ae86 sr5 coupe revival

candamo
Club4AG Regular

Re: ae86 sr5 coupe revival

Postby candamo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:31 am

Having some clearance issues with the throttle/hood.

candamo
Club4AG Regular

Postby candamo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Fixed the hood clearance with a 45 degree adapter.

Also fabbed the new header and exhaust.

Here we have the old 4AGE 2.25" exhaust vs the new 3".

Things to do:
- custom driveshaft
- weir custom 28mm axles.
- wire ecu
- destroy tires.

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:32 am

Great build hermano! Congratz on your championship, hopefully u can repeat with the new power plant. The extra horses should be able to balance out you car again with the cage in it. Keep posting your progress, and good luck!

candamo
Club4AG Regular

Postby candamo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:49 pm

And then it was time for the engine. Hope to get some love around here even tho its not a 4AGE engine.
I'm guessing from reading on various forums that with my setup i can get around 170-190whp, thats gonna be a mean hachi i believe.
On stock cams at the moment, those are 264s with 9mm lift. Not bad for a stock cam... sadly the cam profile is quite steep and can make the valves float at 7500rpm+. Later this year I will get N1 cams and another 10-15whp more.
Here are some pics of the engine build.

Using a custom hall sensor that replaces the distributor, which goes in the back and its about 3 inches longer than the BT distrib.
Also had to relocate the VVL (nissans vtac) solenoids which also go in the back of the engine and are taller than the valve cover and had to be moved.

Now, to its new home.

So cosy.

Then it was time for cooling. Used a griffin radiator that was flipped 90 degrees and made a custom filling point on the water elbow. Also a new radiator support was made.

On the intake department, used a Q45 TB (88mm) and 3" aluminum tubing with a vibrant velocity stack. Will change it soon to a 3.5" thats more of the size of the TB.
Had to make some cuts in order to fit the huge k&n filter.

Finally started mocking up the AN fittings for the fuel and oil lines.

And lastly the wiring loom for the haltech ecu.

Turned over the engine today for the first time. It sounded quite good. Cant wait to start it, tune it and see what this little devil can do.

candamo
Club4AG Regular

Postby candamo » Thu May 28, 2015 6:28 pm

First off, the response and the torque from the two liter is insane. Last weekend on the autox, most civics did the last part of the course in 1st gear. I could easily do it in 2nd at low rpms and still have great response and dont miss time shifting.

Not bad for stock head and a mustang dyno i believe.

After an alignment.

Ready to race.

A vid from last weekend autox.

https://youtu.be/KfCsSd2bURk

candamo
Club4AG Regular

Postby candamo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:21 pm

The first event was at a kart track. Only 1st and second gear on a not very fast but technical course. Besides the added 50whp and 45ft/lb of torque added, the rear was much more unpredictable and unstable. I'd say that on this track it wasnt so bad because of the speed.
The next week end the event was at a local circuit track. The course was a lot faster and that amplified all the rear end woes.
Couldnt go as fast as I wanted. It was very nervous at the limit.

Before the event alignment on the rear couldn't be properly set. There must be something wrong with the new GTS rear end I got, but there was no time to fix it.

Took it out today and measured with a straight edge at both ends and there is a 5mm difference in length :shock:

Took it at a local machine shop and its all sorted out.

Now since we are fixing one problem on the rear end department, why not fix two!
Equal length 4 links coming up.

Also Need to get better tires to keep up with the competition. Everyone is running Hoosiers A6/A7 and im using Yokos A048 which have much less grip.

Heres a vid from the last event

https://youtu.be/EhoV8SnD5vE