Newbie in OR

Vulcano

Newbie in OR

Postby Vulcano » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Hey all! Bringing home a non-running 85 gt-s hatch in glorious original red paint soon. It's going to be my first rwd corolla. Previously I owned an 89 gt-s. The car is a yard find. Been sitting for like 2 yrs. so it's not pretty. If it's not a rust disaster than I will be keeping it. I've always wanted to do some amateur racing and what a way to start. I am also the proud owner of a 96 Celica GT also red as a dd. One question for the community- What is a complete, non-running, stock 85 gt-s go for? I'm picking this car up for a relative song. It's not even advertised anywhere.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Newbie in OR

Postby Tora » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I've seen them go for about $2000-2500; especially hatchbacks. Running, add a thousand. You're going to love working on this car compared to your FWD Corolla. So much easier. If it IS a rust disaster, I wouldn't try to restore it unless you've got access to a good work space and the right tools for that kind of work. Swapping into a clean body would be less work.

Glorious original red? Toyota red fades HARD. If yours is in good shape, then it really is a find. My blue/blue has held up pretty alright, aside from some nasty roof oxidation. It also had time sitting on a smashed clutch before I bought it, and for two years on a blown head gasket while I was in Japan. Oregon is pretty gentle on cars, even with all the rain. Welcome to the club!

Vulcano

Postby Vulcano » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks. I kind of like the faded red that rubs off on your jeans.

runkillerrabbit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby runkillerrabbit » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 am

i learned how to fix cars because of mine! welcome! thats a gem if you can get it started 4000++ down here in los angeles
FIDM fashion design
ITT tech electrical engineer
FJC Fullerton automotive program

R2D2 build log

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 am

Where in Oregon... no I promise I don't want to buy it... just a Portlandian here and always interested in meeting new Corolla people. Local forum(Oregon/Washington mostly) is www.hachiroku.net/forums/
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!