***Megan Foxxx's Build Log***

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

***Megan Foxxx's Build Log***

Postby jrarinas » Sat May 24, 2014 11:25 am

Finally decided to start a build log for my last (hopefully) AE86 Build. My goal is to keep a daily-capable ride while maintaining good attention to detail and good quality parts. This will be my log so I will attempt to update as frequent as possible. Just some back ground, been an 86 fan since the early 2000. Bought my first 86 from one of the OG's but have since forgotten who or what he looks like. I was a noob back then but have done some fair amount of research so to not be "lost in the sauce" when it came down to maintenance. I was got stationed in Maryland for 6 years and met some great guys (brothers now) who called themselves NTO (Nasty Toyz Organization). They created some of the most powerful cars I've ever had the privilege of riding in. They helped me build my first 86 red hatch. Long story, running ITB's, motor blew up and sold the car in parts. With one of the brothers getting the good "Cali" rust free shell to start his canvas.

Fast forward a bit. Got deployed to Afghanistan and starting getting the itch to get back into another 86 when I got back but wanted to build something "ugh" inspiring. So started some deep searching and found a supposed "mint" 87 Kouki from Canada! Obtained the whole Black Limited Badging including the cluster, clock and climate control minus the back center garnish. Bought "THE" Dori Dori wheels from Tony and TRD suspension around minus the T3 full coilover setup etc. etc. don't want to think about that build anymore! It was a great ride but didn't want to daily it case it gets damaged. Then bang! some out-of-towner plowed into me entering the freeway! damaged the pass. door and fender....The car still being a grey market vehicle and still unresolved, I didn't want to deal with it any further so off to TX it went. Haven't heard back from the guy or seen the car since so not sure what has become of it.

Sold my CBR600RR Graffiti AND the "Black Limited" creation in hopes of leaving the modify-every-ride-that-you-own scene but somehow landed a 72 Carina which I technically still have.....Made a deal with the Old Lady and somehow landed Ronny's SR5-GTS coupe which I named Megan Foxxx! This is where the story and life lessons unfold. Her first 48 hours was crucial and I was able to see what she was all about inside and out. With the car coming from Ronny (the Grand Master Basket Weaver) I knew she would be solid from the get go! Sh*t! I still have to get the smog done!

The CBR and the Kouki Trueno:

And so the build begins. Enjoy and comment as you please. All I ask is you to be professional and respectful. Passion is what keeps these cars alive! Long live the AE86!

First Pics I got from Ronny:

Let the journey begin:
Took the Amtrak up to Irvine where Ronny picked my up and chatted for about 12 months! Always good to talk to another "Lifer"
I heard this rumbling sound....nothing like a V-8 but more like a 4AGE!
After the long wait, there she stood in front of me; don't mind the Basket Weaver in the car.
Got to the house to do some final addition and subtraction of parts and funds from both directions.
Final paperwork completed and the ceremonial "You're screwed for life" key turn-over.
First gas stop. 30ish bucks for gas. Amazing! Getting used to the controls, lights, switches and seat. Onto the long trip home with no radio station in sight #becausenoantenna.
Made it home in less than an hour and a half. Parked in front and calling it a night. I had a hard time sleeping thinking of what to do in the morning!
Saturday morning and have the day off the entire weekend! Here we go!
First thing, a full wash and detail of interior and exterior: Took the entire day! By the time I was done, I couldn't feel my fingers and I had heat exhaustion from being under the sun all day! Biggest mission accomplished!
First Wash:
All done!
On goes the new wheels:
AME/Fatlace F-Zero 2 15x8.5 -6 wrapped in Advan AD08R 205/50's sticky icky!
Tanabe Swaybars are the first parts to go on aside from the TRD steering wheel and my trusty Mooneyes knob.
The TRD bushings were shredded! Lesson learned, remove everything to change out the swaybars. It will be a lot easier!
And to all a good night:
Sunday was spent getting the Viper alarm put in and my radio. Relaxing and peace of mind.

Stay tuned! More to come. Just picked up some parts this past weekend! Will also show some step by steps to help out some.

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: ***Megan Foxxx's Build Log***

Postby jrarinas » Sat May 24, 2014 11:27 am

Had some time to tidy up the front fenders and roll a bit more, cut the tabs from the bumper, and secure the new Zenki lip from Ryan. Some tools of the tread are below and I've taken pictures of the items needed. I basically followed maxpham's thread from Club4AG and added some tricks that I've learned t/o the years.

Here's Maxpham's link:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8165

The front tow hook will remain with the car forever! It's been there since I first saw the car so it'll always be remembered!

Placed the car on a ramp for a better angle and work level.
Some tools of the trade.
I trimmed off the plastic tab that was rubbing on the 205's and my secret was to drill a small hole at the angled corner of the inner tab right where the fenders start to flare and added a zip tie. You could also use an M5 bolt and nut here if preferred. I'd rather have a breakaway though.
Parts needed. I got everything from Home Depot.
Finished product. I drilled a 1/4" hole at the far back portion of the lip by the wheels to accommodate the top most screw hole. I used an M5 bolt to secure in place. The lip doesn't fit all the way through but it does the job and no zip ties noted.
I haven't taken a picture of the suspension setup yet: Here it is for now. Mods to come soon.

Mr.Fujiwara
Club4AG Expert

Postby Mr.Fujiwara » Sun May 25, 2014 8:01 am

Beautiful coupe !!
Awesome name !! Lol keep us updated
Sorry to hear about your previous car I
Remember when you were selling the
Work wheels off of it!
Anyways keep up the good work !!!
Can't wait to see more
Old username: Charskiezz

20V BT: Traded For F20c Swap

TORPARTS
Club4AG Expert

Postby TORPARTS » Sun May 25, 2014 11:13 am

good luck Pare!

good guy in my book! LOL!
http://www.torparts.com
WORLD LEADER IN REPRODUCTION, OEM AND JDM PARTS.
US Veteran owned.....and medical recipient and food stamps...I love Obama!

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrarinas » Sun May 25, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks guys! Glad to be back! Gonna be doing a mild/conservative build on this one but use good parts from personal stash and hoarded parts from OG's that's willing to let some go for the sake of a good build! Please let me know what you guys got! LOL.

From this morning and happy with the recent lip install.

Also did some maintenance items like stripping and repainting the wipers, new horn, turn corner lamp bulbs and reverse lights were all out. I need to get the JDM bumper lights to work right. Soon enough.

John H.
Club4AG Expert

Postby John H. » Thu May 29, 2014 2:44 pm

This has to be the best build on Club4AG IMO! Great work so far, keep us updated!
SUBSCRIBED!

-John H.

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrarinas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:19 am

Finally had some time off and wanted to get the suspension, and brakes done. I started by taking apart the old struts. The setup was nice and comfortable for daily but I've been itching to throw the Kei Office on so sacrifices had to be made.
Jack up both sides and place on jack stands (easier to be able to do one after another this way.
I was able to take both strut setup and weigh them I lost more than two pounds even with the BV NRCA on the new setup and FIA Cusco camber plates
I also decided to replace my calipers. The fronts I got from Advanced auto for 30 bucks and a $14 core charge. Not bad and didn't have to wait to get mine done! Plus it comes with all new clips and bolt
I didn't have to rebuild the hub since they were still in great condition from the color on the grease. I did however get new bolt, crown and pin kit from Rockauto. Just check out the search engine. Great online shop for guys like us.
One word of advice, head over to Advanced Auto or similar the rents out tools and grab yourself a small puller similar to this just in case your outer tie rods are seized. Makes things a lot easier! I had to wait til the following day to complete the fronts because of this one little tool!
All done with the fronts!
The rears were also Kei Office (Bestex 6.5) with an 8 way adjustable. I still have to test and tune these out.
I love this view from the rear. I like to keep the exterior clean so I'm trying to keep only "daily" stickers from the outside.
Jack up the back from the rearend and place on jack stands once again but keep the jack on the diff. Once you've removed the 14mm bolt that holds the rear shock to the rearend, pop the shocks out of the mount as pictured. You can now slowly release the jack and once at the bottom, you should be able to remove the springs.
Here's the rear springs side by side. Going from progressive and comfortable to....not so much!
Now for the exhaust....As much as I love the quietness of the HKS HiPower, I couldn't resist to see and hear what the 5Zigen SuperLap is all about! As I pulled out the old setup, I couldn't help but have my boy check it out!
I was in such a rush that I didn't get a chance to do a side by side between the HKS and the 5Zigen. I can tell you that the latter has no resonator compared to the HKS and not as much fiberglass filling on the canister itself! The exhaust is tame under 3500 rpms but releases hell anywhere above it! Sound clip to come.
I also did the rear caliper brakes and just waiting on rear Hawk pads to arrive to complete the brake setup. The car was setup enough to do a quick brake bleed to get a car wash but need a better/longer bleed time to be firm again. It was around 530 at night and my car was the last wash for the day! took about 10 minutes with 6 workers! Got a chance to take my boys for a walk and my "rat hunter" wanted some pigeon for dinner!
All done for today and in the garage she goes. Picked up an Arai Corsair RX7 for $95 in SD. I grabbed it for the Novice/int. course next weekend so I just needed something with a Snell2000. It was all scuffed up so the guy didn't really care for it and didn't really care to have it any longer so I came by, picked it up and rubbing compound/waxed it and looked new! Score, me!

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrarinas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm

This week, I'm gonna keep it slow and simple. I'm just going to rebuild an old version 1 Left Hand drive C's short shifter. I bout the delrin bushing kit from Techno Toy Tuning for $25 bucks and hope they were worth it!

I also found some old Hella H4 conversions with the city lights on them from a while back. Still gonna contemplate on whether or not im gonna slap these on or sell them.

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrarinas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:00 am

AE86 5Zigen SuperLap:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/SZi4mnnpLJQ[/youtube]

ryceboy_124
Club4AG Expert

Postby ryceboy_124 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Awesome build log brotha!!!

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrarinas » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:06 am

Thanks Ry! Yeah bro trying to make sure this one is documented! Consulted the OG Oliver for tips on this weekends first outting at the Balcony so got the tranny and diff fluids done and also flushed the clutch and slave cylinders. Also noticed a leak on the brake line coming from the pass front! Glad i saw it now than at the track! Ive added a page from what Oliver sent me for a go by.

Gabriel Tyler
Club4AG Regular

Postby Gabriel Tyler » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:34 am

Your shifter will actually need some repair in order to work perfectly. The slots in your main shifter ball have been destroyed, because the unit was run so long without any bushings in it.

You will need to get a replacement shift lever, or weld in the missing area in the slots and grind it smooth.

jrarinas
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrarinas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Gabriel Tyler wrote:Your shifter will actually need some repair in order to work perfectly. The slots in your main shifter ball have been destroyed, because the unit was run so long without any bushings in it.

You will need to get a replacement shift lever, or weld in the missing area in the slots and grind it smooth.

Gabe, is there any way I could send out the whole shifter assemby to T3 for repair? The impul shifter is also larger than the average Toyota pitch. Is there a way to make a longer lever and return it to the regular pitch?

Unfortunately I'm currently deployed but I can try and check my email as often as I can. thank you in advance Gabe and hope to hear back from you.

Rudy.

ronny
Club4AG Expert

Postby ronny » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:00 pm

loving it!
Rays - Project Mu - TE37 club
BLUE MOON / CUSCO
AE86fightclub.com
PM me for Contact