Hi from South Africa...

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
REV 2 11

Hi from South Africa...

Postby REV 2 11 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 am

Hi guys,

Hope everyone and their Toys are doing great!
There are some insane cars on this board!

I love circuit, and more so I love high RPM.
And those two points bring me to my Project Car: a red 2001 MR2 Mk3 Spyder...
...and the planned swap is a fully built high-revving N/A 4A-GE 20v BT...11000rpm is the target I'm hoping to reach.

Building as a dual-purpose road and track car.
Already have most of the parts for the engine build itself, but I am still busy getting bits in, and its a still a long way from completion...but then, aren't all Project cars? :D

I'll state this from the outset: I am no master engine builder, nor engineer or mechanic. I am just another Toyota fanatic, and 20v fanatic, here to learn and to share as well.
I am mostly doing this build on my own, in my garage at home...well...except the engineering. :oops:

With that said, here's a few pics:

When I got the car:

The car currently:

The Toda head setup:

Custom Wiseco pistons:

Comments and criticism welcome... :mrgreen:

Thanks for having a peek at my intro...and I look forward to chatting to everyone at some point.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: Hi from South Africa...

Postby ga_goosh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 am

nice build. but can i ask what inspired the 4ag 20v over the 3sgte?
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

REV 2 11

Postby REV 2 11 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:46 am

ga_goosh wrote:nice build. but can i ask what inspired the 4ag 20v over the 3sgte?

Thanks! :)

Well, I love n/a, and I am not a big fan of boost, though the 3S is a very capable engine.
I'm not after mad power, just usable power at high rpm, in a well balanced car.
Also I did not want to change the handling dynamics of the car too much with putting in a bigger and heavier engine in the rear.
The 2ZZ is another viable n/a option for the Mk3, but I personally dislike the way Lift reacts when cornering.

This is my second 20v swop...the first was in an AE92.
I actually decided on the engine and started buying the parts before I decided on the car it would go into. :lol:

Sometimes I do sit back and think, that had I gone 3SGTE the car would have already been completed, and cost a whole lot less.
Building this has put some decent-sized holes in my pocket, particularly when you consider that our exchange rate is not that grand...currently R9 (South African Rands) = $1...
...and that exchange rate is the biggest reason this build is taking so long :(

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 am

that makes sence might as well build it to your liking lol have you explored the camry v6? iv always liked that swap lol nice build keep it up
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

REV 2 11

Postby REV 2 11 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 am

ga_goosh wrote:that makes sence might as well build it to your liking lol have you explored the camry v6? iv always liked that swap lol nice build keep it up

Thanks man.

Yep...I got a lotta love for the 20v! :mrgreen:

Yeah the Camry V6 is wicked!
I have a buddy with a 1MZFE Camry V6 with ITB's in a Mk3. It's an absolute ear-gasm on wheels! It breaks traction as low as 2500rpm, and continues to do so through to the redline, and all the way into 5th gear, and thats still N/A! :shock:
Keeping it in check is a mission, as its very tail-heavy and tail-happy, which is not always a bad thing... :D

Maybe one day, I will build a 2GR-FE 3.5 V6 in a Mk3...the idea is growing on me more and more.
Will need to tame this 20v first though...lol