Toyo 1986 Corolla GT-S

mustangraptor03
Club4AG Regular

Toyo 1986 Corolla GT-S

Postby mustangraptor03 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Since the forum went down and came back up and lost the old posts, I figured it was time to add my car to the build posts. My car is a 1986 Toyota Corolla Sport GT-S with over 400,000 miles. I got the car back in the Fall of 2003 when my brother asked the owner if it was a Trueno (he had noticed it looked similar to the Trueno in GT3) and she had told him it was a Corolla Sport. My dad become interested in it more for fuel economy (he was driving a 2000 Mustang GT) and figured a four cylinder had to give great fuel mileage. Later on, I ended up driving it because my parents made me (I was an owner of a 1989 Mustang GT convertible) because it would do better than a V-8. The plus thing I saw at first was that it was a manual and I've always wanted to learn to drive a stick. As I had the car I found it strange that it was RWD, had aluminum wheels and had four wheel disc brakes, the brakes impressed me more since it was something my Mustang didn't have but needed big time. I drove it around for about a year not thinking much of it, until someone approached me at a gas station asking if I wanted to sell it. I couldn't understand why anyone would want this car and said no since it technically wasn't mine. My best friend and I headed home and we started to do research on this car to see what made it so special. Unlike most people, I learned the car was popular for drifting before I ever heard of Initial D. From that point onward, I decided that I wanted to get this car from my parents and start building it up. The challenge was fun especially as getting the parts required more trial and error as the parts stores didn't always list the correct part.
Fast forward several years later and I had get a quarter panel and hood from the junkyard (the car rolled down the hill into the back of my best friend's dad's Suburban, rebuild the motor twice (destroyed the pistons after 10,000 miles after the first rebuild), bought a nice exhaust from AE86Kai and finally bought a MSPNP2 from DIYAutoTune here in Georgia last year. I had them also convert the car from MAF to MAP and since May when I got the car back from them, it's been quite a while since I have driven the car. I'm am still getting the MSPNP2 tuned by Russ from DIYAutoTune (also Russ on here as well) to work out a couple little nagging problems. At the very least, I have been driving it on the weekends and it's been a blast. The only thing I can ask for is that the weather warms up so I can do more work on this car.

Current setup so far:

Cast Iron Factory 7-rib 4A-GE block with 0.020” (0.50 mm) overbore
Factory Connecting Rods
Fel-Pro OEM Replacement Head Gasket 1.2 mm
Wiseco Piston/Ring Set; 18 mm connecting rod wrist pin/40 mm crankshaft - K533M815
0.010” (0.25 mm) undersize main bearings and rod bearings (Clevite 77 OEM replacement)
Web Camshafts 577 Grind Number; .033” (8.382 mm) valve lift; 252 Duration (226 @ .050)
HKS valve springs – 2201-RT004
T3 adjustable cam gears
T3 short shift kit
Balanced rotating assembly (crankshaft, connecting rods, flywheel) to 8000 rpm
AE92 flywheel and clutch kit
OBX-R header 4-1
Custom mandrel bend 2.25" catback with APEXi WS2 (I think) muffler - over diff
Fel-Pro replacement exhaust gasket: 60496-1
K&N universal filter
Electric fan conversion
OEM replacement fuel injectors for bluetop – GP Sorenson
MSD SCI ignition box
MSD tach adapter 8910EIS
MSD Blaster 2 coil
NAPA/Belden spark plug wires
AEM UEGO wideband oxygen sensor
Sunpro mechanical oil pressure gauge
MSPNP2 installed by DIYAutoTune
14x7 Toyota Supra wheels

kinoo420

Re: Toyo 1986 Corolla GT-S

Postby kinoo420 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

thats nice. What part of GA are you in? I'm in acworth and just got my hands on a 85 corolla coupe

mustangraptor03
Club4AG Regular

Postby mustangraptor03 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:10 am

I'm actually up in northern GA around Cumming and Dawsonville.

DerekGreeson
Club4AG Regular

Postby DerekGreeson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:58 pm

You still have the car? I live in Dawsonville and I never seen you?