Your completely predictable AE86 Build

eclipse stig
Club4AG Regular

Your completely predictable AE86 Build

Postby eclipse stig » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:11 am

Hello fellow toyota enthusiasts! I am a eastern PA kid trying to build my dream car from the ground up with the help of my dad.

I have had the car for over a year and a half now, looking back some time periods might be mixed up.

I started with this pretty nice SR-5 shell, nothing super outstanding about it, nothing terrible either. It has some rust by the rear wheel wells, but that can be taken care of. It had only the stock passenger seat and drivers rail, no back seats or trunk deck. It had a blown engine, the guy I bought the car from had no idea what was wrong with it and neither did I. The crap done to the car has been removed, including cut springs, a stupidly loose aftermarket wheel and hub, and a aftermarket exhaust, which had some huge mufflers on it strangely. Heres the Pics:

Right when AAA towed it home for me, I got working on pulling the engine. (if anyone has questions regarding where vacuum hoses go or wiring, I have 100s of pictures of the disassembly process.) This is where it sat for a few months:

[url=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/notanae87/media/IMG_0307_zps3h58n0wv.jpg.html
Image[/url]

I decided to tear apart the interior until I could make it to harbor freight to pick up a hoist and I needed guidance from my dad.
We used dry ice and rubbing alcohol to break up the sound deadening on the floor. Worked like a charm.

Teardown continues:

First engine pull of my life! Sold the blown motor for $20, but made a friend, so it was worth it.

Woke up one morning and RIP garage :cry: . Both cars were safe but only by a few feet :lol: :lol: :lol: A few extra posts saved my corolla from almost certain death.

I think it looks better without an engine then with the 4AC

Bought my first upgrades, S13 LCAs and knuckles, the bushings and balljoints were shot, so they will be replaced much later on.

Car looks extra trashy in this one:

New garage!!!!!!! 5 car pole barn. even though its unfinished its still the best conditions I have ever worked in.

Danggggggg got SSR MKII 13x7 +0, 50mm flares and some levin stuff including fiberglass fenders, 1 headlight, and kouki corners and kouki grille!

Bought my dream engine after much debate between a 16v, 20v, and Beams.
Specs:
Silvertop 4AGE 20v
SQ water Kit
Honda d17 COPs

Engine came with a harness done by Craig Morgan, OBX header, buddy club exhaust, and some velocity stacks and a t50 with a T3 short shifter.
The garage I went to was dope, so I snagged a picture of the cars, people were super cool too.

Junkyard find 15x7 +0 Epsilons! Cleaned up real nice and looked baller with the faces flipped.

Paint hand stripped using household paint stripper and front and rear suspension removed.

Sold some levin stuff because I couldn't afford to finish the full conversion. Also sold my beautiful uncracked blue dash BECAUSE RACECAR :D .
Lots of new stuff!
NEW PBM custom coilovers 8 and 6k springs
T3 Camber plates (I could use some help trying to mate them to the coilovers)
NEW Sparco fighter with rails and sliders
Ford 8.8 with 4.10 LSD and seperate 3.53 open with extra short side axle.
Also got AE to S-chassis tie rod adaptors
Polyurethane LCA bushings
FC rx-7 mirrors to retrofit, one of mine was busted.
GT-S Swaybars with poly bushings
Some used sparco steering wheel

Hand stripped the engine bay as well.

Aftermarket clutch?????

finally settled in the garage.

Pulled the head off the motor to replace the headgasket, took this durring the process.

Got some SUPER TYTE JDM BUMPERS YO. Just got the rear brackets. Sanded all the paint off of the rear bumper. The front is such a b**** though. it seems I cant get through the white primer on it. I havn't found the proper grit paper I think.

I decided to start to rebuild my junkyard MR2 steering rack, I never expected to be as bad as it was though. basically the whole thing was pretty much trash. Bought as many oem replacement parts as I could get, as well as a quaife quick rack, and BGRS rack spacer kit. There is one part that I cannot locate though, and Im fearing I might have to just dish out the cash for another rack just to replace this 10$ part. Also got some new balljoints for thoes S13 LCAs and some outer tie rods.

I bought some new rota shakotans with the money I got from selling the Epsilons. 15x9 -15 from Jay Peji on here. Great guy.

This is how she sits today, while im at school. Stored on a landscaping trailer while one of our BMWs gets a trans swap.

I ended up selling the SSR MKII as well, I plan on getting some 15x10s up front and rocking the rotas in the rear, but who knows what I will buy before the car drives.

I also traded my ford 8.8, all the extras, and SR-5 rear for a stock GTS complete rear. Im happy saving the 90 pounds the ford would have added.

Metal flares will be the next thing on the list for now.
Last edited by eclipse stig on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Deuce Cam

Re: Your completely predictable AE86 Build

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Aw man those SSR's though...

What's the hangup on the top hats and coilovers?

In the first pic with the barn I thought to myself, 'hmmm I wouldn't park the car that close because a gust of wind might bring it down.' Crazy it actually happened.

Great start btw.

eclipse stig
Club4AG Regular

Postby eclipse stig » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:27 pm

The bushings on the T3 part is a smaller size, so it doesnt create a clean mate to the coilover. and the bottom part of the PBM part is a larger diameter at the top compared to the T3 so I cant combine the two at this point. I have a lathe to grind the pbm one down but I dont want to take so much off that I grind it all the way to the bushing.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Interesting. It looks like the pbm top hat has a bearing in it, yes? (The piece on the left of the T3 camber plate.) One doesn't need a bearing in the top hat AND camber plate, although I'll admit that I'm not familiar with S13 shocks. Using both may not work since the height of both bushings might be taller than the threads on the top of the shock.

Without the pbm top hat, does the t3 camber plate (and the little bushing sleeve fitting that slides inside the center bearing) fit the top of the S13 shock without sliding over the shock shaft?

What's the inner diameter of the coilover springs?

You might be better off sourcing different top hats. T3 sells them, but iirc, they only work with 2.5"/65 mm ID springs. (I'd contact them to clarify.) They're floating top hats so you'd have to make sure the shock shaft is small enough to pass through the center hole.

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... 86-corolla

Disable adblock

eclipse stig
Club4AG Regular

Postby eclipse stig » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:39 pm

OHHHHHH I think there is some confusion, I said top hats in the beginning. I meant camber plates or strut mounts), but for some reason I called them top hats. My bad, sorry for the confusion. Yes, the pbm camber plate has the same style pillow ball as the T3 plate, but they are different sizes both diameter and depth and held in different ways. The T3 pillowball doesnt make a good connection with the top part of the coilover, there is a metal piece that slides nicely into the PBM top hat but is much larger diameter wise then the T3. I shouldnt have to touch the top hats at all I think, but trying to help you help me, I drew this up real quick. I didnt mention it, but another issue is the metal piece pointed to by the red arrow. The parallell lines represent the fit between the camber plates and the metal piece. The yellow box is what the metal piece looks like without the camber plate on, and the black is how it would fit if the T3 plate was put on. I hope it helps.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:01 pm

:oops: I see now, my bad. The previous pics were showing the pbm camber block (piece that houses the heim joint) trying to be mounted to the t3 top plate (part that bolts to the strut tower). Gotcha.

Trimming the pbm camber block and/or t3 plate might be the best bet as you mentioned. It doesn't look too far off in the pic.

Do the camber adjustment fasteners on the pbm piece line up with the slots on the t3 top plate?

eclipse stig
Club4AG Regular

Postby eclipse stig » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm

The holes are close but the pbm hardware is all smaller, so i think redrilling holes on the pbm strut mounts for the T3 beefier harware, Ill see when Im back from school haha

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:19 am

The smaller hardware might not be a problem in that case. Maybe the washers from the t3 fasteners could be used if possible/needed. When tightened they won't shift. However, if the head of the fastener is narrower than the slot it probably isn't a good idea to use the smaller hardware.

corolla_lover
Club4AG Regular

Postby corolla_lover » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:25 am

HAHAHAHA i have to say i thought you had some pictures of my own shell when i bought it, it is the same color, rust in the same places, stickers in the windshield in the same place and with s13 wheels on it. Not to mention i am in southeastern PA! I really had to do a double take to make sure you didnt actually steal my car.

eclipse stig
Club4AG Regular

Postby eclipse stig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:36 am

Send me some pics or something I want to see hahaha aparently my shell had gotten passed around quite a bit before I bought it, I know like 3 of the previous owners hahaha

notnilc20
Club4AG Expert

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:54 pm

your build is coming along nicely......i too
am going through the process of restoring a long forgotten gem.

corolla_lover
Club4AG Regular

Postby corolla_lover » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:23 pm

haha i emailed you pictures, hope you still use that email account!!

Thursday7

Postby Thursday7 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:59 am

Finish this thing Dood!!

Your build is nicer than I thought.

eclipse stig
Club4AG Regular

Postby eclipse stig » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Well, change in plans. I sold the car and bought two more. Goodbye shell, I wish it a clean dismemberment.

Now for the new ones.

black GTS
caged
front end chopped off
pbm coils
battle version 4 link and panhard
traction brackets
LSD rear
adjustable LCAs
NRCA
camber caster plates
braided brake lines
battle version tension rods
bride rep seats
dori dori reps with new tires
front fenders and other damaged body pannels as well as a bunch of interior parts.

Tonkism

Postby Tonkism » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Looking forward to the rest of this build!
Where in PA are you?

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Nice one! Looks solid shell!
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D

Disable adblock

Return to “OWNERS and BUILDERS”