Fuel starve

fastginger
Club4AG Regular

Fuel starve

Postby fastginger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:05 am

I play with my sr5 at the local race track on drift practice nights. Basically an open parking lot with cones making a mock course. When turning right into a drift, car works fine. When turning left I get fuel starve pretty bad. A friend of mine suggested putting an inline pump in and wiring a switch to it so I can turn it on during runs or when I'm ice racing (lots of drifting there too) to keep the fuel bowl full. My guess is the fuel pick up is on the left side. Think the pump would be enough to compensate? Also fenders are missing because I'm making fiberglass ones and they're not done yet.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Fuel starve

Postby davew7 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:31 am

A 2nd in-line pump would not help. The problem is fuel pick up. You need baffles around the fuel pump pick-up. The GTS has a baffled tank to prevent this problem. An option is to put a lowered sump in the bottom of the current tank and extend the pump mounting bracket to pick up the fuel in the sump. I would also add small hinges around the perimeter of the upper walls of the sump that would allow fuel to flow into the sump thru small holes but prevent out flow. The sump only needs to extend a couple inches below the current tank with the internal walls extending up into the tank another 3". If you go this route make sure all the gas vapors are removed before welding on the tank. Dave W

fastginger
Club4AG Regular

Postby fastginger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:31 am

davew7 wrote:A 2nd in-line pump would not help. The problem is fuel pick up. You need baffles around the fuel pump pick-up. The GTS has a baffled tank to prevent this problem. An option is to put a lowered sump in the bottom of the current tank and extend the pump mounting bracket to pick up the fuel in the sump. I would also add small hinges around the perimeter of the upper walls of the sump that would allow fuel to flow into the sump thru small holes but prevent out flow. The sump only needs to extend a couple inches below the current tank with the internal walls extending up into the tank another 3". If you go this route make sure all the gas vapors are removed before welding on the tank. Dave W

Even with a full tank of gas? It sloshes that much? If I put the baffle around the fuel pick up basically the whole length of the pick up tube, do you think that would work with out extending the pick up tube. Extending that sounds like a real pain.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:28 am

If you are willing to carry the extra Wt, then running with a full tank is about the only option.
You may be able to design baffles that fit within the access hole around the pick up area of the tank? But it would be a tight fit!
I did not want to carry the extra wt, while auto-xing, so I went with the sump. Dave W

fastginger
Club4AG Regular

Postby fastginger » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:22 am

I had a full tank of gas the last time I went out. Still starved.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:32 am

If the tank was full then you either have a restriction in the fuel system or you need a new fuel pump. Check your fuel lines, and filter for blockage. [also check the rubber connecter links and the line to the carb] Try blowing compressed air thru the fuel line. An old school test is to run the pump outlet into a container to see how fuel is pumped in 30 sec. If the tank has a rust problem you might want to add another see thru filter, so you can keep an eye on system. Dave W

fastginger
Club4AG Regular

Postby fastginger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Tank does definitely have a rust problem. But why would it be only going one direction. I'll check the fuel lines. Plus I've already been considering changing the fuel pump.