CloudStrife's AE88

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Re: CloudStrife's AE88

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:41 am

CloudStrife wrote:Anyone ever happen to install rails onto old bride seats? The "MO" rails didn't come with all the necessary bolts (I'm assuming you recieved these when you bought the seats new), and it gives some dimensions on the sheet, but only lists them as Metric 8, and length at 25mm.. Nothing about pitch. It was slim pickings at Lowe's for M8 bolts, so all that had was 1.25 pitch... No go, too big. I'll try finding 1.00s, but will have to look around.

Yeah my ae86 has a MO rail/bracket. I had to make several trips to the hardware store to get the right stuff to get my old Recaro to fit. I didn't have a problem with pitch as I did having to find spacers to put on the bolts so the seat can clear the plates.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Hmm, well something is still up, as the bolts only seat about 1/5th of the way in. Between the plate and the required lock and flat washer that's still too much.

*shoulder shrug, lol
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Sorry for the late response... wife says that there is no thread pitch mentioned in the scanned doc. the number under M8x25mm shows how many of them came in the kit.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:57 am

It's all good, thanks for the tip. I'm gonna worry about them later, once the cars moving anyway.

Got the coilovers finally installed. Kept hitting problems but finally managed to get everything happy.

The two biggest problems:
1.) Needed needle bearing highats.
2.) Needed shorter allen bolts for camber adjustment.

The Cusco ones were wayyy too long to work with the coilovers. Once the springs would move up, and weight placed on them, it would have been a disaster. I guess with the shape of the conical hat I purchased first, the extra threads didn't touch.

Anyway, here they are installed.

Next I'll be trying to figure out how to install my Dynalite/Willwood 4-pot 1-piece brakes.. Lost the instructions lol.
Last edited by CloudStrife on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:02 am

OH yeah, and the size that worked perfect for me (all the threads were taken up, without anything extra poking out), was M6, 1.0 pitch, and 16mm length I believe.

At first I used 12mm, but they were too short and only bit about half of the threads. It kept bugging me so I went back and got some bigger ones. Also, as you can see I didn't use the rounded allen type, I used the "button" type. Shouldn't be any problem.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:21 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Image

The Cusco ones were wayyy too long to work with the coilovers. Once the springs would move up, and weight placed on them, it would have been a disaster. I guess with the shape of the conical hat I purchased first, the extra threads didn't touch.

Anyway, here they are installed.

The color coordination makes me very happy :D :lol:

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Haha thanks! Great OCD minds think alike.

Told you I was a cusco slut lol.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:57 am

Which wilwood kit did you get? I have the instructions for this setup:

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... 86-corolla

If you got this one https://shop.battlegarage-rs.com/collec ... -brake-kit, Poor man mods has a series of videos of it on youtube starting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38G9QO95_aw

Let me know if you have any questions on them cause I just did this myself. One tip is to make sure all of the bleed nipples are tightened on the calipers before running brake fluid in, save some headaches.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks man!

Seems like we keep doing the same **** haha. Yeah, when I was looking up rebuilding/installing the hubs/bearings (been awhile since I took it apart), I came across the poor man mods videos. Pretty sure I have a handle on everything now.

The only thing is I never see the brake dust shield.. Can you not run it with the willwoods/big brakes?

Here is the one I got:

I had a reason for not getting the 2-piece ones but I can't remember. But the set that I got was about 700 shipped.
Last edited by CloudStrife on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm

I am not using a brake dust shield with the kit I got and I am pretty sure the kit you got doesn't use it either. I believe they cover it in the poor man mods video.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Can't seem to get the second retaining clip to work..

The one on the strut body. Happen to have any pics? Video doesn't show much. Our lines should be the same..

Do you need a "c-clip" (or circlip as I call em') on the strut side? There is only one machined space/lip, where as the hard-line end has two space-lips, for two clips (one "c" and one "U").

I just don't get what I'm missing there, and I'm just killing the paint on the bracket :| .
Last edited by CloudStrife on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Hub rebuild happenin' y'all.

OEM Toyota hubs and Koyo/Jap everything else.

truenorican
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenorican » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:45 am

Sweet! It's looking good!

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am

Nice and those lines are bit a different then the ones that come with the T3 kit. That floating middle piece on the line should have a groove in it for a C clip and that flat U clip. Since it doesn't I'd see if it would work with just the U clip to hold it in place. It might've been designed that way. I can take pictures of mine later today if you like for reference.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:10 am

Yeah.. that's what I figured too. But the standard U clip does not want to go on.

Pics would be appreciated! Interesting that the lines aren't the same..

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:37 am

Alright, sorry for the delay but here are the pictures of T3's Brake lines.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Hmm.. so on yours you just have a circlip.. Interesting lol.

More importantly, are those SS lines bare? It looks like it has no plastic/teflon sheath/covering..

Anyways, here are mine just for ****'s sakes lol:

The U clip doesn't go on all the way, the diameter of the line is too big, and only goes about half-way as seen. I guess I'll just get the dremel out and bore it out little by little until it's happy.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:56 pm

The SS brake lines from T3 are teflon coated. Maybe they sent you the wrong lines? I might have a set of spare ones if you want them ( I know I have at least one line extra). That way you can keep your U clip to stock spec lol. The two in the bottom picture work only with the stock calipers and they are a bit shorter than the ones that came with the wilwood kit. I will check later today to see if I have two spare lines for the wilwood kit.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 pm

It's all good man, I have like a thousand extra OEM ones lol.
Thanks though! We'll see how it goes...

Fucking getting ass fucked here in Florida. Obviously, as you guys know we have some crazy weather. I ended up evacuating and meeting a friend in NC. NC was goddamn beautiful.

Anyway, long story short the 86 took to the back burner as I'm still repairing fence and landscaping debris like crazy.

But I managed to completely assemble my OEM hub with rebuild kit.

Mostly this was pretty easy, I kept stalling because I was confused about the bearing "races". Apparently when you buy new OEM hubs from Toyota, they come pre-pressed with bearing races (which are also koyo). So the races that came with the Koyo bearings I purchased seperately (4) went unused.

Anyway, the poor man mods video is good, just lots of eye-rolling.

Up next is finishing the willwood brake install and finally done with the fronts.. I"m hoping I don't have to trim the bracket like the video.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:59 am

CloudStrife wrote:
Fucking getting ass fucked here in Florida. Obviously, as you guys know we have some crazy weather. I ended up evacuating and meeting a friend in NC. NC was goddamn beautiful.

Anyway, long story short the 86 took to the back burner as I'm still repairing fence and landscaping debris like crazy.

At least she is safe and sound! There for a while all I ever saw on FB was some cool car submerged under water Lol. I'd hate to see that to someones ae86 Lol.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Lol don't ever go to Japan bro.. SO many mint chassis just being destroyed by the elements. Makes you wanna don samurai armor on and load em' all on a cargo ship.

But yeah bro, it was crazy. One guys house has so much standing water around it you can swim through the house like a pool at the YMCA. But he just has a gay trailer outside, no 86 :)

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Can you post the koyo front wheel bearing part numbers please? Thanks!

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Yessir! In the meantime, I can give you a link to the seller I bought through.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-AE86-GTS ... rH&vxp=mtr

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Deuce Cam,

It should be:

Koyo LM11749R/10 (larger) x2
Koyo L45449/10 (smaller) x2

So good news bad news. Good news is I finally got the 86 to the house I live and in the garage. Work will be 100x easier.

Unfortunately, on the tow over, the passenger wheel popped off mid-tow..

Seems like superficial damage right now, but does anyone have an idea of what to look for? The bearing/hubs seem ok.. It spins fine.. The tie rod fortunately just unscrewed itself (was likely loose) and the lugs did not snap off either (probably also too loose); alsthough it did have some shearing marks :(, lugs go on fine though.. From what I can see, just small grinds on the lower control arm (on the metal arm and metal bowl under the bushing), and also the outside edge of the rotor...

I'm so dumb. Check your lugs people lol. Well could have been the tie rod but still... -_-

I vote most useless thread 2017.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Ouch! At least there isn't any body damage, right?

Lol. I second the check the lugs part. I learned that lesson the hard way with my tC. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I spend more time triple checking to make sure everything I do is tight than the actual labor now haha

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:35 am

Sorry to hear about that. I'd say the hub would've taken the bulk of the damage and if that functions correctly I wouldn't worry too much. I'd think the bearings would break before any damage would make its way to the strut or tower. Probably best to remove the hub and check the bearings and spindle though. Sucks that it happened but shouldnt be too bad.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 am

Alright, so I've been re-visting the 86 after some time.

Having some weird issues with the front coilovers though. Whenever I try to raise them (they are stupid low right now), they seem to bind HORRIBLY. I get resistance more and more with each passing turn once the top of the high-hat meets the bottom of the camber plate bearing.

At first I thought maybe anodizing created friction on the needle bearings, however the bearings themselves were never messed with, and I can't see a micrometer of surface addition making any difference when the highat/bearings mate. I also lightly lubricated them after plating, with a high-grade thin viscosity oil.

It makes no sense to me, I need some brain storming. I managed to find a spot I can see the high-hat, and they are horribly scored, as if something is digging into it. Putting aside I took the time to annodize it and now it's ****, I can't see what is being such a bitch.

The (4) camber plate bearing screws/bolts seem to be the only possible culprit, but I made sure they didn't stick out and were flush with the bottom of the bearing plate. Even if they weren't, I backed them out SIGNIFICANTLY and tried to raise them again.. Same problem.

I really hate taking the shock assemblies out, it is such a pain. Have any of you guys ran into this with customs coils??

Ian

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:34 am

That is odd, I never came across that issue. Do you have any slack in the spring when you jack up the front end? You should just be able to screw the base when the spring sits up or down to adjust the height. There is a set screw that holds it in place but it seems like your issue might be the springs length itself? Is it possible to take a picture of the strut when the binding occurs?

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:39 am

So the upper "spring perch" is rubbing against the camber plate causing some scoring? Perhaps the anodizing on the spring and the upper hat is causing them to "stick" together, so when you rotate the spring adjustment perch, the spring is rotating the upper hat against the camber plate? You got T3 stuff right? so you adjust the height via spring pre-load. I can imagine the excessive pressure from the spring can cause the friction between the camber plate and your high-hat.

This is the reason why I had to get the radial bearing upgrade after I got my coilovers. Not necessarily the scoring part, but i got spring noise from what sounds like the same problem. Excessive pressure from the spring and upper hat causing binding problems whenever it rotates.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:21 am

Already got the radial bearings (I call em' needle bearing high-hats). I'll look at em more in depth later. Actually, am I retarded? I was trying to raise the coils on chassis weight, without jacking them up... OMG I am stupid aren't I!

Soooo about something else because I'm annoyed... I received my second clutch master, since I thought the other one arrived broken..

Low and behold the second one I recieved only has one mounting stud/bolt. The clutch master I took off had two studs.. What gives? Looking at parts, it seems like they all have only one. Why? There are supposed to be two mounting nuts I know for sure from the FSM... Any ideas? Otherwise the old (factory?) and new AISIN master look identical.