UPDATE: 5.5agze 20v coming Spring 2015

rekik
Club4AG Regular

Re: CONSUMER 5.5ag 20v Coupe...dedicated to Orions Demise!

Postby rekik » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 am

when you switch to the 3", did you notice in difference in power on the low end? that exhaust is very sexy...

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:54 am

yes i notice it revs more freely throughout the power band now... before there was a flat spot at about 7500-8000 where i could feel the old exhaust was at its limit....cant say for sure how much hp gain it makes as i have not been to the dyno yet but i can feel an improvement....as far as my low end power....its a stroker setup so my low end torque is higher at 2000 rpm than the blacktop had at peak so no lost there....
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

Ultimx
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Ultimx » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Awesome engine build, can't wait for the final results. Are you sticking with the same header? I just finished reading and saw you ditched the hytech header.

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Are you running oversized valves or did you just make improved OEM sized valves?

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Yes ditched the hytech header and went with the FA spec JSP header after speaking with Moto and Taka. InitialB, the ferrea valve train is just a custom improvement of the factory valve train, lighter, stronger and a different tulip design....

UPDATE:

After a working out the bugs of the engine finally got it on the dyno and more issues presented itself so after 2 years of trying to get a full race engine to run right i threw in the towel and decided to go a different route which will produce more hp and be a lot more street friendly. Heres the last dyno run with the car, had some very bad ignition issues and the plugs ended up getting fouled with no replacement on hand...didnt get a clean run so no hp numbers were documented but it sure sounded good up to 9800rpm. View My Video

Heres a few pics of it all done

So the plan for the rest of the winter is to instal a new rooters supercharger....took me a while to decide on this or the beams and i decided to stick with the 4ag. Some of you who have known me for a while know that this car was a recreation of the supercharged 86 i had in Japan...only difference is the one in Japan was kouki and this of course is zenki...and the one in japan was supercharged. So getting back on track i decided to follow through and supercharge this one. I opted for the Raw supercharger kit out of England and since nobody has successfully supercharged a 20v besides them this will be a first. Engine will stay 5.5ag but the compression is moving from 14.1 to 10.5, head will be blacktop but using the CNC development from MRP with 1mm oversized valves this time. Cam are down from the toda high lift to the tomei poncams as I will be using VVT on this setup...header is JSP and exhaust is also a custom JSP 3 inch. Haven't decided on an intercooler yet but it will be something small as the rotrex has a independent oil system and is only attached to the engines intake side by a bracket at two points which minimizes direct heat soak from the block like the gze did. Not being a traditional roots style charger it doesn't produce the same heat so I don't need anything really big to cool the charge. More than likely i will be going with a custom JSP intake plenum for the ITBS and retuning the Adaptronic ecu. Supercharger size is the C30-94 with a 105mm pulley and a custom 120mm BHJ crank pulley which will optimize the max rpm range the charger can operate at and still make boost which will be 9700rpm. For those that don't know about rotrex its completely different than roots style chargers and will create boost from idle to redline unlike the other chargers. Anyhow waiting on custom pistons now and my head...block should be in the shop around mid February and back in the car around march ready to go to the dyno for tuning.....the C30-94 is capable of 400 hp....Raw in England made 305bhp/245lbs/ft on a silver top using 9.5 c/r blacktop head and cams, aftermarket rods and pistons, 90mm supercharger pulley with an aftermarket ecu on 95 octane....with the 5.5ag I'm hoping for 350-380 with 300+ lbs/ft of torque as I will be capable of more boost from the bigger pulley on the charger, higher c/r, cams and 200cc more . See what happens. Heres a picture of the moc up..making sure everything lines up and seeing what needs to be modified....as of right now my custom moors pan is going to have to come off...the alternator sits to low and hits the intake wing of the pan...

Ultimx
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: UPDATE: 5.5agze 20v coming Spring 2015

Postby Ultimx » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Nooo!!! I so wanted to see this build be finished...good luck on the gze. All motor power is so amazing but im sure the zg will put a smile on your face. Are all your ignition wires shielded? I dont remember seeing if they were or not in the build.

Reno86

Postby Reno86 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:47 pm

it's a shame to see you giving up on the N/A setup, but with all the issues I can't blame you, at some point driving and enjoying the car has to happen.

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:40 am

Everything was basically finished...daily driver status was never going to happen with 14.1 compression but i did enjoy the car a dozen times or so around town....N/A is awesome but another thing that pushed me towards boost is I'm going to compete in SCCA this year and the SM class I'm in has nothing but egos and Stis...so in order to be competitive I'm going to need to be a lot faster...i already have them all by 1000lbs but they have 4wd and turbos. I was running cops on the setup something is wrong with the distributor using it as a COP and I didn't want to keep trying to figure it out or spend more money changing to a different setup..
Reno your right i came to that point of either spending more money or building something a lot less problem free with a lot more power.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:07 am

hehehehehehe.... I've been a fan of the Rotrex for a while now....

old forum... member name bimbleuk.... 20V silvertop, basically stock, with a Rotrex... 267hp 175#/ft. Size the Rotrex correctly, and you should be in the 400hp range...
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:36 am

Yes very good supercharger....im using the c30-94 with the 105mm pulley....i believe the guy above was using a smaller charger and 90m pulley on his stock engine...this one is capable of 16-17psi and 400hp....think that is plenty for me not trying to go back to the future.

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:32 am

new Pistons are in and block is in the shop...83mm 10.5c/r with ceramic coating and friction reduction coat on skirts...strange to see how big a difference 83mm bore makes with compression dome height...first picture is 83mm 12.6c/r with a normal 20v dome then at 83mm 10.5c/r the pistons are surprisingly flat...dont know if you can tell in the pictures but if you can see where the rings go on each piston you will notice the size difference between n/a pistons and pistons for boost.

Heads all done....CNC ports, 1mm oversized valves, Bronze guides, combustion chamber has been cleaned up as well. 38mm exhaust ports as well. Valve buckets are currently being DLC treated as well.

Also has a custom plenum made for boost....came out pretty nice

lastly I've had this for a while but wanted to thank Moto for helping me get this awesome seat since my other bride seat shrunk and I no longer fit in it. lol

update more when the block gets back from the shop

Billy_Andrea
Club4AG Expert

Postby Billy_Andrea » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:16 am

Looks amazing, love the port work !! Great stuff so far, can't wait to see this monster smoke the tires....

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:55 am

About time lol. Looking forward to more updates.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:49 am

Port work does look pretty good.... in particular I like the exhaust side.... looks like flow will not be an issue.

Any bench #s?
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:15 pm

260s at 10.7mm lift intake and 210s at same lift for exhaust although the exhaust was flowed at 35mm bore and now it's 38mm so probably a few more cfm from the 3mm size increase. These numbers are at 28" water also..

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:54 am

Ok fellas, engine work is done at the shop....had to get a new block, the other was already 83mm and re-honing it would of put it out of the sidewall specs needed so got a new block, bored for 83mm, installed everything and had my head bolted on...over the past week or two I've been slowly bolting everything on, had my cams and valve buckets DLC coated, shimmed the cams which for anyone who has a 20v knows how big of a pain in the ass that is and this is what the results are....
Heres the head with the DLC coated valve buckets and a SQ Engineering block off plate that eliminates that bulk air canister that sits on top of the ITB manifold. I tapped it with a barb so I can still connect the idle control valve to it.

DLC coated cams and valve buckets. Last engine setup I had I just did the buckets and there was no wear on the sides or tops at all when I sold the head...this time I did both in hopes the friction reduction would be reduced substantially between the cam lobes and buckets and between the cam caps where the cams spin at.

Heres my original valve cover, I had an additional 10an fitting welded to the rear of the cover. I will be running two catch cans this time...one from the original pcv location to a catch can and then to a one way check valve to another port I'm having placed on that SQ block off plate above...this will recirculate the crank case pressure back into the engine after the catch can scrubs it...when the intake pressurizes and there is no more vacuum in the manifold the check valve will close to prevent the crank case pressure from being pushed back thru the catch can into the valve cover. The second port on the back of the head will go to a second catch can to scrub the air and then into my air intake pipe after my air filter...once the supercharger starts to spin it will cause vacuum and suck the air out of the valve cover creating negative pressure in the engine..well thats how I'm figuring it will all work out anyways.

This is old from the last engine but i installed a new teflon piece to scrape the crank and made a few adjustments to the metal scrapers as well.

Heres some pictures of the engine being assembled, New SQ engineering RWD water circulation kit is top notch and fits perfectly with the S/C, Custom made plenum with velocity stacks by Barry at MRP, Block was prepped like the last one water jackets cemented half way up, crank case polished to remove any casting marks and rough edges.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Another oil pan from Moroso...this time its a full custom pan with the same trap door system as my last pan but has smaller wings so its less volume but he old pan would not clear the lower alternator with the supercharger kit. This thing is built tough and kind of heavy.

Thats it for now will update as my progress continues....sorry if some of the pictures come out sideways i can't figure out why they upload that way.

Billy_Andrea
Club4AG Expert

Postby Billy_Andrea » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:13 am

Looking really nice ! Can't wait to see her running... What kind of tires are you using ? Seems like something sticky will be needed when this thing starts to turn !

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:16 am

WOW. Engine looks amazing, Boss.
You always deliver with the engine goodness.
irony.cc

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:46 am

I have a set of Toyo RA1s on my car now but have another set of watanabes with some ventus z214s on them

YoShImUrA
Club4AG Expert

Postby YoShImUrA » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Looking great. Can't wait to see it running in a vid at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:17 am

Keeping it with the old school look this time...wrinkle textured valve cover (belts not actually pink its a red Toda belt)

alavelle12
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alavelle12 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Can you explain how you changed the pcv valve location to work with a an-fitting? I'm looking to do the same for an oil catch can, just didn't know if it takes a lot of modification or not.

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Rear is welded on, pulled out the port and bored the hole big as the 10an fitting...had it welded in place.....the side since that hole is already big for the stock PCV the shop took a piece of aluminum tube the size of the hole, pressed it into the valve cover and threaded the inside so the 10an fitting screwed in. I have a 10an single catch can for sale with two 10an ports on the side and one open port on top for a filter I am selling...using duel catch cans for this setup now and recirculating the air back into the system versus venting to atmosphere. Nuffsaid02 at aol.com if you want to see it.

candamo
Club4AG Regular

Postby candamo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:29 am

Sick build man.
On my car I did a venturi on the exhaust that provides constant vacuum at the crankcase. There are also electric vacuum pumps that do this.
I vent it all to the exhaust and pcv to the atmosphere.
I'd rather plant a few trees and get more hp :lol:

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks,

with duel catch can setup there will be constant vacuum either from the intake manifold or the supercharger...i don't want any of that gunk messing up my 02 sensor. Venting to the atmosphere doesn't make anymore hp then recalculated....its just a myth thats been debated over and over.

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Davegt27 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Very cool glad I came back to club4ag for a visit

My 5AGZE has been running for awhile, this is what the 83mm Wiseco pistons look like (the left piston is a 83mm HKS)

I picked up a 20V head so I might be following your foot steps

Davegt27
Davegt27 Code One Racing

smackdownz
Club4AG Regular

Postby smackdownz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:44 am

such an awesome build!

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:48 am

Dave you sure that's an HKS piston? All HKS Pistons were cast and I don't think the made any 83mm that were sell due to the block prep required... that looks billet...if your interested I have a set of CP 5.5ag pistons I'm selling for $350 set of 4 shipped..they are out of my previous 20v build..a spark plug tip melted and broke off and bounced around on one of the Pistons and dinged it up a little but my machine shop smoothed it some so it's still usable...only thing is the others are coated and the smoothing wore the ceramic off on one end so would have to be re coated or not.. Anyhow they were 900$ for the set new and another 200 for coating you get them for 350 if interested ... Email me nuffsaid02 at aol.com I will send u pics.

Smack down thanks

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Davegt27 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Yeah pretty sure they came in a HKS box and have HKS on the bottom of the pistons

Gordon the guy that has been bringing in parts from Japan for years called one day "hey wants some HKS 2 ring pistons"

Sorry I have more Toyota Hi performance parts then I know what to do with so I don’t need the 5.5ag pistons
Davegt27 Code One Racing

101_gze

Postby 101_gze » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:43 pm

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:Thats it for now will update as my progress continues....sorry if some of the pictures come out sideways i can't figure out why they upload that way.

Its ok...

I'm fine with it.

Who supplied the charger bracket? Are they readily available?