My recap and ongoing final stretch of building my Hatch

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Re: My recap and ongoing final stretch of building my Hatch

Postby shagymc » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Not very many updates due to saving for paint but I did get some IPF headlights mounted and 10K HIDs installed. I ordered the IPF H4 conversion housings from Cabe Toyota as well as some Innovited HIDs from the ebay.

After looking at the chiltons and figuring out how to wire everything up, I set the relays out and started the process of wiring it all up.

Once it was all wired up, I set to connecting it all in the car. I quickly hit a snag in that I had no ground to my high beam trigger when the switch was pressed forward. After a little bit of troubleshooting I found that the steering column assembly switch was not making contact when it was supposed to.
I bent the top contact out of the way and added a solder bead to the switch contact.

Once that was taken care of, I added some sealing gum to make sure I had a solid seal on the headlights with the HID.

Next I just added the wires to the existing factory harness so I could go back to stock if needed and fired them up. Great looking in the garage but still need to take them for a test drive here at night.

Im looking into replacing the front LCA, TC rod and tie rod ends with T3 stuff but not sure if I'm ready to get that all done before getting the car painted. Hopefully, I can afford to do both in the near future.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:38 pm

So I've been busy getting things ready to go for paint. I didn't take many pictures of the tear down but It all went well. I used a lot of painters tape and a sharpie to label all my connectors and basically all I left in the car was the two seats and the carpet. While I do love doing work myself, the decision to get the car painted at a legit shop was easy for me since I absolutely hate body work and the bay requires a lot of welding to get the smooth look I want as well as to fill all the useless holes that are in there now. I'm going for a car peace bay look with the exception of my strut bar. Here's what the inside dash area looked like:

I was also able to get up north and grab my wheels that have been in my friends basement for the last 3 years. These are Hoshino G5s. The fronts are 15x9 with -20 offset and the rear is 15x9 with -30 offset. Seeing these things again was pretty stellar after only glimpsing them in 2013 when I bought them and had them shipped up.

The tires do have a bit of a stretch over them but nothing crazy. I also had a set of Retro Spec side skirts too (no pictures) that were waiting for me. Originally he was going to paint the car but things happened and money got tight so I decided to get it done locally. When I took the wheels over to the shop (The Showzone in Ladson, SC), they took the time to throw a pair on the car to see what we were working with and if any mods needed to happen.
First thing we noticed was to clear the Rotora big brake caliper, I needed a spacer. Luckily I already had 3mm spacers and it gave plenty of room for the wheel to spin with no clearance issues. We also will need to add a slight amount of negative camber and roll the fenders to get it to fit clean. The center cap wouldn't fit over the stock cover too so we may need to make our own to get it to look right. In the rear, It was obvious we needed to bring the car down about a half an inch as well as do a slight pull and roll. Overall, we were very happy with how they fit and looked on the car. Here's some shots:

I also ordered some front suspension parts from T3 for the front: Adjustable lower control arms, tension control rods, and new tie rod ends. I know this process will be slow due to all the tiny details the shop is working out for me I just am really really impatient... it's also weird not having her in the garage. Thanks for looking!
Last edited by shagymc on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Well went to Showzone motorsports here in Charleston, SC and they're making quick work of the engine bay. They built a service door in the firewall for the distributor, they've filled almost every hole I cut in the bay, and stitch welded the seams. They also removed the battery tray. It's pretty amazing when you find a shop that puts as much care and love into your project as you would. Here's some pictures:

One of my favorite things that they did was with the screws I had put through the firewall for the proportioning valve. Before I had them going through the valve then through the firewall with a nut in the engine bay. You can see them on the firewall in this picture:

They flipped the screws to the inside and then welded them to the firewall and ground them smooth, essentially making studs for the inside where the valve is, cleaning the bay up, and making it easy to remove the prop valve later if needed. Now it's just two 11mm nuts inside.

I told them that I want a bay like the Car Peace cars and they have delivered so far on the promise to give me that. Stay tuned for progress!

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:40 am

Awesome Build up man!

Great selection of parts too!

Love it!
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks man.

Small update to the bay work: Stopped by the shop just to chill and they had the bay filled and roughly sanded so you can get an idea of what it's going to be. I think in the coming weeks we'll see a lot more since most of the labor work is done.

I also have been stacking parts. I got some new TCRs from T3 through their yardsale, some carbon trim pieces, and I spent an ungodly amount of money on this titanium hood prop rod. It's amazing.

We decided on House of Kolor's galaxy grey. I think that it will accentuate the wheels nicely. I still need to order a few more suspension parts for the front but I'll need to build up funds in the meantime to get there.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Been a while Club4AG. Just throwing some little updates out as the car is still sitting for paint and progress is slow while I have been transferring out of the military. The bay progress speaks for it self. It is slow and tedious but I am hoping to really make some strong headway by next week.

The firewall is going to need some love as I ran into a good deal on a BEAMS motor and have decided to step up to that platform now. So if anyone is looking for a turn key 20V BT swap with a Haltech ECU, hit me up.
I sent a few things off to get powdercoated. The wipers turned out incredible. I wish I would have taken a picture of how rusted and gross they looked before hand. on top of the wipers, the windshield cowl and Cusco rear strut were also coated.

Not pictured, I also coated the T3 front strut bar, the headlight 'rings' that hold the actual headlight into the assembly, and the JSP radiator brackets. I have Some Sam-Q and JSP pieces I just got in for the BEAMS swap that need to make their way over to the powdercoater as well.
Finally after staring at the ugly wiring loom and relay placement of the original tuck, I decided to re-wrap and re mount my relays and wiring for a cleaner look. This isn't the finished product but I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow. I also added Deutsch connectors to the Headlight High beam and HID low beam so that everything can be serviced and unplugged. The loom is from Vibrant and is incredibly durable and easy to work with.

I'll take finished product pictures tomorrow. Hopefully we can get this thing painted by the summer time.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:48 am

I just read this entire thread from front to back. Killer stuff dude.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Jayrdee wrote:I just read this entire thread from front to back. Killer stuff dude.

Appreciate the love man. So I took some finished shots of the wiring well 99% complete. The relays for the IGN and FAN on the drivers side still need a fused 12 volts but the breaker is right there so I'll probably have it all done by friday. I love the Vibrant loom. The plugs turned out well too, making everything removable and clean for future servicing if necessary.

Also cleaned up the HID Ballast location and wiring:

Then I set out to strip everything I could off the BEAMS, either for powdercoat or to dump all together. I mounted some of the SQ Engineering stuff as well and once all said and done I have these parts for powdercoat: SQ waterline kit, SQ Alternator bracket, SQ ITB adapter, JSP thermostat housing, The dip stick holder, upper coolant output piece, and the fuel rail.

I am in the process of ordering some wet blasted BT throttles from www.SMR2U.com. Great prices, shipping isn't bad at all, and the guy has proven performance built 4ages he drag races. If you've never heard of them, check them out. Once, those show up I'll be taking them to get powder coated as well. Friday I'll drop these bits off to Marks powder coating and then get to sanding on the bay. My 20v sold so I have some big ticket items to purchase next in the form of ECU and wiring. I will probably do the wiring myself though I need to source the plugs for al the sensors and what not. Luckily tweaked performance is right near where I live so I feel pretty confident I can get those. Part of me wants to do an extensive BEAMS breakdown similar to what Morgan did with the 20V but I feel like that task is very daunting. I will definately do some form of technical write up but it will not be as extensive as Morgan had it. Maybe others who have done the swap can also add their two sense. Either way, I'm finding the support for this motor technically speaking is certainly lacking compared to the 4AGE.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 am

So is the car still at the shop? Seems strange that you'd be doing such a wiring job at their location..
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Yep, car's still at the shop for paint. The owner and I became really good friends and I pretty much can go there and use their stuff to work on the car. Unfortunately I moved 2 hours away a couple months ago so it's a little harder getting down there. I guess I should update a bit. I've been continuing to get things together for the BEAMS swap. New flywheel, Haltech Elite 1500, and some water blasted 20V throttles from Speed Master Racing. Image

Also, picked up a bash bar from Swangbiz. It's pretty pimp.

BEAMS motor parts are back from powdercoat as well.

And finally a bay picture. The progress is slow but the shop is busy and I'm still building funds up so this is where we're at now. Last time I was there, they had most of the bay finished and sealed. The firewall still needs some work though. Hopefully I'll see some more updates soon.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 am

Oh my, oh my. Still a great build!!!
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks Grappletech! I know this build has slowed to a frustrating pace but things keep happening with my life to road block any chance of progress. On August 27th, I was laid off from my job and that was pretty detrimental to my financial situation being that I had just closed on my house a month earlier. After doing hardcore job hunting, I am happy to report I took a job in Oregon with Amazon. I know there are a bunch of PNW dudes with 86s so I'll be looking to chill and wire **** for beer. I am on the eastern side of the state so it takes about 4 hours to get to Seattle or Portland.
As far as updates on the car, it will remain in SC at the shop until they are finished with it. I have some major plans for the audio system in it as far as speaker locations, door panel builds, and sub box fabrication. I don't want to add a lot of weight but with the BEAMS going in, I'm a lot less worried about it. I'll be running one Alpine 5 channel in a 3 channel setup for the tweets and mids up front and then building a sub box behind the glovebox. Probably a shallow mount 10" JL. I also plan on doing a complete re wire for the third time of all my accessories and harnesses. I will be ditching the gauges in the glove box and the cluster for a Haltech IQ3 dash that will work directly with the Elite ECU I'm running. I also plan on revamping the switch panel and fabricating a dash mount for the IQ3. I'd like it to look as sleek as possible. Once I get the car, you can bet you'll have updates regularly of the build and wiring, just got finish getting over this little life hiccup with the family.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm just pumped you got to keep your 86 while in between jobs! Lol.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more!
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:39 am

Hey shagy, what's up man. I'm confused, did you trailer the 86 to OR?

I'm in FL now, but I was in Portland (Beaver ton) for a year. I miss it everyday. Employment opportunities are much better in the white collar sector (Intel, Nike, North Face).

I'll be moving back to WA/OR this year, there is a ton of stuff out there and WA has lots of fun meets, especially Seattle! You should also look up the NorthWestHillclimbAssociation. You can also look up the course map online for some fun runs once you get moving.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am

Oh ****, just noticed you left it in SC. Damn that sucks. Are you gonna drive it back or trailer it once it's done?