Curtis' 87 Resto Mod... BEAMS update 8/30

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Curtis' 87 Resto Mod... BEAMS update 8/30

Postby grappletech » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Whats going C4AG? I'm Curtis, currently stationed in Colorado Springs. I've been around 86's and the forum since 2010. I bought an AE86 while in Iraq, joined the forum, and read and researched until my eyes bled.

Just before this build started i deployed again to Afghanistan and I want to thank everyone who really helped me sourcing parts and giving me a heads up on certain things. Between my family and the 86 community the support and motivation meant a lot. Thanks everyone!

If you want to know the basis of the car here is my old thread: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=97019

Now I've moved on researched and figured out that I would go BEAMS instead of rebuilding the 16V ( still have a 16V for a future build, or a coffee table)
Inspiration for the beams, favorite builds and set ups:
Jeonsah: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=46485&page=1
23PSI4age: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=105671
Ae86Kai: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=82717
Rue: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=83210

Plan for the car is to daily drive auto-x about One to two events per month. will happen? as much as possible as long as everything is healthy and working.

Beams 3sge Blacktop using the stock 6speed trans.

Removed the Engine harness

got a nicely packaged box of parts, and gaskets from Sam-Q http://s-86.com/ thanks a ton!

Started dis-assembly

head was pretty clean but I took everything to the machine shop to get seals replaced and valve job done
with every car, this is about the same, nasty and dirty!!!
new bottom end bearings

KEN GUSHI! he was a beast at the pikes peak hill climb!! yes thats me holding my daughter to high five during the downhill parade

The Machine shop didnt do too great of a job on the Block... they barely even got the paint off during the hot tank. Disgruntled pics:

I trust that they did well with the actual work, but it makes me wonder when they cant clean a simple mess. so I had them get me new rings, dis-assemble and tank and deck the block as little as possible. upset, but they did perfect the second time around

7/19 I pulled the motor after about 234098753 days of pulling wires, power steering and A/C lines

sold the motor about an hour later. so it is all going towards the other Beams parts and pieces.
got the block masked/painted

cleaned(tap) the block and installed the ARP bolts.( the head was installed and i had to take the cams out to lube and install the studs)
when reinstalling the head ensure you use sealant. when i took it apart (prior to taking it to the machine shop) I noticed that the grey FIPG was used. what was weird is that the FSM says to use black. So I went off of what the FSM said.

used this on the head gasket! its just a sealant to help with head gaskets. (the above HG photo had a similar sealant)

Everything torqued down and installed

Parts that im sending to a buddy of mine to have blasted and powder coated

my Cam gears were a little rusty, so I had to clean and find new set screws and the gasket. ( dont worry about ordering the gasket separately the screw will have it in the packaged)

Not perfect, but a lot better
cleaned the water routing parts.
installed water pump, broke three bolts and ordered them from the dealer. nothing like fresh bolts
cleaned and painted my oil pan.
Will continue to post pics of any progress.

Things left to do is:
**wiring MR220V(doug) <this guy is a badass
**Supra rear(MA60) Jeonsah ( sourced while I was in Afghanistan and personally brought to my house along with an SR5 rear for brackets)
82-86 LSD being rebuilt by a local shop
** Weir performance MaxxGrip kit, with solid pinion spacer
** Driveshaft Gajin_gorokurunner (however you spell his name hahaha Tony)
** Mishimoto Radiator
**BEAMS to AE86 brackets KE Conversions. (will be modified to fi how i want it.)

Of course all of the small things will add up, but that's all of the major parts and pieces as of now. Suspension/interior/exterior comes later as I'm focused on the powertrain before anything else.
Last edited by grappletech on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 87 GT-S Resto Mod

Postby -zenki- » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Great engine choice. Blue painted block looks awesome.
FLAWLESS VICTORY

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:19 pm

my homey gettin dirty! represent the CO!

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Lol I will!!

Alright sorry about the half cut pics. How do I fix them? Do I just go to my host and edit them?
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Re: Curtis' 87 Resto Mod... BEAMS

Postby grappletech » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 pm

No problem guys.

So I've decided against ordering the Ke conversion kit, it was $500 USD and it still needs some cutting to the back of the sump (webbing). I figure I can have it customized exactly how I want for the same price. Plus there's nothing better than completely custom parts. So that will take about a month for the updates!

In the meantime I'm going to be polishing a set of baby supras, manual rack conversion, and a few other things. Stay tuned for a DIY in the near future for a project that I'll try out before sharing with you guys. Don't want too look like a Jackass and quit mid project because I'm an idiot.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Alright guys so I was sitting back thinking about how I would source a new starter (hopefully one of you rescue me!). Since the Beams alternator has many of the same insides as other USDM Toyotas, I was thinking I could buy another alternator and swap the insides. Any thoughts?

Anywho I put the rest of the front half parts on. I got everything lined up perfectly and pulled the pin. It was rather simple all of the lines initially lined up and then I spun the motor. All the dots lined up with the alignment marks on the block.
The lines on the belt won't line up afterwards correct? Or did I mess up somewhere.

Nothing is permanent right now since I plan on painting the plastic covers, what color do you think I should paint it?
Last edited by grappletech on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Blue to match the custom blue plastic valve cover.... duh!

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Jet black cover with lettering matching blue would be ill
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

terolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby terolla » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:31 pm

loving this build

Jinsoku

Postby Jinsoku » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 pm

props!

I was looking up beams 86's earlier today!!!

cant wait for more progress pics!
Since 2001

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Alright ladies and gents, this is a quick update, I've been a little low on motivation lately.
I know a lot of people have problems finding OEM rubber mounts for their cars. But I'm pretty sure I bought one of the last sets. It took a while to find them but if your like me you stick to OEM. As opposed to forking out big money on aftermarket parts.

Found these on Amazon:

New
Busted

It was frustrating at first but I squeezed the metal and the rubber mount in a vice, a few taps with a hammer and bam I got it in!!!!
Last edited by grappletech on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Still have a ways to go, I have been saving up so that I can get the wiring done, and after that i have to cut the bottom sump. Pics once I get it all sorted out. in the meantime here is the latest pic of the motor.

Powder coating done by my buddy Vic (Jeonsah)

Last edited by grappletech on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

MtLemmon86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby MtLemmon86 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Peanut butter and jealous of your rolla...awesome build

ryanroberson695
Club4AG Regular

Postby ryanroberson695 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Where did you source all your oem parts for that engine ?

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:56 am

Thanks!

http://s-86.com/
He has a Facebook page too, so I would hop on the site and grab that contact info. He may have parts in the US that is cheaper to ship.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:57 am

alright guys, quick update! I received a bunch of parts that I recently ordered.

The Xcessive Manufacturing Beams to AE86 engine, trans mounts are here! plus a few other misc parts. like Fuelab AFPR, MK3 turbo fuel pump, tie rod ends. ARP flywheel bolts. If you want close ups of anything just let me know! I will be putting these parts on very soon

The spread!

cant forget this Thanks EP Importers!
Last edited by grappletech on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Quick update!!!

86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Alright gents, I know its been a while however, I have been busy with working and getting a house and lots of other nonsense. It took me forever to get the trans into the car, Its a real PITA to get that heavy thing in there.

Recently I got the car in the garage and working on small stuff here and there,

-Painted the gas tank
-Supra fuel pump
-Bought a bunch of fuel fittings
-Installed the clutch

Still have to throw the rest of the accessories and figure out some firewall clearance issues. (oil drain on the back of head)...
Still ahve to get the driveshaft, random hoses, and mount the radiator.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Getting closer, man. :)
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Orange Rocket
Club4AG Expert

Postby Orange Rocket » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:42 pm

HI How did Xcessive Manufacturing engine brackets and engine mount works?
Do you still need to use OEM style engine mount with Xcessive Manufacturing engine mount bracket?
Please update photo or text me at 310254 six8zerothree

Thanks

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:46 am

Alright gents, I had the exedy kit ordered from techniclutch and it was pure garbage... pressure plate seemed fine, but the flywheel was horrendous. There are definitely mixed reviews on this clutch however, it's mainly bad.

I ordered an orc 309 clutch kit for a little more than the previous kit and I know here have been nothing but great reviews on it. Plus the Yen is super affordable right now.

The fuel pump that I bought was either DOA or I was sent the wrong one from rock auto. I couldn't get it anywhere above 55PSI (or cording to my fpr gauge). So I bought a walbro 255, and will probably upgrade the lines sooner than later.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:20 pm

Long time no update. I've been busy with work, and moved to NC. Nevertheless i've been making some progress on the car, Enjoy:

Had these headers custom made. I think he did a great job getting around the steering column.
if you look closely you can see the mounting solution. Nutserts are pretty cool. so it should provide easy removal of the motor

I got the Celica axles rewelded with the Xcessive mounts for the ae86, painted. Gonna clean up the hubs and reassemble the rear end. Probably going to get all new brakes and store my GTS rear on a shelf.

Ordered this distro box from a BMW to relocate the battery and neaten the other things.

Going to start the car later this week once my MRP MAF air straightener and other intake pieces come in. Still waiting on a better solution for the shifter relocation, there are a few off the shelf companies that are trying to work on this, but i think ill find a solution that ma be a bit cheaper than manufactured parts.
Last edited by grappletech on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Re: Curtis' 87 Resto Mod... BEAMS update 8/30

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:56 am

Looks great.....nothing like that first start after all that work. Good luck!

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:13 pm

So after a few days of messing around with it, I was able to crank it, but my cam was off by a tooth. It essentially blew a flame out of the intake! So I was able reset it and bang! it fired up with no problems. Of course it was insanely loud due to it having open headers. Also, it sprung a leak due to the bottom oil sump having a stripped bolt in it. Also, it did not stay running since I had previously set the fuel pressure to around 50 ish PSI on the safe side. Either way I did not want to keep it running long due to all of that.

Have the lower sump on order. I'm going to yank the motor clean up some of my wiring, redo the fuel lines, flush all the old crappy lines out. relocate the crappy battery I have, find a shifter kit. Of course Ill be putting the supra rear end in! yippee!
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:27 am

Hey guys, I'm deployed now.I fully intend on moving my photos over so you all can see the updates that I don't have
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap