AE86 4age 20v - First Build Ever

ciller

AE86 4age 20v - First Build Ever

Postby ciller » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:13 pm

I just bought an AE86 with a 4age 20v already swapped in for $3000. Pretty sure I may have overpaid but since I have no idea what I am doing you all can be the judge of that. For over 14 years I've wanted an ae86 but lack of money and availability had prevented me. I should start out that I am completely clueless as to what I am doing. I am not much of a gearhead, I don't know much about mechanics, and in general still quite lost. On top of that I don't have a huge budget in the short term. In the long term I want to get this car into amazing shape and add some extras to make it special.

Lot of firsts on this car. This is my first time driving manual, my first ae86, and my first project car. I couldn't be more excited and will hopefully post here often because I want to keep a log of my clueless trials and tribulations. I have every website bookmarked and I've been doing research like mad but I still feel miles behind.

Here is the new ae86, so excited!

You will notice some damage on the skirting. Some time next year, when I replace the doors for light weight ones, I will also replace the skirting. I am still undecided on going original OEM or order something more aggressive looking.

Here is a shot of the interior. The bottom driver side floor was severely rusted out, with a hole right through where I could see to the ground and a beam of some sort. I ground out the rust and put a fiberglass patch in with bondo. Sanding it down caused a huge mess!! Dust everywhere, you might be able to see in this picture since I haven't wiped it down yet.

None of the engine shots turned out, just some close ups of a few problems. I'll come back with more shots later.
The first here is a pic of a melted o2 sensor plug. Engine seems to be working great without it but I imagine it's important? My research indicates its for the closed loop feedback system for fuel injection or something, making the engine run more efficient. I haven't run the car enough to see how the gas milage is yet, nor do I know how to rewire it or if it will cause issues once wired in. Time will tell.

In the next set of pictures you will see some piping that runs out of the engine across the front of the engine bay under the radiator, loops back and then ends in this giant plug. I can't figure out why it would do this, if its important, what its original purpose is, or what to do with it. Anyone know?

Loop

under radiator

plug

Another issue, why is this hose running to nothing? Comes from around the cruise control area and ends in broken tube. I think it might hook up to a nozzle on the engine? No idea, but my first and probably wrong instinct is it is not important. I am probably wrong.

Yet another issue I noticed is a cable coming from out of the top of the engine, and ends in a half melted plug. I can see where it goes but it doesn't fit any more. Again, no idea what its for and haven't figure it out yet.

Another dead end loop. This one coming from approximately where the power steering pump used to be. Is this the power steering hydraulics? Is this the normal way to cap it? Is there a better and less messy looking solution?

Last is a blurry picture of the velocity stacks, made from rubber. Why is there no filter on them? How bad is it to run with no filter like this? What kind of filter will fit on them? They are too long and curve up so the fit over filter from T3 wont work. The clown nose filters from T3 seem a bit junky but maybe worth it. I am thinking of putting some nylon stockings on it as a temporary filter until I buy some sort of upgrade.

List of planned upgrades in no particular order:
    derusting, finish power steering to manual conversion, Light weight doors, cf hood, new skirting, fog lamps, check and possibly replace rear end with LSD, rims and tires, new high end braking package, check suspension and upgrade (think it might have aftermarket coilovers already but no idea if they are good or not), rebuild transmission, new paint job, general fixing
Did i miss anything important that I should add to this list?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. My ultimate goal is to make this a daily driver that you can have fun with on the weekends drifting and racing. Some creature comforts are important, like a working heater and back seats but others are not, like power steering and a stiff suspension. If you have anything to add, and ideas on where to go, any advice on anything then feel free to post and say as much as you want because it will be greatly appreciated.

Expect some updates at the end of the weekend. I will upload some pictures of the work I'll have finished and a video of the engine running!

ciller

Re: AE86 4age 20v - First Build Ever

Postby ciller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:10 am

Minor update: worked on it briefly this morning and got the coolant piping in. The metal pipes that were in were rather rusted on the surface so I derusted and painted them black, also painted all the clips orange though the install kinda scratched parts of the clips - no big deal.

Engine compartment, almost ready to run. Not sure what to do about the velocity stacks, so I put some nylon stockingings on the ends with hose clamps to act as a temporary filter until I figure out what I'm going to do with it. Was thinking straight velocity stacks from t3 as well as the ig filter kit that goes over them.

The new radiator has 2 brass nipples coming out the bottom but the old one did not. Someone told me they might be for the transmission but I have no idea what or where they would hook up to. Today I will be investigating if there are any caps/plugs for them so I can get the coolant in and finish the radiator stuff off. Soon as that is done and I make sure the coolant is flowing properly it will be on to the wiring and the underside sound proofing foam (if that is what it is). Soon I will find out how badly rusted the underside is. Hopefully it is manageable

Here is an image of the brass nipple needing capping. If anyone knows if I should actually be hooking it up to something, let me know!

Another issue I'm not sure how I will fix is the engine oil dip stick. The entire dip stick housing comes out of the engine and the bracket that is on it doesn't have a corresponding place on the engine to fasten it on to. I think I will use a metal zip tie for the mean time to avoid popping out or falling into the belt and pulleys (not sure what they are actually called).

Finally one other thing I noticed - randomly unplugged thing. No idea yet what it is for.

More updates coming!!

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:17 pm

I'd suggest getting a fresh wiring harness. From what we can see, I'd be very afraid about what we can't.
Wiregap does exceptional harnesses. http://www.wiregapinc.com/
Pursuing the ideal

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Love the look of the front bumper, doesn't even look like it's missing any JDM corner lights :)

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Id say the hoses under the radiator are for AC. that broken tube looks like some kind of brace or cable guide, nothing important. The black connector coming out of the valve cover looks like the VVT wire but Im not sure, I will have to look at mine.

The velocity stacks installed are the factory funnels that are tucked away in the factory plenum/airbox. You need to pick up a set of velocity stacks with UNI filters or get the ITG filter kit, both sold at TechnoToyTuning.com.

ciller

Postby ciller » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks for the replies! I found a wiring guide to the engine bay and the black connector is for the VVT. Here is the diagram that was easiest for me to read.
Image props to http://qrgarage.ca/ for this, not sure where they got it from

After doing a coolant flush, I believe I am still dealing with an air lock in the system and possibly a sticky throttle movement. My symptoms are the heat doesn't seem to transfer down the radiator when the engine is hot and the idle remains high (2000rpm) and stays high when I idle and often sticks slightly higher (3-4k) if I take it around the block and stop at an intersection . I will try bleeding the engine more and hope the issue goes away, if not then I will perhaps take apart the throttle body and clean it out.

Also, the blower isn't working at all. I found both an ae86 and a 4age20v manual. I hope it helps, the ae86 manual has a checklist to go through for a broken blower, so yay!

ae86 manual: http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/AE86Manual.pdf

4age 20v manual: http://www.locost7.info/mirror/4age_blacktop.php

One last thing, I noticed some transmission fluid on the bottom of the transmission, with metal plate warped at the bottom where it attaches to the engine. I will take a picture of it and see what you guys think of it. It goes in today to the mechanics to get previous work checked out on it, Ill ask the mechanic about it. The problems continue to be neverending!!

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 am

When dealing with someone else's work the easiest thing to do is start over from scratch. Take nothing for granted. Assume nothing. Anything which you have not verified for yourself is suspect. Even if the previous owner was skilled and knowledgeable, they are still human and capable of making mistakes.

This doesn't mean "troubleshoot". It means "start over". Pull the engine harness out. Check all the connectors. check all the wires. Pull the looming off if you have to. AE86 engine harnesses are really easy. If you don't know anything, it's a great place to start and learn. If you're still intimidated, get one from WireGap. Go through the FSM and all of your sensors.

You'll need to go through EVERYTHING this way. pull apart the cooling system and make sure everything is working correctly. Even check all the hardware and make sure it's tightened correctly!

If you are going to do stacks and filter kit I'd go for the one offered by Battle Garage: http://www.battlegarage.bigcartel.com/c ... n-and-more
Pursuing the ideal

ciller

Postby ciller » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:44 pm

burdickjp wrote:When dealing with someone else's work the easiest thing to do is start over from scratch. Take nothing for granted. Assume nothing. Anything which you have not verified for yourself is suspect. Even if the previous owner was skilled and knowledgeable, they are still human and capable of making mistakes.

This doesn't mean "troubleshoot". It means "start over". Pull the engine harness out. Check all the connectors. check all the wires. Pull the looming off if you have to. AE86 engine harnesses are really easy. If you don't know anything, it's a great place to start and learn. If you're still intimidated, get one from WireGap. Go through the FSM and all of your sensors.

You'll need to go through EVERYTHING this way. pull apart the cooling system and make sure everything is working correctly. Even check all the hardware and make sure it's tightened correctly!

If you are going to do stacks and filter kit I'd go for the one offered by Battle Garage: http://www.battlegarage.bigcartel.com/c ... n-and-more

Your advice is wise. Especially since I know nothing; it is a good way to start learning. I got the ae86 manual printed and hopefully it will help me fix the blower issue. Will be printing off the 4age 20v one next to help me through the thermostat and engine cooling things. My biggest problem is I don't have a garage of my own, at least nothing I can leave the car in for days/weeks while I work on it and at best a garage pad for a few days while I tinker. Normally it is parked on the street. :( As soon as I secure a garage I will do a full harness overhaul (among other things). I am looking to get one before winter comes, since winters up here are the worst.

I think the current harness looks good, just a few end bits that are melted. It should be easy to rewire new ends on (like the o2 sensor and vvt plug). One question, what is the looming? I will google but thought I would ask since its the first time I came across that term.

The site you linked has a direct linkage for a throttle cable (non-cruise control) which is something I am interested in doing in addition to the valve stacks and filter unit. Why do you suggest these stacks and filters over the T3 ones?

So much work to do!

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:54 pm

The melted connector is surely for the oil pressure switch which can be replaced by a spade connector. The VVT connector is plugged onto the VVT solenoid.
The pipework is for the power steering, the black bottle on the LH strut tower is the P/S reservoir.
The big rubber looped hose is for the brake booster(power brakes) and can be made much neater than it is, there should also be a pipe on the no.4 throttle that can be used or may already be Tee'd into.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:07 pm

ciller wrote:
I think the current harness looks good, just a few end bits that are melted. It should be easy to rewire new ends on (like the o2 sensor and vvt plug). One question, what is the looming? I will google but thought I would ask since its the first time I came across that term.

The site you linked has a direct linkage for a throttle cable (non-cruise control) which is something I am interested in doing in addition to the valve stacks and filter unit. Why do you suggest these stacks and filters over the T3 ones?

So much work to do!

Looming is the wrapping around a wiring harness. The electrical tape or cloth or whatever that keeps it all together.

I'm a big fan of SQ Engineering stacks. They've got good research behind them.

You can fit 100mm SQ Eng stacks under a Pipercross PX600 C604D filter. Here are some on my car. I've since gone to a shorter filter and longer spacers to better clear the hood and strut tower bar.
Pursuing the ideal

ciller

Postby ciller » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:01 pm

That looks pretty cool!!! The adaptor plate is welded? Also the piece that goes from the adaptor plate to the rest of the engine, is that stock? It seems modified or new. I do like it, I will consider going in that direction.

Also, I like how your coolant piping is going in around the passenger side of the car, mine goes over the exhaust manifold and I don't like that. I will see if there is room to route it more like yours.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:35 am

ciller wrote:That looks pretty cool!!! The adaptor plate is welded? Also the piece that goes from the adaptor plate to the rest of the engine, is that stock? It seems modified or new. I do like it, I will consider going in that direction.

I made them to add some length and clear the heater valve on the firewall. They're 3 pieces, have seals, and are adjustable.

When I originally put together the filter and stack set up I had an MR2. It was the largest filter and longest stacks I could fit in the MR2. With the Corolla I had room to make it adjustable and also clear the heater valve. I now have a shorter filter and stacks and longer spacers to provide the most adjustability.

There's some good info on routing the intake air temp sensor and idle air control valve to the filter plate here: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=449784

ciller wrote:Also, I like how your coolant piping is going in around the passenger side of the car, mine goes over the exhaust manifold and I don't like that. I will see if there is room to route it more like yours.

I followed SQ Eng's water routing method with the RWD water pump and a routing plate on the back of the engine. It is not pretty, but thus far I have had no trouble with it.
Last edited by burdickjp on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pursuing the ideal

ciller

Postby ciller » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks for the information, I like the set up you have. Just came back from the mechanics today to do a check up on the work they did. I managed to ask them a ton of questions with two student interns there that were really helpful. Most of the issues with the car are small, everything is mechanically sound and it just needs a rebuild (is that all). Talking with everyone and doing this build log has really done a lot to help me prepare for the build. Thanks!

Adding to the large list of build items will be new after market coil overs and a new rear end with LSD (need to research that still).

More good news, I found a garage really close to my place at $200 a month for the winter, so I have a build space now too!

There wont be any real updates for a month. I will be building up funds for the strip down and rebuild, which starts at the beginning of November! Not sure what I will do first, maybe the transmission and look at the clutch while doing that. Start big so everything seems easy in comparison.