CloudStrife's AE101

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

CloudStrife's AE101

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:45 pm

So my Mazda Protege blew a head gasket the other day.

Pretty weird happening. I had some engine strangeness and then had coolant blowing through the lower blower/heater duct. Never had that happen before lol.

So I looked for another daily. I spent lots of time looking at stuff, and almost bought a new car. I have the money for pretty much anything but I decided to get the Corolla another shot :D

It was very hard to find an AE101 with both power windows/locks AND a sunroof. But man, was a glad to buy it. I love the sunroof 8-).

She was taken care of well for a young couple espsecially in Florida. But I always do lots of maintenance :)

I have been going to the junkyard everyday looking at possible upgrades and swaps.

I have found a couple of donor cars and slowly pulling interior bits.

Some questions I have for the masters...

1.) What are the rear disk caliper options? When I search, it is a mess. People say this works, that works, AE101 calipers are on Rockauto, Celica calipers work, Camry calipers work, but there is really no clear answer..

2.) What is the possibility of swapping the sunroof metal panel for a glass one off a similar chassis? Camry? Avalon is too big, I checked :P. I'll be taking measurements but wanted to know if anyone has done this. I love glass sun roofs.

3.) What are the best suspension options? I like BC or Tein (above street/basis) coils, but I'm not sure if I want coilovers again. I might just rebuild mine but I'm not clear on spring and rate options..

4.) Any good 4 lug 15" OEM options? I'm having a hell of a time sourcing 15" 4 lug Toyota rims. Mazda, Honda, all that is cake but not in the Field of Dreams.. So far I have only found the Yaris and I believe a Scion set.

5.) Seat options? I believe Paseo seats will work. I was at the J/Y and saw them and sat, but they didn't really scream side bolstering. I know there are LE model seats which look sportier, but are pretty hard to find. MR2? Celica? Specifically I LOVE early 90's celicas (All-trac Castrol ones), but not sure if those seat rails are similar. If they all require fabbing I guess it doesn't matter..

6.) Was there ever cruise control on these models? I find it hard to believe a 93-97 Japanese saloon did not have a Cruise option..

Cons:
-Missing washer fluid reservoir
-No cruise (was this an option??)
-Tan interior
-Crappy radio crappily installed :roll:
-Loose steering feel (could be a multitude of items)
-Poor brakes
-Terrible white rattlecan respray, complete with overspray :D
-Auto? I actually like it and shifting it is easy.. :?
-Missing rear panels, trunk garnish, and rusted in the trunk compartment.
-Rear drums (sad face)

DID I MENTION TAN :lol:

Pros:
-All USDM Power options
-White :P
-7AFE?

and...

SUNROOFFFFFF :P
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

truenorican
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: CloudStrife's AE101

Postby truenorican » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 am

Nice find, those are some reliable cars right there. For the disk brakes you may need to find a AE92 1988-1991 GTS. I know people in the past use to swap those over with some welding involved. Here is a link from Corolla Car Club, the club is pretty much based out of Florida but the forum doesn't see as much activity as it use to. The main guy is out of Lakeland. Hope this helps.

http://corollacarclub.proboards.com/thr ... z1M5o7lMwH

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Sooooooooooooo

I kept passing this dealer on the way to the junkyard looking for parts.

I eventually saw an ad for a vehicle on their lot and drove it for fun.

I loved it so much I couldn't stop thinking about it, and the dealer gave me a crazy good deal.

Sooooo.. Traded in the AE101 and..

I'm now the proud owner of a car from this century! I can't tell you how happy my family is about it lol.

Anyway, now the proud owner of a 2007 IS250 AWD.

No flame :D
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:13 pm

nice congrats

GEOVA TRD
Club4AG Expert

Postby GEOVA TRD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:48 pm

My 94 Corolla L.E