Last edited by povertymobile on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: My Beams Swap build thread

Postby aukword1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 pm

For the threads of the bolts just get a thread measurement tool. I think places like home depot have thread measurement tools in the nuts and bolts isle. Just bring one there and use theirs lol. Looks like a fun project, hear alot of good things about the swap. I didn't know you had to hammer out the firewall but I do know you need to do some cutting to get the transmission to fit properly. Anyhow, I'm sure someone who has done it before will chime in. Good luck with the build!

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:52 pm

aukword1 wrote:For the threads of the bolts just get a thread measurement tool. I think places like home depot have thread measurement tools in the nuts and bolts isle. Just bring one there and use theirs lol. Looks like a fun project, hear alot of good things about the swap. I didn't know you had to hammer out the firewall but I do know you need to do some cutting to get the transmission to fit properly. Anyhow, I'm sure someone who has done it before will chime in. Good luck with the build!

Thanks for the tip. I just got back from home depot, I wish I knew about this! Anyway, I'll take a look online to see if I can find the tool, sounds like something I might want to have around. This isn't the first time this has happened :lol: .

Well if anyone else has been through this before or just has some good resources, please pass them on. I'm really looking for any information on the engine as well. I'll probably be posting some more questions later or tomorrow, about what bits I should be removing.

I hope everyone has a good holiday!

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:12 am

Generally Toyota use the following
M6: 6mm x 1mm
M8: 8mm x 1.25mm
Fine 10mm: 10mm x 1.25mm
Fine 12mm: 12mm x 1.25mm

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm

jdm86gtz wrote:Generally Toyota use the following
M6: 6mm x 1mm
M8: 8mm x 1.25mm
Fine 10mm: 10mm x 1.25mm
Fine 12mm: 12mm x 1.25mm

Awesome! I'm going to go ahead and look into getting some of these ordered tonight. Thanks again!

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 pm

povertymobile wrote:Awesome! I'm going to go ahead and look into getting some of these ordered tonight. Thanks again!

I might be late on this, but I've found hardware stores other than Home Depot are good for metric bolts. I bought mine at a local Ace Hardware.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 am

Most of the bolts tht are holding the plastic bits in place are all the same, just different lengths. Im still working on my car which seems like it has been an eternity but I've been BSing a lot on the beams build... Good luck and if you have any questions let me know!
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

thehighflyin12

Postby thehighflyin12 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:43 am

Following, I too am starting this swap. I can't see any of your photos tho, it says the account needs to be updated for 3rd party sharing.
1985 Toyota Corolla GTS Hatch
2007 Nissan 350z Enthusiast
1993 Mazda RX-7
1975 302 swapped Datsun 280z

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Jeez, sorry for not updating this at all. Photo bucket started wanting to charge me photos so I just started posting everything through Instagram. I'll try to upload those photos over the weekend (y'all can look if you want, check it out here http://www.pictame.com/user/povertymobile/19805452 ).

I've been really slacking on this build, wish I was finished by now. All the components are here. Going to use mostly excessive manufacturing stuff to mount the engine and trans. Also got a linkg4 storm ECU and my wires from Mark at panic wire. Just got my engine bay painted about a month ago (used some POR15). I'm currently running into some issues with changing my clutch, have an ORC 309D but all the directions are in japanese so I'm not sure on torque numbers. Once the clutch is in, then I've gotta put on the ITB's and in she goes.

Anyway, I'm going to post here more so it motivates me to get out there and finish this thing!

Thanks for all the positive support!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm

povertymobile wrote:
Anyway, I'm going to post here more so it motivates me to get out there and finish this thing!

Thanks for all the positive support!

Please do! I've always been curious on the steps to do a beams swap in an ae86.

A little fyi, I've been using Flickr to host all my forum pictures. Pretty much what photobucket used to be, except owned by yahoo.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am

Sweet! thanks for the tip, I'll go ahead and start using them for my future photos. As it stands right now, I've only just put in a new cross member from xcessive manufacturing that is supposed to help with the fitment of the beams but haven't installed any engine parts so it should still be a decent build thread.

check it out: https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/index ... r-752.html

it's the series 2, it moves the positioning back a little bit. I'll try to upload some photos of it later on today.