notnilc20's 1986 ae86 Hatch build/restoration

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Re: notnilc20's 1986 ae86 Hatch build clean-up

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:56 am

aaronlee133 wrote:Haha, I have the same hoist and stand from harbor freight - i know the feeling!

The pistons appears to have more than just carbon build-up; looks more like oil... prolly from the headgasket and perhaps oil seeping into the cylinders from the top?

The rust on the passage ways def isn't 'normal'. If you have a machine shop or engine shop in mind I would send them those pics to get their thoughts on whether they can restore or save.

Either way, with the block out now, you might as well do everything else! Just get yourself a proper AW11 manual rack + T3 bushing + MK3 intermediate shaft, new fuel filter, clean up that booster or delete it all together... perhaps some new subframe bolts? - can't tell if that's surface rust but looks to be in pretty needy shape esp if you think about the load those bolts are under. I picked up some new ones from the Toyota dealer just last year so I know they're still avail.

Other than rusty bolts and brackets; frame and firewall seem to be in good shape!

Aaron, thank you for your insight. please forgive me as i am still trying to learn the acronyms for these cars. aw11, t3, mk3 intermediate shaft........can you help me understand? i have a driveshaft with a link in middle uninstalled and a lsd diff that is rusty uninstalled. on the car there is a complete sr5 rear end but no drive shaft attached. so i need to find gts rear axles with hub and disc brakes. i already have the t50 transmission.

also i plan on eliminating the egr system with that kit you had the link for. i was planning on using power steering since i still have that rack down there but it's routed off and the power steering pump was removed from engine but i wanted to put ac back in so it may be easier to have power steering since frim what i can tell they use the same belt? thanks again

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 pm

today i disassembled the block. i cleaned it up a bit but i forgot to take a picture. what are your impressions? seems to look salvagable but again, im no expert.

a friend of mine is thinking that the previous owner must have put some radiator stop leak in the cooling system and that is what is causing the funkyness in the water passage in the block. i was able to break a lot of it up and rotated the block upside down and a lot of it fell out.

i'll break the head down tomorrow. i have a feeling i'm going to find a few bent valves. fingers crossed.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:35 pm

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:38 pm

it's dirty but it comes right off even with your fingers.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:41 pm

this one made me double take here. what caused a circular shape on this piston? or maybe it's no big deal?

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Postby aaronlee133 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Oh sorry, I was referring to other Toyota models and the shop, TechnoToyTuning (T3). They make and fabricate ALOT of parts for the 86. check them out @ technotoytuning.com.

Aw11 is the first generation MR2. T3 make a bushing for the passenger side of the rack that allows you to attached the AW11 rack to the AE86 subframe. MK3 is the 86 - 92 Supra. The intermediate shaft from that car needs to be used if you plan on going the AW11 route as the 86 intermediate shaft is too short and won't reach the AW11 u-joint. I got both the rack and shaft at the junk yard and rebuilt the rack when i got home. Easy to remove from both cars...

Yes, the AC and PS share the same belt but in all fairness its going be tough to find all the components you need to add AC and PS if you don't have most of those components already. Ppl that do have them are going to charge you an arm and a leg... Hence, I would recommend you ditch them all together, which is what I did. The compressor, pump, bracket that affixes to the engine block, etc are actually quite heavy and aside from the weight allows the car to rev easier.

As far as the rear-end goes - its gonna be pricey. I'd recommend getting a Kaaz 2-way LSD. Don't buy any of the 'used'/'almost new' TRD LSD or OEM GTS LSD because most likely they're spent and you'll need to rebuild those anyways. As far as axles go - people are usually selling for $200 a piece, so expect to fork out close to $400 AND you need to be certain you match the LSD to the axles since Zenki and Kouki axles are different sizes and hence you need to get the corresponding LSD to fit.

Sadly, I think you'll quickly find that 86 parts do not come cheap... I know I've already spent several times the price of the car itself in parts alone. Make sure to download the 4ag and body manuals from hachiroku.net as those are priceless and a total necessity.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:57 am

ok i have a oem lsd, but how can you tell if it is zenki or kouki? you can see it in the first pic of this build thread.

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Postby aaronlee133 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 am

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:51 am

is there somewhere i can buy rear axles? or will i need to find some second hand? wish t3 made some.....seems they make everything else.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:06 am

Used or buy new from Toyota if they're still available. (I spent around $600 on new ones back in 2011, but they're probably more expensive now.) Those are the only options I know of.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:12 pm

is the sr5 axle housing and diff rear cover the same as a gts model?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:11 pm

No. IIRC GTS is 10 bolts where the 3rd member/pumpkin/diff bolts to the axle housing, and sr5 is 8 bolt.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:No. IIRC GTS is 10 bolts where the 3rd member/pumpkin/diff bolts to the axle housing, and sr5 is 8 bolt.

ah yes...thanks deuce....always can count on you for solid advice. :)

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:58 pm

got the engine bay cleaned and painted while the engine is out of the car. did a lot of scrubbing with wire brush and vinegar to rid the rust as well. sorry pic is a lil blurry, i didnt notice it when i took the pic.

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Ahh, so you're the guy that picked up that steal of a deal outside Nashville! I'm the guy the previous owner said you had hoped wouldn't pick it up, at least I'm assuming that was you. As much as I wanted to, I just couldn't undertake that big of a project. Plus, even at that price, it would've wiped my current free-spending funds, and would have had to have delved into savings.

It is, however, a great pleasure to see that the car was purchased by someone who's going to restore it proper it seems! You've already made so much progress in such a short time. I'll be watching this thread closely!

Some things I took notice of while I was looking the car over: In terms of GT-S wire swap progression, I'm pretty sure I ascertained that the rear body harness was still SR-5 (Driver kick-panel fuse block to the rear of the hatch), and the front charging harness (Alternator, headlights, engine fuse box) was GT-S. Didn't get a chance to check the under-dash harness unfortunately.

If you're looking at aftermarket axles: http://weirperformance.com/axlekitscompleterear.html

Not cheap, but he does have the option of using an LSD (instead of a spool) with bigger axles meant to handle turbo levels of torque.

If you decide to go aftermarket headers, lemme know...I'll take that stock exhaust manifold / downpipe off your hands. :D
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:14 pm

yukesrevolver wrote:Ahh, so you're the guy that picked up that steal of a deal outside Nashville! I'm the guy the previous owner said you had hoped wouldn't pick it up, at least I'm assuming that was you. As much as I wanted to, I just couldn't undertake that big of a project. Plus, even at that price, it would've wiped my current free-spending funds, and would have had to have delved into savings.

It is, however, a great pleasure to see that the car was purchased by someone who's going to restore it proper it seems! You've already made so much progress in such a short time. I'll be watching this thread closely!

Some things I took notice of while I was looking the car over: In terms of GT-S wire swap progression, I'm pretty sure I ascertained that the rear body harness was still SR-5 (Driver kick-panel fuse block to the rear of the hatch), and the front charging harness (Alternator, headlights, engine fuse box) was GT-S. Didn't get a chance to check the under-dash harness unfortunately.

If you're looking at aftermarket axles: http://weirperformance.com/axlekitscompleterear.html

Not cheap, but he does have the option of using an LSD (instead of a spool) with bigger axles meant to handle turbo levels of torque.

If you decide to go aftermarket headers, lemme know...I'll take that stock exhaust manifold / downpipe off your hands. :D

haha....hey there....yes, that was me hoping it would still be available. :) anyway, yes, i plan on bringing this baby back to it's glory days. i have been working hard on it in my spare time.....how can you tell the rear body harness sr5 from gts? i am new to these cars and have a lot to learn about what is what. i appreciate any help you may offer.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 pm

well i need help in identifying a couple of brackets i removed and forgot where they go. i know i know i gotta be more organized....thanks.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:01 pm

got the block from the machine shop.....they just cleaned it up for me......i then used a wire brush to rid of the remaining rust careful not to hit any gasket surfaces...cleaned it again then i primered it with engine enamel from autozone. looking nice and spiffy....almost thought of leaving it in primer.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:07 pm

decided to go with a dark gray metallic. the guys at autozone said if i went with red it would add 5hp, :shock:
i like this color though......so fresh and so clean clean...

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Postby aaronlee133 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Looking good!

The bracket you posted up top (on the left) - that supports the brake booster vacuum hose to the firewall since the hose needs to go from the booster all the way around to the TVIS.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:15 pm

aaronlee133 wrote:Looking good!

The bracket you posted up top (on the left) - that supports the brake booster vacuum hose to the firewall since the hose needs to go from the booster all the way around to the TVIS.

thank you very much......that was driving me crazy....

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Nice job so far! That color you picked for the engine block is great. I'll probably use a similar color when I get around to rebuilding/refreshing my engine.

Keep up the good work. :)

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:45 pm

I have to agree with Grant. Engine color is great.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Grant wrote:Nice job so far! That color you picked for the engine block is great. I'll probably use a similar color when I get around to rebuilding/refreshing my engine.

Keep up the good work. :)
trigun402 wrote:I have to agree with Grant. Engine color is great.

thank guys it looks much better in person.....i will go with something a little more flashier on the valve covers but is another chapter later.

a little story for you...... so I found a rear differential cover on Craigslist and thought I would go buy it because shipping would cost a fortune. So I made the 10 hour round trip drive Memphis to Chattanooga back to Memphis. I was wore out but the one thing that kept me going was knowing that I had a nice part sitting behind me. When I got home I decided I was too tired to take the part out of the car so I went in immediately and retired. The next day I went outside and got the differential cover from the car and as I was setting it down in the garage I noticed the huge bend in the axle cover about 6 - 8 inches from the end. You should have seen my face. So I texted the guy I bought it from and he told me he never noticed. He seemed like a stand up guy so I believe him. nevertheless I left him my PayPal address if he wanted to make things right. But I bought the part as is so what do you think, should he refund me or is it my fault that I did not notice at the time of purchase? See picture for details.

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Postby s3cf » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:35 am

such a bummer....
hope things get sorted out

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:45 pm

well....it's been a few days of no updates on this build and the reason is, i have run into another hiccup on this build. i hope it's not a hiccup that will spell doom for this eight six. here goes......
the guy i bought the car from let it sit for 5 yrs. and never got it registered under his name. the title has the previous owners name on the front and on the back it has the name of buyer and signature of the guy i bought it from. he told me he would straighten it out for me. he would have to get a title in his name and then be able to sell it to me. i even told him i would pay the penaly fees and other fees. meanwhile i had already bought the car, and we were supposed to get this done after the fact. anyway, you can't trust anyone to follow through with their word these days. now he is not returning my calls. anyway, i hope this eight six doesn't end up being a huge paper weight b/c some guy is too busy to go to the revenue office to get a title re issued.

Update: we have contact. hopefully things will get done from here out.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:03 pm

got the head all nice and clean.....gonna put new valve guide seals and lap the valves. fun fun.
Last edited by notnilc20 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:09 pm

honed the cylinder walls and got the pistons back in with new rings properly gapped. if you have time, look at the before pics in this thread and now these. she's starting to sing to me. Laaaaaaaahhh!!!!! hehe.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:41 am

quick question: i was under the impression that with the 4age blue top engine swap i would need to use a gts rear end and gts drive shaft to connect to the t50 manual trans. however, i have the sr5 rear end currently on the car but no drive shaft. could i get an sr5 drive shaft to link betwix the sr5 diff and the transmission? thanks.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:35 am

Yes. The transmission case/internals are the same on the gts/sr5, and its location is fixed. An sr5 ds and rear axle will bolt up.

I think the front half of the ds is the same on both models. So you may only need the rear half technically. I'm not certain on this aspect so you may want to get confirmation from someone with more experience, but just a thought.