Bringing back an old AE86

isatoyuy

Bringing back an old AE86

Postby isatoyuy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm new here (Hi all). It was a while ago but a friend/co-worker of mine used to be a really heavy 86 driver (drift competitions, racing, all the fun stuff). But he's gotten older and the l)ast time he was in his car he blew the engine (figured out he melted 2 pistons). We got talking and he decided he would sell me his beloved 86 since he trust that I will take good care of it and bring it back to its former glory. So here's my new project, it's going to take some time but hopefully i'll get it running fully again soon.

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Bringing back an old AE86

Postby scalpel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:03 pm

looks like a nice start

isatoyuy

Postby isatoyuy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:04 am

Yea. It's in good shape other than the pistons. But seeing as it needs that, I was planning on doing a full build on the internals with a good tune to make sure the motor will run for a long time. Other than the engine it's pretty much done. Might beef up the drive train some but all the major work is finished.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:02 am

Not bad at all, even has a turbo in it. Nice come up!

isatoyuy

Postby isatoyuy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Got an old pic from the seller. I feel like it's a good goal for the car once it's finished.

I'll keep updating as I work on it. Going to pull the motor this weekend to send to the machine shop.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:22 am

drifting, racing.... with a FMU ?
must have switched wheels... normal AE culture is wide rims poking out beyond the bodywork & silly stretched tires
looks like u got a good base to work with

isatoyuy

Postby isatoyuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm going full stand alone once the engine is done. Already have a place with a dyno to tune it properly so it will not blow up. Don't know what ecu to get yet. Need to do more research and decide.

The guy I bought it from is old school so he wasn't about stance or stretched tires, just like me. The wheels I got with it are 14" panasport but it was proving hard to find tires in the same size so I got some 15" wheels just to run with for a bit.

Already have the motor halfway out, just need to get the hoist and pull it. Once that happens, I'll disassemble and drop it at my friends shop for cleaning and machine work.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Thats one hell of a good start!

clean chassis, cage, suspension, plenty of engine mods, nardi steering wheel, etc.

Should be a sweet ride once you get it running again
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

isatoyuy

Postby isatoyuy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Update time. Been teally busy with school work but spring break came so I had time to work on the 86. Got the motor out and at the machine shop. The guy was cool and he does a lot of work on mk3 supras.

I installed the seat and bracket. Also put the new wheels and tires on. They fit well and I like them but my buddy that sold me the car doesn't like how the wheels are, says they need a lip. Also got all the stickers off the windshield. I felt like I shouldn't have stickers on for events and things I never attended or won. Also got door pulls from Japan to replace the old broken ones. Did the drover side already and I'll do the passenger side later.

Ill post pics when I get home. Phone is being stupid.