"Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

KYHachi
Club4AG Regular

Re: "Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

Postby KYHachi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:09 pm

You're part of a fairly exclusive group in these parts ;)
1986 MR2 - Restoration Project
1987 MR2 - DD/20V Project
1986 Corolla GT-S - GZE/AutoX/Just-for-fun Project
1997 Starlet Glanza V - Tokyo DD Project

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:55 pm

I had been getting a lot of spring noise when turning with the new suspension setup, so I bought Fortune Auto's Radial Bearing Mount upgrade to fix the issue. finally got around to installing them today

If anyone is interested in the who/what/when/why/how, all that mumbo jumbo can be found here.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21044

And some eye candy, brought to you buy a local photographer.
You can follow her instagram page here @thateurochick_
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:09 pm

looking nice, i have that exact same steering wheel in mine btw lol.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 am

aukword1 wrote:looking nice, i have that exact same steering wheel in mine btw lol.

I feel like they should have just came from the factory with these steering wheels on Lol. I see these steering wheels on AE86s more than I do the oem wheel, or any other aftermarket for that matter.

ae86ozzy
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae86ozzy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Can you send me an email to the link or where you bought the car please thanks o_oszy@yahoo.com

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 pm

ae86ozzy wrote:Can you send me an email to the link or where you bought the car please thanks o_oszy@yahoo.com

I found the car via goo-net exchange. But that's pretty much just a website for local dealerships to post their inventory. They do not ship nor buy cars for people. You will have to arrange all of that yourself.

ae86ozzy
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae86ozzy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks boss appreciate the fast response

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Went to a little car show thats hosted throughout the year by a buddy of mine and his friends, SouthernRoots. I invited two other fellow AE86 owners (we've never met each other in person) to come so we can have our own little section 8-) 8-)

Multiple AE86s in the same spot is a VERY rare occurrence here in Kentucky.

And a 4th showed up later on in the evening! KYHachi and EvoSolley should recognize the car :lol:

KYHachi
Club4AG Regular

Postby KYHachi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

WTF, 4 AE86s in the same place in KY at the same time???!?!! hahaha Ahhhhhh and all of them are so much nicer than my beater. I'll have to see if I can join you guys in the AW when I'm home for a bit next year ;)

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:38 am

Nice! Those tires are super duper thick!!! I'm shopping around for wheel/tire/ suspension stuff now. I still have my inner fender guards on ao i have to be careful! I don't intend on taking them out. they already rub the Celica supras.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 am

KYHachi wrote:WTF, 4 AE86s in the same place in KY at the same time???!?!! hahaha Ahhhhhh and all of them are so much nicer than my beater. I'll have to see if I can join you guys in the AW when I'm home for a bit next year ;)

YES!! There was actually a 5th one out in the parking lot, we tried waiting around for the owner to get him to come park with us but by the time he came around it was too late. We all had a good long chat about Corollas and 4ag motors, asking eachother questions etc. Very humbling moment finally meeting everyone, especially in this day and age where the car "scene" can be very cliquey at times.

grappletech wrote:Nice! Those tires are super duper thick!!! I'm shopping around for wheel/tire/ suspension stuff now. I still have my inner fender guards on ao i have to be careful! I don't intend on taking them out. they already rub the Celica supras.

Lol I prefer the old-school meaty look on these cars. Plus these tires are pretty affordable for a performance summer tire ... I just wish they offered them a 185/60 or 195/50 or something like that because even after rolling the fenders they still rub quite a bit over certain corners and harsh bumps. In the front its mainly the little tab where the bumper meets the fender. But they feel great and look good so its a trade-off I guess.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm

It was slow at work one evening so I got one of the lube techs to let me borrow his rack for a little bit. Good thing I got it in the air Lol :oops: :lol: :(

I don't know if its a head gasket leak, or coming from I think that little plate on the backside of the motor towards the firewall. Both areas are covered in coolant residue. I plan on taking the car to another ae86 owner who is a Tech at a different Toyota dealership and have him help me troubleshoot my AC system anyways so I will have him do a leak down test to see if it is indeed the head gasket. Oh well ... another thing to add to the list I guess.

At least she looks good though :lol: :lol:

In reference to my little to-do list, I sold the gold Volk Mesh wheels to another ae86 local up towards the Cincinnati area for $700. I'm using that cash to buy my waterpump, belts, plugs, fix this leak, etc. I've also decided to upgrade the pulleys via T3 as well. I'm super pumped, mainly because this is an excuse to get in the garage, drink a few beers, and turn some wrenches, which I am in desperate need of. This Electrical Engineering stuff is no joke.

KYHachi
Club4AG Regular

Postby KYHachi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am

That is very pink hahahaha

I'd definitely check that bypass around the back of the head. Mine leaked pretty bad in the past. Man, doing that kind of a basic overhaul of the engine and stuff will be great! Can't wait to see what happens next.

FWIW,I recently discovered these guys have a bit better pricing on genuine Toyota stuff compared to T3.
https://shop.battlegarage-rs.com/collec ... aintenance

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 am

KYHachi wrote:That is very pink hahahaha

I'd definitely check that bypass around the back of the head. Mine leaked pretty bad in the past. Man, doing that kind of a basic overhaul of the engine and stuff will be great! Can't wait to see what happens next.

FWIW,I recently discovered these guys have a bit better pricing on genuine Toyota stuff compared to T3.
https://shop.battlegarage-rs.com/collec ... aintenance

I know right? Lol. I think it is that little plate because whats in the picture is just blowback. It all looks like its coming from that direction, and I feel like that small gasket would go bad before the head gasket.

And yeah they're awesome! Thats actually where I'm getting my Timing Belt from. Ironically, I can get an OEM Toyota 4ag timing belt via BattleGarage but I can't get one through Toyota anymore?

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:37 am

Bro you look exactly like Will Wheaton through Big Bang era LOL.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 am

CloudStrife wrote:Bro you look exactly like Will Wheaton through Big Bang era LOL.

Lol the guy in the pictures is the tech who let me use his rack.

Usually everyone says I look like Kumar or the dude off Super Troopers haha

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:05 am

Oh I see lol my bad.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 am

No major update. Although I did get all my parts to do my little overhaul this winter. I was able to get the waterpump, gaskets, and spark plugs from Toyota, and I got the OEM Timing Belt via BattleGarage. I will get the drive belts when I do the work. It shouldn't be a problem to take them to Car Quest or something to have them match it up. Next on the list is to have the AC stuff checked out, and look into getting this coolant leak fixed. I did some more looking and it is that plate on the back-side of the motor. Trying to replace the gasket in there is going to be a challenge with it being literally in between the engine and firewall. I might have to pull the transmission out to get up in there.
I still need to get the pulley's, but thats optional depending on how much its going to cost me to get the AC fixed.

Side note, I bought the little 4age sticker to go on the timing cover. Who would have thought 4 letters would be so iconic?

Some random pics I took in the garage playing with the camera/lens I rarely use Lol. I really need to use it more

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:19 pm

the back of the Head , water neck looks harder than it is pretty simple but shouldnt be hard
its 2 12mm bolts best to use a 12mm close wrench or slim socket socket wrench i used a gasket
local parts dealer and my go to rtv ultra grey for all coolant seals works great been using it for years,
remember to drain the coolant before removing

link below what rtv i use

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82194-H ... B000HBGI8K

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 pm

mad_86 wrote:the back of the Head , water neck looks harder than it is pretty simple but shouldnt be hard
its 2 12mm bolts best to use a 12mm close wrench or slim socket socket wrench i used a gasket
local parts dealer and my go to rtv ultra grey for all coolant seals works great been using it for years,
remember to drain the coolant before removing

link below what rtv i use

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82194-H ... B000HBGI8K

Thanks! Knowing what size those bolts are is going to help a lot Lol

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:38 am

Just caught up on all of this, I'm so pissed I missed grassroots!! so much ae86 brotherly love out there! Love what you have done to the car thus far, love knowing this car is local too! I got to get mine finished, I just want to friggin drive it again haha!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 pm

EvoSolley wrote:I got to get mine finished, I just want to friggin drive it again haha!

Yeah dude, get yours back together so we can have corolla hangs.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 am

You lazy slut, what you been doing?

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 am

CloudStrife wrote:You lazy slut, what you been doing?

Finals week homie! Hell, I feel like a slut with how badly ive been getting shafted by these exams Lol.

I only have one exam left, and then I'm off until the second week of January so I'm going to do my little overhaul during winter break.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 am

Oh right on man, what's your major? EE?

Just remember, once you pass the class you can just memory dump everything hehe.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:59 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Oh right on man, what's your major? EE?

Just remember, once you pass the class you can just memory dump everything hehe.

Yes sir, EE with a minor in Math.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Do you like to fry your brain??

No but seriously, that is awesome. EE is hard enough, I can't imagine going around easy electives to take a rest with, and then, just, you know, signing up for a hard minor too :)

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 am

CloudStrife wrote:Do you like to fry your brain??

No but seriously, that is awesome. EE is hard enough, I can't imagine going around easy electives to take a rest with, and then, just, you know, signing up for a hard minor too :)

It's actually kind of the opposite! All classes needed for a math minor are already incorporated in the EE curriculum, all except one class which I'm taking later so it's kind of like two birds one stone. I also totally screwed myself over by taking all my easy classes first so literally the next 2 final semesters are nothing but your high end stupid math/engineering courses Lol. I can feel my brain sizzling in a frying pan whenever I'm at the library haha

On the subject of the ae86, I basically I have everything I need except the little gasket that goes on the water bypass thing on the back of the motor. Once i get that then I'm good to go. Just gotta find a couple days where I can take over the garage and do it.

I think I've decided to pass on the T3 pulleys and go with NST since they're significantly cheaper too. Ballin on a budget!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Well fellas, I just opened my first can of worms. Good thing I decided to do this job during my winter break Lol. At this point I'm just bored in the garage with nothing else to do.

I snapped a bolt on the upper water outlet when removing the waterpump. Easy out didn't work, blowtorch didn't work, so now I'm waiting on a dude with a welder to get a little nut on there and see about removing it that way. I'd rather not drill and tap the head.

"sick pink paint job, bro"

Once this bolt gets removed it will be a straight forward process to get this timing belt/waterpump job done.

The coolant leak on the backside of the motor? Yeahhhhhh ... I'm anticipating those bolts to snap too. I'm leaning towards pulling the transmission to do that job, and in that case I might as well replace the clutch ...... :roll:

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Next time, make sure you use a penetrating solution and let it soak overnight on ALL bolts you plan on messing with.

Also, from my experience, water pump, crank, any lower engine or "hard to reach" bolts will give you trouble.

If it's an iron block, you could just warm it up before you mess with it too.

Why not tap it? I've done it before with the same situation (for a DA integra knuckle arm bolt). I just went to harbor freight, got a tap and die set, used it, broke it, and returned it :).

Welding a nut on there sounds terrible lol.

And you should never, ever be cranking so hard that you snap the bolt. Everytime I snapped one, I knew I should have backed off. All you need to do is break loose that first rusted thread. Sometimes tapping it with a hammer is all you need.