New Member! Red Hachi. NEED HELP!

Truenoboy843

New Member! Red Hachi. NEED HELP!

Postby Truenoboy843 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. My name is Bob, and I bought my car on November 1st and have been steadily tackling the previous owners cruel deeds since then :lol:
Im from Charleston SC, and before i bought my 86 i had a miata, it was fun but when i came across the 86 i had to have it. The car was 20v swapped when i got it, but it had also been "totaled" as it was t boned on the passenger side. I have since straightened the body, sourced a new door, and kept on going. I also bought a Battle Garage coolant reroute kit to replace the P.O.'s indoor plumbing pipe and flex hose. Ive also been tackling misc. "homeboy-age" of the wiring harness. I plan to also relocate the distributor to the front of the motor with the battle garage kit for that as well, and if anyone has the kit or an alternative solution please feel free to comment your experiences!

PLZ Help; the P.O. also welded the diff and now it sounds like its about to jump out of the car; if anyone has a complete GTS rear end, OR a complete open diff rear end ready to bolt in, please let me know as it is keeping me from the good times I've been having. Im just looking to get back on the road as quick as possible, and do not plan on rebuilding my rear end as parts are few and far between, and the rebuild would be time consuming. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, ill try and post more and better pictures as time passes, but every time i upload a picture is says the file is too big :|

Truenoboy843

Re: New Member! Red Hachi. NEED HELP!

Postby Truenoboy843 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:37 am

Is that it?

It sounds like you have a good plan. A couple ideas on the the rear end:

- Swap a complete rear would be easiest. I saw this on cl: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5408706167.html - you'd have to find out if it's a GTS and hope the condition of the axle is good though (and make a road trip)
- Source a used complete third member aka pumpkin
- Source a used differential (open, oem LSD, or aftermarket LSD)
- Buy a new aftermarket LSD unit

With the last 3 options I'd recommend pulling an axle before hand and measuring the diameter of the side gears so you know what you have. These cars are 30 years old which means the axle could have been swapped at some point. In other words, don't just go off your year/make/model for the application. Also, if you go this route mine as add new bearings into the budget since the assembly would need to be torn down and reassembled.

BTW I'm in upstate SC near Greenville.

Truenoboy843

Postby Truenoboy843 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:47 am

Yup Deuce Cam, that's me, and I really appreciate the info. Although, the guy with that GTS shell wont part it, and told me the rear end needs to be rebuilt anyway. sad face.

fuerte

Postby fuerte » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:44 pm

Small world I just posted on you photo on the charleston car meets page. I have the the Full SQ kit on my 20v. I have had a chance to drive my yet due to it not looking up to my standards.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:57 pm

I'm currently in moncks corner and I haven't seen one other 86 on the road here ever. Glad to see some other people from the area representing the 86 community!