"Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: "Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Installed my coilovers this past weekend. and remember my previous post about how I decided to buy all new Pads, Rotors, Wheel bearings, etc.? I spent about 250$ for all of that stuff ... and I didn't use ANY of it Lol. When changing the suspension, noticed the pads were pretty much brand new, took the hubs off and noticed it had fresh grease, even the cotter pin was new haha.

I guess I have spare parts now?

I wrote a little review of the whole setup here:
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21044

Turns out I maybe somewhat jumped the gun on buying new coilovers too! LOL :mrgreen: :oops: I should have taken the time to see what I actually had on there. TRD blue rear struts and potential TRD springs? I couldn't find any markings on the springs, but that dark blue color looks like TRD. Not sure about the fronts though besides the cusco camber plates.
oh well ... more spare parts

The old setup.

I also never realized how off-center the rear axle was due to the lateral bar until I lowered it in the rear. Of course I didn't have a big enough wrench to adjust it, and then the one I bought was too small. I believe the nut is a 29mm, but of course thats not a common size. Ended up getting a 1-3/16 to fit. It was also seized up pretty bad, but nothing a good dose of PB Blaster couldn't handle.

Here is the car in its current state. Need to adjust the height some more, but its functional. Definitely not a fan of the "raked" look, but I think thats mainly due to the rear tires being larger than the front.

Now I just need an alignment, and then roll the fenders for the new wheels :D
[Eurobeat Intensifies]

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

my86mystory
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby my86mystory » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Love the car man! Low key jealous about the car and the experience of RHD, but not jealous of the what it takes to get one lol. Please make as frequent updates about the coilovers as possible. Im on whats possibly my last 86 and Ive always had greddys, but seeing as theyre discontinued i need to look elsewhere. Looking forward to all future updates!

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am

Lol dude, not to put you down but your old setup is awesome. Are the shocks even bad?

Are those Cusco camber plates height adjustable or not?

Either way you can make good money back on selling either one. It is always good to have 2 setups though in case you need to rebuild.. or want a track setup and DD setup.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 pm

my86mystory wrote:Love the car man! Low key jealous about the car and the experience of RHD, but not jealous of the what it takes to get one lol. Please make as frequent updates about the coilovers as possible. Im on whats possibly my last 86 and Ive always had greddys, but seeing as theyre discontinued i need to look elsewhere. Looking forward to all future updates!

Haha thanks man! and yeahhhhh ... draining your entire savings account for a 30 year old Toyota, sight unseen and on the opposite side of the globe, isn't the brightest idea Lol. Once I get the car aligned and tackle some back-roads I'll be sure to update the review thread.

CloudStrife wrote:Lol dude, not to put you down but your old setup is awesome. Are the shocks even bad?

Are those Cusco camber plates height adjustable or not?

Either way you can make good money back on selling either one. It is always good to have 2 setups though in case you need to rebuild.. or want a track setup and DD setup.

Oh dude its all good man. Total mistake on my part. They're not bad at all! I just wanted something new and to be able to adjust the rear height. Don't think the camber plates are height adjustable though.

My thought process was just like ... well, idk whats on it, they look old, I like my buddy's Lexus (he has FA on his IS300), and FA makes a set for the AE86 so ... why not? Lol

No joke as soon as I pulled off the rears and saw the Toyota part number I was like "Sh*t ........." haha

I will say this ... its odd, even though the FAs are significantly stiffer, the overall ride quality is better! The old stuff was good, but kind of bouncy. You'd think it would be the opposite.
[Eurobeat Intensifies]

Disable adblock

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Lol, next time just buy rear adjustable perches:
https://shop.battlegarage-rs.com/collec ... lover-type
*priced with springs.

Just remember that those shocks are probably old as hell and can account for the "bouncy feel". You can look up how to test shocks on the internetz ;)

I just say this because coming from Japan, you probably have a dope list of quality parts on there, and you'll be paying out the ass for new stuff.

Also, I've talked to many smart dudes about rear adjustability, and the consesus is it's not really neccesary for anything non-track. But I also never see N2 with em' on so who knows.

Christ, I think you even have authentic TRD RCAs LOL.

Btw, Cusco height adjustable camber plates are hard to find; Project Mu (not going to find the micro greek symbol) is easier to come accross.

Either way FA/ BC or custom is the best way to go so you're doing fine either way!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 pm

I saw those on their website! haha I almost bought them but was unsure on how much lower I could go in the rear. Thats when I saw the Fortune Autos for sale on their website and later found that review from a few years ago.

Also another thing I should add, I'm kind of weird when it comes to organization. I like things to "match" Lol. So when it comes to cars, mismatched parts and/or uneven ride heights is a big no-go for me haha.
[Eurobeat Intensifies]

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby CloudStrife » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:41 am

No worries man, I'm a Cusco slut so that's what I buy. Even if there is no evidence that using the same company for everything creates a better car, I still like using the same line.

I even color match lol.

I might have to pick your brain about the JDM automatic climate control. I bought one because I like the gauge face better, but I doubt the USDM Corollas come from the factory with the plugs for this...

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 am

Just had a chance to look at this update. Car sits perfect and those new coils look soooo clean! also, not to shabby of a "spare" setup too hahaha. Also thanks for the write up and I'm looking forward to another review later on down the road. Keep p the progress!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:47 pm

CloudStrife wrote:I might have to pick your brain about the JDM automatic climate control. I bought one because I like the gauge face better, but I doubt the USDM Corollas come from the factory with the plugs for this...

I'll be working on the 86 this weekend so I'll try and snap some pics while I'm at it.

EvoSolley wrote:Just had a chance to look at this update. Car sits perfect and those new coils look soooo clean! also, not to shabby of a "spare" setup too hahaha. Also thanks for the write up and I'm looking forward to another review later on down the road. Keep p the progress!

Thanks homie!

a little side note. These came in the mail today ...

Brand new. Fresh off the boat.
RS-Watanabe B Type
14x7.5 +1.5

I also bought tires.
195/60r14 Falken Azenis RT-615K

Lets hope I can get them mounted and the car aligned this weekend!
[Eurobeat Intensifies]

Disable adblock

Return to “OWNERS and BUILDERS”