Kitsunami's 86 SR5 to GTS swap

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Kitsunami's 86 SR5 to GTS swap

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 am

CloudStrife wrote:How the hell do you have so much fender gap on the fronts?

This was mine @ purchase with factory suspension:

Factory springs sag, but not that much, plus you have lowering springs???

There's no 400+ lb engine / transmission in the front weighing it down currently. Should close up once everything is in.
Last edited by Kitsunami on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 am

Lol my bad. Engine looks good man. Keep up the good work.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:31 am

More Updates on the Build:

The Head, Oil Pump, Crank Pulley, Cams and Timing Belt and a couple other things mounted up:

There's a couple of gaskets and o-rings I totally forgot, so I got em on order last night. Now the waiting game for a few more days.

Kitsunami wrote:

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:38 pm

installed and running yet?

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 am

scalpel wrote:installed and running yet?

Not yet unfortunately. I'm kinda waiting on my buddy cause his shop is much more equipped to handle installing engines. He's been busy from the holidays.

I still have a handful of things I need to do upon install, specifically:

-Wiring up an inline electrical fuel pump (I'll be using my SR5 tank)
-Speedo cable
-I'm still not very confident I have matching wiring harnesses (I believe my engine harness is Kouki while the rest are Zenki)
-I still need a catalytic converter, intake system (gonna go with the Injen), Coolant hoses, Clutch Slave and Master Cyl.

I'm closer than I've ever been but still a little ways off. Once my friend helps me install the engine, I'm not longer bound to the assistance of other people and can knock out the few remaining items on my own terms, which'll be nice.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:30 am

More engine progress. I think she's ready to be installed. Still got a couple things to do on the engine, but as it is now, I don't see why it can't be put into the car.

Added the intake manifold / throttle body / TVIS plate, Oil Pan, Coolant Plumbing / Water Pump, Disty, Engine Mounts, EGR, Rear Main Seal, Alternator bracket, couple other little things.

I've gotta order up some new injector seals before adding the fuel rail and the Oil cooler O-ring before I can put the sandwich plate on, and I'm having an issue with the EGR (see my post http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&p=132842#p132842)

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am

Looks good man. No new mounts? It's 10x easier to do it now.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 am

CloudStrife wrote:Looks good man. No new mounts? It's 10x easier to do it now.

I've thought about it, the mounts I have are in pretty good shape. I have about 2 weeks to decide before the engine goes in.

More minor updates

Added the correct front and rear coolant necks, installed all new vacuum hosing, rebuilt injectors and added the fuel rail.

*Injector 'rebuild' kit*

I also found a way to repurpose one of my old connecting rods. It adds 5 HP to my kegerator:

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:30 pm

***Update***

As stated in a previous post, I decided I didn't want to pursue a GTS tank and fuel lines, which means I had the pleasure of installing a custom setup. I went with an MSD 2925 EFI pump. I've read more than a couple guides to installing these to work with the SR5 tank, and most of em call for cutting the fuel hard lines, something I really wanted to avoid (and did).

Anyways here are some photos I snagged:

Prepping the pump with 3/8" to 1/4" reducers:

Dropped the tank out to make life a little easier:

Mounted up before re-installing the tank. The Blue painter's tape marks the send line:

All back together:

Couple things to note:

-MSD's connections are 3/8" ID, and the SR5's fuel lines are 1/4" ID, so I had to use some brass fittings to get this to work.
-I put the pump a little out of the way, won't be simple to replace if it's ever needed, but that placement seems to work best if you don't want to cut any of the existing hard lines.
-My only regret was not getting some 90 degree elbows, I had to run a little more EFI fuel line in order to avoid kinks. If I'm feeling ambitious down the road, I may alter the setup
-I tested this after I finished by hooking up the wires to a car battery and she whirred right up and spat out what fuel was still left in the tank from the previous owner (will have to drain that at some point. The 4AGE high comp pistons will need some higher quality fuel).
-I will be splicing the two wires from the pump into the GTS harness, so it'll work exactly as intended.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 am

This is so sick, dude.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 am

Eh... Hose clamps for pressurized fuel line?

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 am

Decided now would be a good a time as any to clean up the carpet in the Eight Six. Removed both pieces and threw 'em into the washer. I found some rust on the bare floor on the drivers side so I spent some time sanding that out and applied a couple layers of primer. Also the factory underlayment was completely toast, so I replaced that. The carpets came out a lot cleaner than they were, but they're still pretty tired old things. Having some floor mats should help. If nothing else, it smells a lot better... :oops:

(This was the carpet after it came out of the wash)

All back together

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:32 am

Kitsunami wrote:If nothing else, it smells a lot better... :oops:

How dare you rid of the sh*tty old car smell?!? :lol: :evil:

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am

CloudStrife wrote:Eh... Hose clamps for pressurized fuel line?

I'm betting I'll be okay. I'm basing this assumption on this post:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20979

And all the hose line I used is EFI pressure rated. Also, because I didn't cut any of the hardline, all the flared end fittings are still there.

I'm just gonna be really careful and double check under the car the first few times I drive it (whenever that happens lol)

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 am

Just keep an eye on it..

For the rust proofing, I always use POR-15. No priming or sanding needed, and when it dries it's like steel! Just make sure you wear protection for skin and inhalation.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Good things today:

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm

The engine is in, and maybe that was the easy part... Now begins the tedium of electrical work and making sure all my sensors and plugs are where they should be.

Couple things to note:

-Mishimoto Radiator and fans
-Hooked up the e-fans using a two-relay system and an AE92 coolant neck / sensor with this setup:

-I had to install new injector pigtails on the engine harness
-Installed the Ignition coil / module, and made sure it was properly grounded
-Installed grounds on the block and head.
-I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff, there's a lot under the hood now, lol

Relays for the electric fans:

Starting to look like a GTS:

I'm starting to love the view of my garage, lol

More to come.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 am

Looks good dude, you're almost there :).

Just to let you know, it's been proven that silicone hoses seep coolant through small pores over time, so you'll want to keep an eye on the level more frequent than rubber hoses.

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Looks great. Can't wait to see it running

86_dorifto
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_dorifto » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 pm

This was great to read. Keep it up and I'm excited to see it running.
KAZATO - 85 GTS Coupe

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 am

CloudStrife wrote:Looks good dude, you're almost there :).

Just to let you know, it's been proven that silicone hoses seep coolant through small pores over time, so you'll want to keep an eye on the level more frequent than rubber hoses.

86_dorifto wrote:This was great to read. Keep it up and I'm excited to see it running.

scalpel wrote:Looks great. Can't wait to see it running

Thanks for the encouragement folks! I'll have another update for you in a few weeks! Recharging the financial batteries at the moment, lol. Lotta financial obligations in your late 20's, 'n whatnot... :roll:

My list of stuff still to do / get:

Before starting:

FPR
Oil
Battery
Transmission Fluid
Intake short RAM
Drain gas tank and add 91
Coolant Overflow
Coolant
Alt and Water pump belt

Before Driving:

Clutch Slave and Master
Brake Pads
Brake line
Clutch line
Rotors

Jobs left to do:

Speedometer cable
Front Headlight harness
Fuel delivery post-filter
Cap off power steering line at IM
Find Belt for water pump / alt
Pray...

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 am

Another bout of financial obligations mixed with incredible frustration on this project forced me to take a step back before I set the whole thing on fire. Not to mention it's been ~105 degrees since July with large fires causing **** air quality in the North Valley, which doesn't make for pleasant wrenchin' weather. But work has resumed slowly...

Updates:

-Purchased and installed an Injen short RAM kit
-Bought a new FPR to replace the threaded MR2 one I had on the fuel rail. This one is the Corolla GTS slip-on style. I now have a complete fuel delivery system.
-Found a belt to fit the alternator / water pump pulleys. The T3 aluminum pulleys won't fit the Toyota OEM belt length, despite being told by T3 that it would (It's just a little too short). Toyota OEMs belt is ~825mm if I remember correctly. I found a generic 850mm that fit.
-Finished out the vacuum hoses.
-Toyota OEM coolant overflow reservoir is in the mail and should be here shortly.
-Purchased and ran a generic 60 inch steel brake line from the clutch master to clutch slave cylinder. I now have a working clutch system. I found small solace in sitting in the car for a while and pretending to shift. It's the simple things that push us onward.

Frustrations:

-Kinda as mentioned above, couldn't find a belt to fit (minor)
-Purchased another headlight harness for the proper generation (GTS Zenki), only to find out I had been sold an SR5 harness. This would mark the second headlight harness I purchased that wouldn't work. This almost caused me to sell the damn thing.
-Being told conflicting information whether a Kouki Headlight harness will work with a Zenki dash / engine harness, of which I still don't know for sure, won't know until I try to start it up.
-Not being able to find someone willing to sell me the JUST the throttle cable bracket that's bolted to the intake manifold. Looks like i need to buy another IM just for that stupid metal bracket.

What's left?

Really not much as far as starting it up is concerned. I need to buy a battery, add all the fluids, drain the old fuel from the tank and add 91. I also need to hope that the Kouki Headlight harness will work.

Actually getting it on the road is still a bit off. No doubt I'll run into something like crossed vacuum lines preventing the engine from running right at first. I also need to replace all the rotors and brake soft line and brake pads.

Recent picture for picture's sake. We all like pics here (Main thing of note is the Injen intake kit):

Last edited by Kitsunami on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 pm

So sick dude!! You're almost there!!

Side note, can you clarify a bit on the drive belt problem? Was it too short even with the alternator as short as it will go? Were you using an OEM Toyota belt or aftermarket?

I know when I replaced my belt(s) last year, I had to make several trips to the parts store because they kept giving me the wrong belt. The one they sold me was for a different model Corolla and it was barely too small. Ultimately settled for a larger one and just adjusted the alternator.

I have to replace the o-ring behind my waterpump so I've been considering buying the T3 pulleys.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Jayrdee wrote:So sick dude!! You're almost there!!

Side note, can you clarify a bit on the drive belt problem? Was it too short even with the alternator as short as it will go? Were you using an OEM Toyota belt or aftermarket?

I know when I replaced my belt(s) last year, I had to make several trips to the parts store because they kept giving me the wrong belt. The one they sold me was for a different model Corolla and it was barely too small. Ultimately settled for a larger one and just adjusted the alternator.

I have to replace the o-ring behind my waterpump so I've been considering buying the T3 pulleys.

So yeah, I bought all three pulleys from T3 (alternator, water pump, and crank). I believe the only pulley that's actually a different size compared to OEM is the water pump, and T3 even states this (18% larger according to their site).

At any rate, I bought a genuine Toyota OEM belt for mine cause anything that touched the block I wanted to be genuine Toyota.

When I attempted to put on the belt, it was just barely too short, and that was with the alternator all the way closed up on the adjustable bracket / tensioner. The belt had '825' stamped into it, so I figured it was 825mm. I bought a generic 900mm initially but that actually proved to be too long. I got an 850mm and that seemed to work, even though the tensioner was almost fully extended (I had maybe a centimeter left on the tension track).

Here's what I got:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bando-USA-5PK8 ... 7887684002

Fit right up and got the nice and tight on the tensioner. My only regret is it's not Toyota OEM.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:18 am

Kitsunami wrote:
Jayrdee wrote:So sick dude!! You're almost there!!

So yeah, I bought all three pulleys from T3 (alternator, water pump, and crank). I believe the only pulley that's actually a different size compared to OEM is the water pump, and T3 even states this (18% larger according to their site).

At any rate, I bought a genuine Toyota OEM belt for mine cause anything that touched the block I wanted to be genuine Toyota.

When I attempted to put on the belt, it was just barely too short, and that was with the alternator all the way closed up on the adjustable bracket / tensioner. The belt had '825' stamped into it, so I figured it was 825mm. I bought a generic 900mm initially but that actually proved to be too long. I got an 850mm and that seemed to work, even though the tensioner was almost fully extended (I had maybe a centimeter left on the tension track).

Here's what I got:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bando-USA-5PK8 ... 7887684002

Fit right up and got the nice and tight on the tensioner. My only regret is it's not Toyota OEM.

I know you got your situation solved already but If you want....I think I have an extra water pump pulley I'll send you free....you just pay for shipping. My email is notnilc20@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 pm

More complications. but honestly, I'm so resolved by now that nothing's stopping this train.

On Wednesday (9/5) I purchased the last items on my list needed to start up the engine for the first time. You can imagine my excitement... The first thing I do getting home from work is add oil to the engine (no sense in seizing the engine before it even steps foot on the road. Forgetting to add oil would be the most embarrassing and costly oversight). I'm adding my 3rd qt of oil and what do I spy? A steady drizzle of oil coming from the exhaust side of the block. Upon further investigation it seems to be coming from the seam between the head and the block.

You can imagine just how low my heart sunk upon seeing this (hint, I crapped it out). I immediately took to the internet and lo and behold, a common mistake when building 4AGEs is putting the head gasket on upside down.

So today I got to experience replacing a head gasket before it even failed. I felt only a brief moment of relief when I pulled the head and saw without a doubt the head gasket was installed upside down. I only got halfway through tho. I have to wait for the replacement gasket to arrive in the mail.

Parts eurrywhere:

I took a "break" whilst removing the head to do some fun things. We all need some Initial D inspiration in our lives. So on go the iconic yellow fogs:

I have a Cometic Head Gasket incoming. I'll have more updates to follow in a few days.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 am

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

My Cometic Head Gasket arrived yesterday so I got off work early to have the whole day to put 'er back together, triple-checking that the gasket was oriented the right way this time lol.

I put the whole car together, I wrapped up any last-minute jobs I had left to do. Last night marks the first time the car is 100% assembled since I bought it. It was a blissful feeling.

The Bad

The car didn't start. I wasn't surprised by this needless to say. I knew there would need to be some troubleshooting, which I'll be doing over the next couple days / weeks. I gotta go over all my wiring, make sure things are plugged in (and in the right spots).

The Ugly

When I hooked up the battery, I noticed smoke coming out of the dash. There's some sort of junction box by the steering column that arc'd to high hell. Luckily my old SR5 harness is exactly the same (at least the part that fried). So I have to trace my wiring and figure out what's causing it before hooking it back up.

It's the red wire with green stripe and blue(?) notch that arc'd

Just my luck. Electrical is my bane...

More to come...
Last edited by Kitsunami on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:30 am

Damn.....sorry to see that wiring issue. At least you're moving forward....good luck.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:43 am

You're so close!!!!!!

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:01 am

Update! Got the car to fire yesterday. It only ran for a few seconds before dying. Seems I need to adjust my timing, BUT IT RAN!

I'm also not 100% confident in where I spliced my Fuel Pump wiring, so I gotta look at some options for that. Gonna look into the COR behind the glove box and see if that's a better splice-in for it.