My Trueno GT-Apex 20v swap and resto.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Re: My Trueno GT-Apex 20v swap and resto.

Postby grappletech » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Did your car already have the rubber sealant in the wheel wells?
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:59 pm

"Decided the front wheel wells were looking a little tatty..decided to coat them in a heavy layer of underbody seal. I'm sure i'll regret it one day, but for now, it looks tits!"

No, it was only painted black. Most cars in Japan have no type of undersealant or stonechip. There is a little patch of stonechip right behind the tire, thats it.

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 pm

The undercoat came out great, man. I don't see why you would regret that!
Keep up the good work with everything =)
irony.cc

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:28 pm

More Progress:

Both fenders are now done and ready for paint. Just waiting on some better masking tape with a fine edge to mask off the black/white edge. Once that arrives, these will be sprayed and back on the car.

Here you can see how my standard painters tape was giving me a horrible edge. Ill have to sand that down and make the new edge just a hair above it. You'll never know!

Did the final knife putty skim to fill in all the tiny pinholes....getting really picky here....

These pinholes probably would have been filled in during the black coat anyway.

Really thinking about plastering this huge DIREZZA sticker onto my bumper...its vinyl so if it looks dumb I'll just pull it off.

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby -zenki- » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:22 am

JyuRoku wrote:UPDATES!
Went To get my alignment. They said they can only do toe. And they couldn't even do that right...steering wheel cocked to the left at 11 o'clock while driving straight on the way home...

Getting alignment done on these is silly. When i took mine to the shop they said caster wasn't adjustable. Even when i proved them otherwise they still were hesitant to do it.
FLAWLESS VICTORY

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:06 pm

that's why I tend to pay a little extra and take my car to a motorsports oriented shop for alignments. Or a shop that's willing to let me assist with the alignment. Most bigger places wont allow customers in the bays. Suprisingly my go-to alignment place was a truck stop, had a nice roll over pit, and the guy let me assist with the alignment and we did all custom settings everytime. He did a free-alignments for life deal for $350. Little did he know I'd be there after every trackday making adgjustments lol.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Knife putty'd the fenders so their perfectly smooth now!

Started the rear fenders...so far its MUCH easier. One thin coat of filler gets it looking nice and smooth.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:15 am

So the front fenders are finally finished. Just need some polishing and cleaning but ill worry about that once their back on the car.

Im estimating close to 20mm added to the width of the fender but not sure...i just flared it to match the wheels and tires.

managed to retain my TRD stickers.

Using a quality aerosol can paint and a heater really helped. Heat the can until its almost hot enough to wear a glove, then the pressure goes up and you get a much better mist. Only light wetsanding and polishing is required to get a professional looking finish...I wouldnt count on it lasting as long though.

Heating each coat with a heat gun also helps to eliminate any orange peel. And drastically reduces drying times. If you plan to wetsand and make it nice, you need to apply MANY coats.

Now to buckle down and finish the rears.....it never ends!!!!!!

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Amazing that that is from a spray can, stellar work man!

hachi-6 D0ri
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachi-6 D0ri » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Respect! That's decent! Work bud
If your not crashing .. Stop being a p**$y Go hard in the paint!

~Stig

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Impulsively ordered a pair of Techno Toy Tuning fender braces. Installation was easy enough but **** if it didnt wreck my door alignment. Spent 20mins installing the brace and an hour getting the door gaps correct again. Fenders went on easy enough and look great. Now to get this Goodline x Max Force Ready bumper painted properly.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Well the left rear arch is complete! Not to toot my own horn but this is the best spray painting job I've ever done...here's to hoping it lasts. I threw the front end back together using the original bumper. Holding off on the Goodline bumper for now as I cant seem to get a good clean finish on it. Having some chemical reaction problems and with my plans to repaint the car, ill hold off for now.

Damil22

Postby Damil22 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:46 pm

amazing build!!! ........ cant stop drooling...

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks alot Damil!

So i got the rear fenders completed today.

Removed the rear window tint. What a PITA!!!!

Now to get all that glue off...

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:00 pm

Shes running and driving now. Installed the PowerCraft N2 header. Removed A/C. Also put in some 100mm stacks. LOVING THEM.

Spruced up this vintage Momo Prototipo with some TRD inspired stripes.

Installed the rear Bilstein shocks. So far so good, they arent bad but I do feel like they are a bit weak for a 6k spring, no surprise there.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:23 pm

What Bilstein shocks are you using? Part number?

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:28 pm

http://www.ae86fightclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57
Eat your heart out.

From my two 40min trips to work, in my opinion these rear shocks work well with my 6k spring at high speeds but at low speeds the bumps are insane. I'm going to try these with a 4.5-5k spring and put a 6k up front and see how that goes. Im probably going to get a lot of rubbing being as low as i am so these shocks may end up being for my winter setup(Standard lowering springs and shortened struts).

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:36 pm

So they're the saab 900 shocks?

Have you looked into getting them revalved? In some cases it's not too expensive.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:03 pm

i have thought about it but i have a nice pair of TRD 8-ways so they'll be my 6k-spring shock, and the bilstiens will be my 4.5k shock.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri May 01, 2015 9:58 am

Have you tried the trd's? IMO they're a bit soft for 6k springs. It's nice that they can be adjusted though.

The car looks great btw. Keep up the good work.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sun May 03, 2015 2:11 pm

yea ive been using them for roughly 6months, they arent comfortable but im to the point where i dont think a 6k spring can be comfortable in an ae86 lol

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sat May 09, 2015 2:23 pm

So i got word from a friend that he was looking for some 8.5J 14" watanabe's to trade for his 9J's. We made a no-cash deal. Which works out perfect since i was thinking about putting some spacers in the rear.

Got sick of looking at my peeling and yellow'd OEM stickers so I looked up this guy http://www.ebay.com/usr/iaaraujo?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 on Ebay and ordered a set of gold vinyl oem style stickers. He made me a custom 20v version and added in some window visor decals. Great price, fast shipping and great guy to deal with. Definitely recommend his decals. I will be honest these are not PERFECTLY sized, but they are close enough. They are also no TRUE oem style as they are simply cut vinyl...but IMO these look better than the OEM type.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:10 am

I completely forgot about this but for my own horrible memory ill keep it up to date so i can look back on it years down the road.

Found this awesome 80's MOMO Prototipo on ebay. Removed from an old E30 track car, even came with a BMW horn button showing lots of age.
ImageUntitled by Zack Hafler, on Flickr

Used some leftover vinyl from my windscreen banner to make some TRD type stripes and did a quick resto on the leather. This has been my favorite wheel so far. Its been in the car for year or so now.
ImageUntitled by Zack Hafler, on Flickr

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:33 pm

wow. great attn to detail