Club4AG Expert

Re: Longest. Buildup. Ever. High Comp 16v 7AGE

Postby jdm86gtz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Spigot bearing is a 6001 2RS bearing and should only cost a couple $

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:21 pm

I ended up finding one on rock auto with a throw-out bearing and a heater core. Just have to wait for some cash to come in before I can order them. Thanks though!

So earlier this week I realized I screwed up by painting the headers before getting the bung welded on, same with modifying the water pipe coming off the water pump. Oh well, I guess I'll just paint it again afterwards.

So I picked up a pipe cutter and commenced the cutting of the ceremonial water pipe, it was a bit sketchy but it all worked out in the end.

Here's a picture of the post cut, I thought I got it centered but it's good enough for me.

Digging through the wire bin at work and I located some 105 C rated wire, freaking score! I've been checking every day to see if any more shows up. This will be for my engine harness.

Tore all the tape and wire loom off the existing harness, seeing a lot of horribly spliced wires and what looks like patch wires, I'll be glad to get rid of most of this nonsense.

I've got everything planned out except for this damn plug. I cannot find pin outs for this plug to save my life. I know some of it is wiper motor and AC stuff but I need to figure out the others. I had a friend chime in on what he believes they are but I want to be certain. Anyone that can direct me to a link of the pin outs that would be great.

I finally got the timing belt, water pump pulley, crank pulley, timing belt tensioner, water pipe and fan installed.

I had planned on cleaning the transmission bell housing (In and out) as well as the sub-frame cross-member today but instead I started cleaning the fan. First off, I never knew this thing was white. I was almost positive it was a piss yellow color and it was so dirty it was black. I didn't take any before pictures but I was astounded at how clean it became. Secondly, this was a mistake. I spent almost 3 hours cleaning this damn fan and I finally got tired of dealing with the small sections of it. It would have been much easier with a water hose but I did not have access to one or a spigot. It's good enough for me since it's getting replaced anyways and it's going to get filty almost immediately.

Here's a shot of the water pipe and hose installed, unfortunately the clamps I had brought from work were an ass hair too small. I'll have to get some larger ones from work to tighten it up but it looks to be a good fit. I really hope it doesn't leak, I installed new bearings but this is the first time I haven't used two tubes of Permatex to seal it up, I guess we'll see what happens.

That's all I got for this weekend, I hope to get some work done this week before the weekend, I'll post up on Saturday as per usual. Have a great weekend ya'll!

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 am

c4ptiv3 wrote:Image

That's the best-looking 7AGE water pipe setup I've seen; can't wait to see it with the clamps on it! :)

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:36 pm

:) Thanks buddy!

I accidentally sliced off a good chunk of my finger last Sunday so updates may be a little slow coming until I get full functionality back, however, it is due back in the paint booth weekend after next!

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:19 am

Local Drifter helped me take it back to the paint shop to fix the mistakes that were made, looking forward to getting her back.

Also ordered all new bolts for the motor mount brackets and the mounts themselves. I'm going to try an get the mount brackets cleaned up and painted this weekend and get the wideband and water pipe welded up next weekend.

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:00 am

Finally back at it this weekend, my finger is finally usable!

Picked up the 86 from the re-spray posted earlier. That's right it took over a month for it to get "taken care of" and it now looks worse than it did before. I've lost faith in this guy's ability to fix his mistakes so I'm just going to chock it up as a loss and move forward. I'll try to post some pictures once I pull it out to drop in the engine.

I got the water pipes welded up so I would not have to run the two small lines, this should clean up the bay a bit more. I also sprayed the the side pipe this morning whilest my friend has the rear pipe to sandblast all the rust off of.

I should also have the bolts for the motor mounts on Sunday so I hope to drop in the new motor in the following weeks. I've also located a aftermarket Rad w/electric fan kit from a fellow 86'er so I've pulled the mechanical fan. The timing belt also seems a bit loose so I hope to figure out this issue soon, I'm in contact with the shop that provided the kit. Video below of how loose the belt is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLCkneYx1I

I'm trying to get this thing busted out for 8/6 day and Lone Star Bash. So there should be some good updates in the following weeks. That's all I got for now, you guys have a great weekend.

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Finger is finally all healed up and I got some things done today, I started by finishing up the waterline pictured above.

A friend of mine took the rear line and sandblasted it for me (due to the insane rust), he also blasted the metal plates for the motor mounts. I finished them up with some paint and they turned out quite nice.

I also got a very large shipment of bolts, washers and lock washers in. I only ordered a few of each but my friend hooked it up (these are for the motor mounts and brackets)!

I also have the remaining clutch bolts, transmission bolts and slave cylinder bolts soaking (not exciting, no pics).

Tomorrow morning I'll be putting all the brackets back on the block as well as the mounts. I'll take some pics and post them up once that is done. The remaining items I must accomplish before sticking the engine back in I've listed below.

Press new throw-out bearing in
Install Wideband into OEM location
Grind down distributor so it clears the head stud and nut
Clean alternator and find someone with an impact to take off the pulley and put the NST replacement on
Install pilot bearing
Install new timing belt (Unsure of estimated arrival date)
Install new heater core

Unfortunately, I have to go to Wisconsin the next two weeks to install a machine so that will screw me out of getting the car done in time for 8/6 day. After tomorrow's updates that will be all she wrote for a few weeks but I should be back on schedule with getting things accomplished at my normal pace. You guys have a great 4th!

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Got up and got some things done today, it's getting so close to motor drop in time I can almost taste it!

Didn't know that the ARP studs would keep the distributor from installing correctly, since I cannot afford another head gasket I decided to take it and grind down a bit of the shaft so she would fit.

as you can tell we took quite a bit off and now she fits perfectly.

I started lining up the side water pipe to install it and noticed there was no mounting hole for the pipe, I'm reluctant to install it like this since I'm quite sure this is why the last engine blew, I didn't have the right size bolt and left it loose. From my earlier posts you can see where it snapped and that makes me nervous. I'll have to think on this and see if there is an easy way to mount it down to the motor mounts.

Got the motor mounts installed and they look pretty damn good, I love the contrast between the silver and black.

Rear water pipe back on, looking good!

I came upon another issue when removing the timing belt to send off for the correct one. My pulleys no longer line up, I'm using the correct 4A water pump for the RWD application. I'm going to have to do some reasearch and see what's causing this.

And finally, I did not have a single bolt in my possession that matched this hole on the passenger side motor mount. If anyone has any idea of sizing and pitch thread that would be great. It's just slightly smaller than the bolts on the bottom right of the alt bracket.

I gotta go pick up a few more nuts where the mounts get bolted to the cross member. Look for more updates next weekend, stay tuned!

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Extend the heater pipe bracket with some steel and mount it to the M8 hole lower on the block.
It looks like you have a FWD water pump pulley fitted to the longer snout RWD water pump.

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm actually using the rwd pump, I have a longer snout fwd version I compared it to earlier, I believe NST mistakenly sent me a 20v crank pulley. Waiting on confirmation from NST.

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Was finally able to save enough money up to get the proper water pump from Toyota and Mike from NST was kind enough to send me the proper water pump pulley, so here are the results. It now seems to be almost lined up, it's maybe off by a few mm and maybe not enough to even cause a problem. The picture is skewed a bit making it look a bit worse than it actually is, I wouldn't say it's a full tooth off but maybe 1/2 or a bit less than that. I think I can modify a washer and make it line up perfectly.

I also apologize for the size, imgur seems to have gotten rid of the re-sizing option.

http://i.imgur.com/CyuFEvG.jpg (looks like I'll have to find a new image hosting site since Imgur now sucks ass).

As long as the belts line up okay I am now ready to put this thing in the bay and then summon the wiring guru's to help me make a custom harness for the engine and MS. Fun times ahead.

c4ptiv3
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby c4ptiv3 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Well I was going to post updates but I can't find a image hosting site that doesn't blow and this site is so retarded it won't let me link from my google drive. So unfortunately I will not be posting anymore updates at this forum, If you're really interested in keeping up with it please find me over @ 86garage, sorry guys.