"Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Re: "Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:17 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Next time, make sure you use a penetrating solution and let it soak overnight on ALL bolts you plan on messing with.

Also, from my experience, water pump, crank, any lower engine or "hard to reach" bolts will give you trouble.

If it's an iron block, you could just warm it up before you mess with it too.

Why not tap it? I've done it before with the same situation (for a DA integra knuckle arm bolt). I just went to harbor freight, got a tap and die set, used it, broke it, and returned it :).

Welding a nut on there sounds terrible lol.

And you should never, ever be cranking so hard that you snap the bolt. Everytime I snapped one, I knew I should have backed off. All you need to do is break loose that first rusted thread. Sometimes tapping it with a hammer is all you need.

Theres still a decent amount of the bolt sticking out of the head so I'm going to try and use that to my advantage.

And dude, the crappy part is I wasn't even cranking that hard! No breaker bars, no impacts, etc. I was slowly working its way loose like the top one and then, snap Lol. If the easy out, and blow torch can't break it loose, then it was bound to snap anyways. It's just old and rusty.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:37 am

That sucks dude. One of the downsides (or positives..) of buying RHD, is that they don't replace **** like we do. So it's probably 30+ year old factory bolts, left the factory @torque spec, and poor jake just got shafted :).

I would still tap it. I can't imagine welding a nut to a broken stud in a tight space. But if hes coming over anyway...

honestly your best bet is drilling it out if its that fragile, it should just break apart.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:26 pm

How did things work out man? This weather and the holidays makes things so boring!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:39 pm

CloudStrife wrote:How did things work out man? This weather and the holidays makes things so boring!

The dude came Wednesday evening and it worked like a charm!

I then spent Thursday morning/afternoon putting her back together, burped the coolant system, etc. No lie, I was super nervous after it was all said and done since this was honestly the first time ever doing a job like this 100% independently, but its all good!

Jayrdee wrote:
Laundry list:
1) trouble shoot and repair digital dash. It works only like, 30% of the time. The speed works, but I have no rpms, water temp, or fuel. Those come and go as they please. When everything is on it functions correctly so I think I have a bad ground or some corrosion somewhere. I'm putting the dash #1 priority because my water pump has a bad gasket. It seeps a little coolant but the car doesn't overheat. So ... the temp gauge is pretty important for me right now :lol:

2) "100k service". Replace the waterpump, drive belts, timing belt, and spark plugs. The timing cover says the timing belt was changed at 50k miles roughly 15 years ago, it has plenty of life left but looks old. This is perfect timing though since I have the bad gasket as mentioned before. and I'm right at like, 90,000 miles so its getting close enough. I'd like to check the valve clearances too. It has a slight sewing machine tick to it.
2.5) Upgrade the pulleys via T3 or NST. Might as well do it since I'll have to take this stuff off anyways. I figured it will be a convenient way to free up a little bit of power.

3) troubleshoot steering components. The steering return isn't that great, and the steering wheel is off center. I noticed it was like that when I first got the car, and its still off center even after its most recent alignment. It has to be something in the steering column or the gear in the rack. I don't think its anything tie rod related because those are all new, and the alignment is within spec. I fiddled with the height in the front a little bit, but I doubt that will affect the steering return.

4) continue to work on the fenders. I tackled a few corners last night and noticed the rubbing was pretty bad up front when turning. I think they just need to be pulled out more towards the top of the fender. The rears still rub occasionally too if I hit a bump hard enough. This is only rough driving though, its not a problem cruising around town. Im finding this to be challenging because I'm trying to roll/pull the fenders while retaining the stock body lines. I'm not a fan of fenders that look like bacon. :mrgreen:

5) troubleshoot A/C system. Everything is there, might as well see if it will work. Having AC is nice here in KY where it gets really hot and humid. Plus I mean, how many AE86s have working AC anyways?!

6) start saving up $$$ and sourcing parts for a transmission and rear diff rebuild. Both are noisy as sh*t!!! whining gears mean dying gears, right? (not a big priority atm though)

Looks like #2 and #3 are done! #6 I think has moved up in priority and turned into a clutch job. Mainly because I decided to hold off on the other coolant leak until I can pull the transmission. I'd rather snap the bolts when the car is already in the air.

And just for sh*ts and giggles, some buddies came over to hangout while I worked on the Corolla over New Years, and we (mainly me) ended up drinking too much Lol. So here's some pics of me that I dont remember :lol: :lol:

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Hahaha, that is hilarious man.

Pat yourself on the back, I sold my miata after trying to do WP and TB. I ran into a lot more issues, and the crank has a fun way of seizing, but it's still a decent job.

Your digi-dash is likely just worn on the tracings of the "board". Or I guess it could be connections. Usually, when you have total failure across all systems like that, it means signal or current that is shared is either shorted or missing.

but if you take it out and study it, I'm sure it won't be that hard for an EE student :).

Otherwise, finding a JDM service manual and translating it would be a biotch. Maybe there are write-ups here that go over operation..

Your systems failure actually makes sense, since I'm pretty sure speed is still mechanically driven via speedo cable and gears, all other signals are fed electronically..

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 am

r e t r o e v e r y t h i n g

But yeah I agree on the dash. Everything functions properly, it just comes and goes as it pleases so it must be a ground issue somewhere, maybe corrosion or a loose wire or something. Really that job is just a matter of me not being lazy and taking it all apart. :lol:

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 am

Bro, you got me with the Vice City. Wonder if they have it on PSN yet.. Just got a PS4, no thread jack :D.

It's probably just a ground. When I had the digi dash in my 80s vett, it did the same thing.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm

By the way, I forgot to ask. You said you had full insurance I believe.. How does that work?

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:38 am

My entire childhood pretty much revolved around Gran Turismo and GTA. I blame Vice City for my love for everything 80s Lol.

And my car is insured through Hagerty. Its not necessarily full coverage, but liability at an agreed value. In my case, its insured for $17k. Set aside it not being full coverage, the only downside is I have a mileage limit, I can only drive 5k miles per year. I could get full coverage from like, state farm or progressive or something but they could only value the car at book value. Book value on an 84 Corolla?! .. naahhhh haha

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:10 am

Right, right, I gotcha. Trust me, I understand the value of a money pit total loss.. My turbo 99 si with 70k miles and LS build, leather interior, and gobs of other money, got stolen by a chop shop in Hawaii. I bought it for 10k, and still had a loan on it (was 19). USAA gave me 3.5k.

I didn't have a JDM car for like 2 years after that, I was so mad.

So, how does "agreed upon price work"? Is it because you used the auction price? I feel like us LHD USDM guys wouldn't be able to make it work, even with a binder full of receipts..

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 am

Ouch ... Yeah, I know the feeling. I remember pretty much destroying my bedroom after my 00 SI got rear ended. I didn't have a loan or anything but I spent all my money I saved while in Basic/AIT on it, aka too much cash for a 19 year old Lol.

The agreed value thing was pretty interesting. I think I filled out an application online first, and initially wanted to insure it for $20k. A few minutes later a representative called me asking about my application and why I picked that number. He was pretty much like:

"Honestly, I've never even heard of the car before so I just googled 1984 Corolla and went to the first for sale link I found. There's a few 90s models worth like 3-4k, the 80s models vary from 13-17k, and the 70s models are in the 20k range."
Me: "Yeah my 20k was just a random number I picked. I only paid 13.5k for it. These weren't ever sold in the US, and they don't come up for sale very often. And the ones that do come up for sale are usually pretty beat. This one was purchased from a legitimate dealership plus extra to get it here to the US."
Him: "Well, I don't think I can do 20k. The one I'm looking at now looks to be roughly the same condition as yours, but with less miles. What about 17k?"
Me: "Will that value affect my yearly rate?"
Him: "Yepp, it will be $250 cheaper"
Me: "you gotta deal buddy" Lol.

I think I pay $1150 for a full year? Ironically thats less than what I would have to pay if I were to have a regular monthly insurance payment. (my driving record is still awful for me being a dumb@$$ in highschool)

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 am

Holy fack dude. That's awesome. I've never even heard of Haggerty TBH.

It sounds like it would be obtainable, but would take a lot of work. I'm glad it worked out for you though!

And I was Navy for 6 years. Good times, some bad, but miss those days. Always something to do! Plus I got to go to Asia a bunch.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Holy fack dude. That's awesome. I've never even heard of Haggerty TBH.

It sounds like it would be obtainable, but would take a lot of work. I'm glad it worked out for you though!

And I was Navy for 6 years. Good times, some bad, but miss those days. Always something to do! Plus I got to go to Asia a bunch.

Hagerty is great for premium insurance. Zero complaints whatsoever. But thats awesome man! I'm only in the Army National Guard so its just part time like the reserves. Been in as a mechanic for 4 years now with about a year and a half left to go.

Also ....

... wish me luck fellas. I have no idea what I'm doing :lol: :lol: :lol:

As mentioned before, the fuel, rpms, and temp gauges come and go as they please, but all function properly, which leads me to believe its a ground issue somewhere. They all must be going to the same place ... as far as where that "place" is? I have no idea. theres only one way to find out ?

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:27 pm

left plug of the digital cluster conected to the back of the cluster

1)Gauge fuse Red/blue stripe (5)
2)Tail fuse Black/brown dots (2)
3)Ground White/black stripe,pink dots (16)
4)Fuel sender gauge Yellow/red stripe (25)
5)------
6)Rheostat or ground Green/brown dots (3)
7)Gauge fuse (same as nr 1) Red/blue stripe (5)
8)Ground Brown/black dots (26)
9)------
10)Fuel level warning Yellow/blue stripe (24)
11)-----
12)Water temp sender gauge Yellow/green stripe (4)

Right plug (white plug from left to right)

1)EFI computer Green/red stripe (7)
2)Door Red/white stripe (21)
3)Dome fuse Red/green stripe (20)
4)-----
5)Turn signal switch terminal left green/black stripe,brown dots (27)
6)Dimmer switch terminal Red/green stripe (12)
7)Ground Brown/black dots (19)
8)Turn signal switch terminal right Green/yellow stripe,brown dots (2Cool
9)Charge fuse Yellow (10)
10)IGN fuse Black/orange stripe (9)
11)Oil pressure sender gauge/switch Yellow/black stripe (Cool
12)-------
13)Brake fluid level/parking brake switch Red/black stripe (6)
14)Rheostat or ground Green/brown dots (3)

The numbers behind the colors refer to the original location of the wires by page BE-22 from the AE86 manual
some wires(like pwr/econ,vacuum switch) simply remain unused and are not needed

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum ... ash-Pinout

Is there some reason I cannot find Japan service manuals on internet queries?

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 am

CloudStrife wrote:Is there some reason I cannot find Japan service manuals on internet queries?

Thanks for the info/link! That definitely helped out a lot. I doubt you can find Japanese service manuals on this cluster because it was a super rare option. The digital dash was a Zenki Levin GT-Apex option only.

I got curious to see if I could find anything on the circuit board that could cause the problem but didn't really find anything other than some corrosion on the solders. Not really anything I can do about that, so I'm just going to clean up the terminals on the connectors and put it all back together whenever I get time. I'm not comfortable taking the board apart any further.

Although, it was super interesting to see the odometer having the MPH thing on there. As far as I know these clusters are all in Km/h, but I bet there's a switch somewhere that will put it into MPH.

I'm not too worried about the rpms or fuel, but I definitely want the water temp gauge, so I think I'm going to look into getting a separate aftermarket gauge or something. I hate driving around not knowing if the car is over-heating or not.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 am

Honestly, I don't think you should go any further. Anything that is degraded would be before the point you're at..

The MPH thing is really interesting. AFAIK, that trim was only available in Japan, with no export. So..

Anyway, I really wish someone would chime in with a factory schematic. There is almost no way to troubleshoot if you don't have voltage, resistance, etc. reference points.

I guess you could look for opens or shorts... but that seems a little much.

Anyway, I would surmise the board and circuit trace is fine. I'd absolutely bet on connectors, plugs, etc. before anything else.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 am

By the way, did you find out if there was a common ground between the three readouts?

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:18 am

CloudStrife wrote:By the way, did you find out if there was a common ground between the three readouts?

Thats another reason why I decided to take the cluster apart. Out of that list you posted there's only 4 ground wires; 16, 26, 19, and 3. Everything else works fine so I was hoping I could at least trace which one is connected to the readouts, but that would require taking it apart further. I'm just going to clean up the connectors and stuff and put it back together.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:50 pm

No major update really.

I noticed after replacing the waterpump it was leaking just a little bit where the o-ring meets the head. Nothing anything major, but enough to be annoying. I had a hard time getting the waterpump mounted so I wouldn't be surprised if I messed up that o-ring a bit. Rather than taking it all apart and replacing the o-ring, this morning I took the belts and covers off and put some RTV around the edge. We'll see how long/if it holds up.

Took her for a test drive and snagged some pics

KYHachi
Club4AG Regular

Postby KYHachi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:29 am

Nice shots! The car is looking great! I'll have to see if the AW will be in the condition to be taken out while I'm back in LexVegas in Apr/May.
1986 MR2 - Restoration Project
1987 MR2 - DD/20V Project
1986 Corolla GT-S - GZE/AutoX/Just-for-fun Project
1997 Starlet Glanza V - Tokyo DD Project

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Its leaking from bypass pipe or front engine block inlet?!?

Either way order toyota spec ones they still have it,i used others any leaked later on.
Also if its the o ring on the bypass pipe its easyer to remove the upper water neck. To replace it and could be possible that it pinched the o-ring on install .

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 am

KYHachi wrote:Nice shots! The car is looking great! I'll have to see if the AW will be in the condition to be taken out while I'm back in LexVegas in Apr/May.

Dude!! Yeah man hit me up!! We can get some food and/or hangout at the "pit" :lol: : 8-)

mad_86 wrote:Its leaking from bypass pipe or front engine block inlet?!?

Either way order toyota spec ones they still have it,i used others any leaked later on.
Also if its the o ring on the bypass pipe its easyer to remove the upper water neck. To replace it and could be possible that it pinched the o-ring on install .

Its the front engine block inlet. The FSM said to remove the bypass pipe that runs to the back of the motor, but I left it on so mounting the waterpump to the block and the pipe simultaneously was a challenge (plus i'm a n00b and never done it before Lol). I wouldn't be surprised if I pinched that o-ring thats supposed to sit in the block during install.

On the bright side, the rtv I put on there held up :lol: :lol: I took the 86 on a 5 hour drive (2.5 hrs to/from a car show) and there weren't any leaks. you can see a few drops where the coolant wants to seep through, but it works well enough to hold me over until I can find the time to replace that o-ring. I got the other gaskets and stuff this week so its just a matter of finding the time.

86_dorifto
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_dorifto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Dude those are some nice pictures. I just found your build/import thread and it was a great read. Thanks for sharing.
KAZATO - 85 GTS Coupe

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Install tip:

For the front engine coolant inlet , when you do it
get a new O-Ring seal and put ultra grey rtv ,around o-ring. Also make sure block and water pump housing is clean and DRY! Before install , let rtv sit for 1hr min to let it seal properly.

Since ive been doing this never had mine leak again 5+yrs.

Its easy, but just very time consuming lol. GL

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am

86_dorifto wrote:Dude those are some nice pictures. I just found your build/import thread and it was a great read. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!! I always enjoy it when other people post pics so I gotta return the favor.

mad_86 wrote:Install tip:

For the front engine coolant inlet , when you do it
get a new O-Ring seal and put ultra grey rtv ,around o-ring. Also make sure block and water pump housing is clean and DRY! Before install , let rtv sit for 1hr min to let it seal properly.

Since ive been doing this never had mine leak again 5+yrs.

Its easy, but just very time consuming lol. GL

I'll give that a shot! Shoot, the rtv on the o-ring would help keep it in place! It was so frustrating trying to put the pump on, and then have the o-ring fall on the floor Lol. idk why I didn't think of that :lol:

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue May 01, 2018 8:51 am

Another minor update
(Its finals week and I'm just bored/tired of studying)

I paid my insurance for the year, and had some cash left over so I bought a new clutch and water temp gauge via Battle Garage. Now I can finally fix the coolant leak on the backside of the motor, and replace the clutch while the transmission is pulled. AND I can finally drive around town confidently about the engine temperature when the digital dash decides to turn off like is usually does.

I got all the gaskets to replace the current ones when I remove the water pump and fix the o-ring leak. Definitely will make sure the surface is clean/dry and add some more rtv when I put it back together. My ghetto repair is still holding up, but its uglyyy Lol. These next two months will be pretty busy so I won't be able to install this stuff anytime soon, but I'm hoping I can save up a little more during that time and get some lightweight pulleys. I figured i'll be taking that stuff off to remove the waterpump, so why not? 8-)

I'm also about to remove and sell the coilovers on my tC. My lady gets car sick super easily and the roads around town are pretty rough Lol. :lol:
Plus that will give me more Corolla money, maybe enough to get me some 20V ITBs and an adaptor plate? :twisted:

And as usual, here's some eye candy. These pics were taken by my buddy Yutong Wu at a little Toyota meet I went to this past weekend. He has a 1uz swapped AE86.
(multiple AE86s in one place is a RARE occurrence here in KY, so of course me and Wu had to park together)

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Yeah ... Still haven't fixed anything Lol. Its too nice outside to put her under the knife.

Although I did get a cool horn button off of a fellow forum member? Ended up having to get a little adaptor off amazon to make it work.

Anyways, here's some eye candy.

And some pictures after I did some "spirited" driving. This thing is too much fun.

Oh ... and happy belated 8/6 day! Me and a buddy co-ordinated a little "meet" to celebrate which was fun. There were only 3 of us AE86s though :cry:

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Man, there can not be enough pictures of this slab on here.
Solid machine, old top. And that interior never gets old. Lovely.
You are living the 8-6 life.
irony.cc

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 pm

RuizXIII wrote:Man, there can not be enough pictures of this slab on here.
Solid machine, old top. And that interior never gets old. Lovely.
You are living the 8-6 life.

Dude! Thank you for the kind words!

The 8-6 life is the best life Lol.