'85 GTS build

Deuce Cam

Re: '85 GTS build

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:36 am

When I got my current car I had a consistent thud when shifting and also sometimes when accelerating from a stop. (Drove me nuts.) It turned out the rear most u joint had a wee bit of play.

I also had a vibration that started around 50 mph, and at freeway speeds it was obvious something wasn't right. WOT at the the top of 3rd gear felt like the car didn't want to accelerate due to heavy vibration. I assume it was the driveshaft being out of balance.

The ds was an aftermarket 2 piece unit, probably replaced sometime in the '90's. Luckily I had a spare oem unit from a previous ae86. I swapped them and the clunking and vibration was gone completely.

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Not really getting notable vibration, more just the thud. Its just odd to me that its even when the clutch is pressed in and shifting, you'd think not much would be clunking around from just moving the shifter without the clutch engaged.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:02 pm

The vibration was probably a different issue so I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.

What you described previously about the thud when shifting/accelerating is dead on though. However, I didn't get the thud/clunking while the clutch was depressed with the driveline disengaged. The sound in my case was only present in gear while accelerating.

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:37 am

Googling around some more and saw this vid on replacing staked in "non serviceable" type U joints. The shaft in the video is from a civic wagon, but same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kZmzA_Bso

It's obvious plenty of people have done this, rockford even has an application chart on their website for several cars that have staked u joints. Corolla I think is #430-10. I've had two shops I've called say they don't do that cause its not really a good fix. Of course they then offered a reman. unit for upwards of 4-500$ lol

So many people seem to just get a one piece made (or buy a fancy one) cause they think its a quick easy solution to the non serviceable shaft. This type of repair seems like the epitome if 86 life lol. Way cheaper than other options, widely available, and very possible DIY for a home mechanic. I didn't see anything about driveshafts in general under the tech section.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Nice find!

Since the oem ds has staked u joints, and they're selling remans, I'd assume they've done exactly what's in the video. Considering the going rate for a core, and what's involved (new u-joints/center bearing, balancing, paint, labor, etc.), the remans are probably on par price-wise for a business to sell one. They'd obviously prefer you buy theirs over diy.

Side note: I just pulled my aftermarket unit out of storage to look at it. I can see the remnants of the stakes but they've been punched out, and there are inner c clips like the replacement u joint in the video. I would have never known what to look for if you hand't posted it.

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:36 am

Quick update:

Replaced the center support bearing, and my motor mounts, and I did the Trans mount back when I did the clutch too. Definitely feels a little more crisp under acceleration.

Still getting the "thump" when shifting in the rear though. But all the pieces I replaced needed to go anyway, so no money wasted. The old center support bearing spun okay, but upon inspection the bearing was way off center, sagging from age:

The motor mounts were out of shape and had big cracks that looked like the rubber was about to totally separate:

Was all surprisingly easy and only real "special" tools I needed were a big breaker bar and a torque wrench. (and bench vise)

Next:
Rear end noise... Accel/deccel thumping. U joints didnt feel THAAAAT bad at all. And with all the mounts I replaced, finger points to the rear. Kinda had a feeling, but wanted to change the cheaper stuff in the front first. I'll check all the link bushings next, then check the wheel bearings, but pretty sure the diff needs some major adjusting or replacing. (lol what am I saying, it DEFINITELY DOES)

Leaky engine... been avoiding the oil pan for a while. I would really like to just replace all the seals/ gaskets, and do a good flush. The odo reads 218,xxx , but at the same time the engine feels like it revs healthily. I guess the right thing to do is get a compression test to get an idea of the condition of the block. If it turned out good, I'd be tempted to just do a full gasket kit and see how many more miles the bottom end can go. I mean this is an 80's toyota we're talking about here right?

Small progress, but progress none the less! I'll try to add some pics of something later. I'm the worst at remembering to take pictures when i'm wrenching. :oops:

mashi2choco

Postby mashi2choco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:36 am

Bump for a local! nice!