ToeKnee's TE72 resto attempt

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

ToeKnee's TE72 resto attempt

Postby ToeKnee805 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Whatsup guys! Im sure you guys are all familiar with my old Turbo 4AGE Hatch build... if not go take a gander....
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11075

Well recently, i was having second thoughts on continuing to track the 86. It has a straight body now, has nice paint, and i realize that these cars are becoming harder and harder to come across. So i decided that I wanted to retire the 86, and find a thrashed one already i can throw my Track setup on, and return my blue car back to comfortable DD. Well as craigslist would have it... I found a whole lot of nothing, and whatever i found; it was to expensive. Low and behold i came across a 1982 Te72 2-door Sedan for cheap. I did some quick research on my phone and found out these cars have the same underbelly/chassis as our 86's, and it didnt have a drift tax!! I ended up pulling the trigger on it based on potential and cost.

The car:
1982 Toyota Corolla Base Model
2-Door Sedan
3-Speed Automatic
3-TC Carb'd engine
Goatshit brown interior
Bone stock, apart from the Celica/Supra wheels
229k mi

I ended up driving the car from Bakersfield to my house in Santa Paula (80miles of downhill grade) and the car wouldnt g past 35mph on the uphills :lol: The transmission would not shift out of 2nd, unless it wanted to, and the car wanted to overheat on me. Eventually after like 3 hours, the car made it safely to the shop, where i began to work on it. Spark Plugs, Wires, Dizzy Cap, Rotor, SeaFoam in the gas tank, Oil Change, and rewired the Starter to the Battery with a Relay. I found out my shifting problem was that the throttle cable running to the transmission wasnt being held down, so the transmission didnt know when to shift based on my Throttle. I rebolted it down, and we are good to go. Car is still a dog though :oops:

Pics:

First mod: Removed ugly ass rear bumper and License Garnish

Plans for the Future:
Im now currently looking for a Donor AE86 to make my car a GTS Clone so to speak.
GT-S Disc Rear End
T-50 5spd
4AGE Turbo Setup with a new Turbo Manifold
AE86 Coilovers
AE86 Manual Rack
Angle Mods/Front Suspension Mods
Fender Mirrors
Fender Flares
"Rocket Bunny" Spoiler
Quad Headlight Front-End
JDM Front Bumper
Old School Deep Dish Wheels
Chin Spoiler

But for now, i plan on just throwing in a spare T-50 and driving it around with a Manual Tranny untill i can come up on a donor chassis.
Last edited by ToeKnee805 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Re: ToeKnee's new TE72 Track Toy

Postby Clouds » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:07 am

This looks like it's gonna be fun :) ;)
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:07 pm

You mean lots of fun.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:03 am

trigun402 wrote:You mean lots of fun.

+1 :lol:

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Well after saving some money i was able to find a perfectly clean 85 GTS with a blown 4AGE. I will be pulling the entire GTS drivetrain and wiring to swap into the TE72.

Such a shame, that a perfectly clena zenki will be sacrificed for this, but it has to be done! If anyone knows someone looking for a non rolling shell to replace a totalled 86, please hit me up as i will be selling the shell after i take everything that I need! If i cant find someone to take the complete car, THEN i will start parting panels out and junking the remaining metal.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:42 am

Cool! :D

I seriously want to ask how much you paid for that TE72, and that donor AE86 GTS, but I won't :)

Anyway, I know your original plan was to find an AE86 to swap everything in to. So now that you have both an AE86 and a TE72, are you still planning on swapping everything into the TE72? Seems like it would be easier to build off of the AE86...

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:45 pm

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 am

I havent decided what to do, so i put the TE72 on craigslist, and if it sells to pay off some debts i have I will build the AE86, if it doesnt sell then i will tear up the 86 and build the TE haha. i gave myself a deadline, we will see in a few days.

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:19 am

Flat towing the coupe past my house to take a pic lol

The previous owner said that the engine was blown, i witnessed this guy spin a bearing in the very same 4AGE, he got it rebuilt and the engine had no compression. He gave up on the car and i offered to buy it off him. I took off the valve covers and found the exhaust cam to be installed upside down, and the distributor to be installed 180 off. 20 minutes later after everything was squared away It fired right up! I timed it, and it revved up nice and smooth, idles at a steady 1200, and didnt overheat. After checking for leaks and any flaws i decided: **** it! it runs time to pull it!

As the 4age is completely fine, and the car is complete (for the most part) i have a very big dilemma about what cars to keep. I currently track the Hatch, daily a wrx, and have the TE chillin. Well now i have a running coupe that was supposed to be a shell.

I have 2 choices: move forward with my plan and GTS swap the TE and sell the coupe shell. Or Sell/Store the TE and build off what the Coupe has.
Coilovers, T3 KNuckles, T3 Tie Rods, T3 NCRCAs, T3 Tension Rods, Looped PS rack, SS Lines, and Drilled/Slotted rotors.

Im leaning towards building the coupe.... we will see

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 am

U do have quite a dilemma, haha. Super nice Hatch bro, i don't blame you for wanting to stop beating upon it.

My 2 cents with your options, I would put the bumpers back on the TE72 and try and sell it for what you are asking; i believe its $1800. I would keep that price, i think it is fare. If you were in FL, or PR, you would have already sold the car.

I am a little bias towards the 86, but now you have a Coupe and a Hatch, and the coupe is a true GTS, so u don't have to go through all the hassle of conversion. Drift and beat the coupe up, unless you restore it at some point in ur life and sell it, or keep it.

Hey one question for you on that cam issue with the coupe. You said the cam was installed "upside down" how do you mean? The cam can be only installed one way. Did you mean that when the cam was installed it was installed 180 off, along with the Dizzy?

Great trouble shooting to reset the timing on the engine!
Last edited by Toy86 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:00 am

@Toy86: Maybe, it was installed off timing?

@ToeKnee: Am I right?

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:43 am

@toy86 if you look at the cam gears there's 2 slots where the cam can go in. They're about 180 from eachother. So when the intake cam would open the valves the exhaust cam would too. And then the dizzy was installed 180 out.

Clouds: yes technically you are correct

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:45 am

Yeah i'm with you bro, so they installed the cams into the wrong slots of the cam gears, then they had the Dizzy 180 out as well. Holy F***, who the hell touched that car!

Well, you landed a sweet deal, good luck on which one you choose to keep. lol Great job on that trouble shooting once again. Im sure tons of ppl on here would have been stumped on the timing issues with that 4AG.

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Re: ToeKnee's TE72 resto attempt

Postby ToeKnee805 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:08 am

So not much has happened since i last updated this thread. It was a pain in the dick to get it registered due to the back tags, but now its under my girlfriends name. I decided to gift her the car, while im building my two AE86s and in the mean time when im exhausted from my builds, ill give her car some TLC.

As far as work on the car, i managed to finally make all the locks the same, and put a new ignition since the old one had a screwdriver stuck through it(see busted ignition below). Got her a new chiny steering wheel. and I removed all the aftermarket and extra wires under the dash, and the cluster is now fully functional, Speedo, Gauges, and all the lights work. Even installed a small bosch tach.. Also the car is now a 4speed manual. I got the wrong transmission (early model T40) so the shifter sits way too forward, but hey its manual, and it runs perfect, so nothing a little patching cant fix..

Currently scouting out 80s QUAD headlight front ends, Tan/Brown CelicaSUpra seats, and A decent mp3 deck, since the stock one was butchered out and the previous owner put a half ass system on it and just left me nothing but speaker wire everywhere.