Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
notnilc20
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:41 am

Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on with Dorikaze.net? It's been down for what seems like 2 weeks? These forums are going extinct.....I sure hope club4ag doesn't go that route. Thanks.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby ga_goosh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:56 am

I noticed that too. at first it said it was under maintenance for a good month or longer but now it seems shut down
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

aukword1
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby aukword1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 am

Anyone know who the owner is? I am sure they have an account on this forum as well.

jinx
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby jinx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:52 pm

lack of activity may eventually lead to unplugging all of these forums, one by one. Sad
photosuckit doin its part too - lol

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Yea dude... kids today dont do forums its just "instagram" builds , saddest thing ever, its pretty much a picture and a comment like "look at my new 20x18 Work Meisters fam!!!! 100!!! #stanced" lol hahaha

notnilc20
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 pm

xslowpokex wrote:Yea dude... kids today dont do forums its just "instagram" builds , saddest thing ever, its pretty much a picture and a comment like "look at my new 20x18 Work Meisters fam!!!! 100!!! #stanced" lol hahaha


Haha...so true.

User avatar
Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am
Location: Lexington KY
Contact:

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am

jinx wrote:lack of activity may eventually lead to unplugging all of these forums, one by one. Sad
photosuckit doin its part too - lol


Thats why we need to keep this one alive!!

Forums will make a comeback as these cars become more collectors items vs toys.
Firm believer that if you build it, they will come.


xslowpokex wrote:Yea dude... kids today dont do forums its just "instagram" builds , saddest thing ever, its pretty much a picture and a comment like "look at my new 20x18 Work Meisters fam!!!! 100!!! #stanced" lol hahaha


#stance #stancelife #jdmaf #stanceworks# #killingthegame
[Another Day, Another Beer]
_____________________
instagram: @JacobDurbin

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby xslowpokex » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Jayrdee wrote:
jinx wrote:lack of activity may eventually lead to unplugging all of these forums, one by one. Sad
photosuckit doin its part too - lol


Thats why we need to keep this one alive!!

Forums will make a comeback as these cars become more collectors items vs toys.
Firm believer that if you build it, they will come.


xslowpokex wrote:Yea dude... kids today dont do forums its just "instagram" builds , saddest thing ever, its pretty much a picture and a comment like "look at my new 20x18 Work Meisters fam!!!! 100!!! #stanced" lol hahaha


#stance #stancelife #jdmaf #stanceworks# #killingthegame
i do honestly believe the 86 will gain a bigger cult following as it is reaching classic car status faster than all the other collector Japanese classics. Its scarcity just makes it more desireable sought after and it is one of the few japanese cars that is wanted by other car communities outside of the japanese car community. I know the forum is a little more dead now but i do appreciate the absence of the many fanboys before, dont miss the multitude of sr5's owners panda paint jobs and initial d references on every post lol...i suppose we are the masochistic bunch that stuck around. The average 86 owner nowaday is a much more mature and informed owner and honestly of all the other car forums, 86 owners are the most humble, respectful and knowledgeable people...i never think twice about doing business with a forum member but i cant say that about other car communities lol

User avatar
Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am
Location: Lexington KY
Contact:

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 pm

xslowpokex wrote:The average 86 owner nowaday is a much more mature and informed owner and honestly of all the other car forums, 86 owners are the most humble, respectful and knowledgeable people...i never think twice about doing business with a forum member but i cant say that about other car communities lol



True story.

Honda's and 240's on the other hand ....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
[Another Day, Another Beer]
_____________________
instagram: @JacobDurbin

jinx
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby jinx » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:37 pm

it's back up.... for now at least

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby jondee86 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 am

Kind of interesting... I was having a browse on Dorikaze tonight and reading a
thread about the lack of activity on the site/FB killing the forums etc. Could have
been copy+pasted from a similar thread here :) Ultimately, people who like FB gonna
look for their info there (GL wit dat) and people who appreciate forums will stay
with forums.

Dropping the old club4AG forum has cost this club 75% of the DIY and technical
links that made club4AG the best AE86 reference resource on the web. Now noobs
have to ask the questions that used to be fully covered in the reference links...
and some old timers just get tired of going over the same ground every few months.
But there will always be a few wise heads around that refuse to be sucked in to FB.

[rant]
FB is basically a money making scam that presents itself as a "free" social media
service, when all it is really doing is pandering to the lowest common denominator
in our society to push advertising. It is an organisation with the moral standards
of a 50 year old hooker in a mining camp. But lots of people like it and that simply
goes to prove the old saying... No one ever went broke underestimating the
intelligence of the American public.

I use FB to access four groups for professionals active in building engines and tuning
them. I use an ad blocker and turn off news feed and all other unwanted crap. But
I am already tired of sifting thru all the bad information and childish bitching.

FB is for kids and forums are for adults... pretty simple really :)
[/rant]

Cheers... jondee86
Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

notnilc20
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 am

jondee86 wrote:Kind of interesting... I was having a browse on Dorikaze tonight and reading a
thread about the lack of activity on the site/FB killing the forums etc. Could have
been copy+pasted from a similar thread here :) Ultimately, people who like FB gonna
look for their info there (GL wit dat) and people who appreciate forums will stay
with forums.

Dropping the old club4AG forum has cost this club 75% of the DIY and technical
links that made club4AG the best AE86 reference resource on the web. Now noobs
have to ask the questions that used to be fully covered in the reference links...
and some old timers just get tired of going over the same ground every few months.
But there will always be a few wise heads around that refuse to be sucked in to FB.

[rant]
FB is basically a money making scam that presents itself as a "free" social media
service, when all it is really doing is pandering to the lowest common denominator
in our society to push advertising. It is an organisation with the moral standards
of a 50 year old hooker in a mining camp. But lots of people like it and that simply
goes to prove the old saying... No one ever went broke underestimating the
intelligence of the American public.

I use FB to access four groups for professionals active in building engines and tuning
them. I use an ad blocker and turn off news feed and all other unwanted crap. But
I am already tired of sifting thru all the bad information and childish bitching.

FB is for kids and forums are for adults... pretty simple really :)
[/rant]

Cheers... jondee86


I agree....I think facebook is mainly for narcissists. While I can see how it could be a useful tool for keeping up with old friends, I don't see what the draw is. I tried to use it but I get sick of seeing what others are having for dinner and such. Also I must be doing things wrong I can never find any useful information about ae86 when I'm on there. I search for ae86 and all I find is some groups in the pnw and west coast and not much action on there either. Can someone enlighten me?

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Haha narcissistic is a kind work for the FB, instacrap crowd....yea fb and instagram builds are the saddest things ever haha and jondee86 is right forums are for adults or atleast for people serious about cars that dont care for internet celebrity or hype...i think the decline in activity can also be attributed with evolution of cars, as much as we love our 86s they were not going to be relevant forever, heck they were outdated since the 90s lol, many of the "big" members on here moved on to newer chassis, even MotoP moved on to the Frs and others just completely fell off due to family, growing up...remember many members selling their 86s to fund college and other ventures hope they come back : )

User avatar
Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am
Location: Lexington KY
Contact:

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm

xslowpokex wrote:i think the decline in activity can also be attributed with evolution of cars, as much as we love our 86s they were not going to be relevant forever, heck they were outdated since the 90s lol, many of the "big" members on here moved on to newer chassis, even MotoP moved on to the Frs and others just completely fell off due to family, growing up...remember many members selling their 86s to fund college and other ventures hope they come back : )


A little off-topic but Japanese Nostalgic Car posted an interesting question about the state of our JNC's, since the global market is shifting towards autonomous combustion-free vehicles. Basically asking what will happen to them.

My thoughts (copy/pasted)
There’s no doubt that cars will eventually be 100% autonomous. But what does that mean to our JNCs? I honestly think they will make a comeback.

To the general public, cars are just tools, a necessity. But once you take the “necessity” factor away, driving will be strictly for pleasure, and when things are done for pleasure they become hobbies. There’s ALWAYS a market for hobbies. This opens up a whole new door for automakers, sponsors, media, the racing industry, etc. For example, the Dodge Demon. Is there a need for a 840hp V8 10 second production vehicle? Not at all … but people love speed and racing. Very much so that people are willing to spend up to like, 85k to have one. Another example, people stopped riding horses over 100 years ago. So why do people spend thousands of dollars on horses? Or celebrities and how they travel from all over the world to go to the KY Derby? Its just fun!

It might be a little harder to get gas or drive to the store, but I don’t think it will be impossible.

Another thing to consider, things that are automated require maintenance. And to change something as big as the entire global automotive industry and make it all automated, that opens a whole new job market and a new generation of mechanics, engineers, and tinker-ers. People who get satisfaction out of doing stuff with their own hands.

And whats more satisfying than tinkering with some hunk of old rusty metal?


There's too much information on forums for them to die away, but then again it costs money to keep them up and running. There's no point in keeping a website up if no one uses it anymore. So ... with that in mind we just gotta keep it alive until people start coming back!!!
[Another Day, Another Beer]
_____________________
instagram: @JacobDurbin

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby jondee86 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Jayrdee wrote:Another thing to consider, things that are automated require maintenance. And to change
something as big as the entire global automotive industry and make it all automated, that
opens a whole new job market and a new generation of mechanics, engineers, and tinker-ers.
People who get satisfaction out of doing stuff with their own hands.

Also interesting to speculate on the ultimate goals of the motor industry. Do they want cars
to be repaired and returned to the roads after they break down or become worn out ?? What
happens if your phone or toaster or electric razor stops working ?? Do you take it to a repair
shop or do you throw it in the nearest dumpster and go buy a new one ??

As cars become increasingly sophisticated with computers controlling the throttle, steering,
trans, engine, suspension, brakes etc., the technicians job consists of using another computer
to determine which is the faulty part, and then replacing that part with a new one. Components
are generally not repairable, designed to have a certain service life and then to be replaced.

Take it one step further, and you have the disposable car. Factory sealed and built with a
design life of (say) 150,000 miles without needing servicing. Killer concept... reduced cost to
produce, no parts inventory required, very latest safety and environmental controls on every
vehicle, car stops working if anyone tampers with it, no need for trained technicians for
servicing, and no old clunkers on the roads. Legislators will LOVE this !!!! Japan is
already well down the road towards developing the "sealed for life" engine package.

Something to think about :)

Cheers... jondee86
Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

User avatar
Jayrdee
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am
Location: Lexington KY
Contact:

Re: Dori-Kaze FINISHED?

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 pm

jondee86 wrote:Also interesting to speculate on the ultimate goals of the motor industry. Do they want cars
to be repaired and returned to the roads after they break down or become worn out ?? What
happens if your phone or toaster or electric razor stops working ?? Do you take it to a repair
shop or do you throw it in the nearest dumpster and go buy a new one ??

As cars become increasingly sophisticated with computers controlling the throttle, steering,
trans, engine, suspension, brakes etc., the technicians job consists of using another computer
to determine which is the faulty part, and then replacing that part with a new one. Components
are generally not repairable, designed to have a certain service life and then to be replaced.

Take it one step further, and you have the disposable car. Factory sealed and built with a
design life of (say) 150,000 miles without needing servicing. Killer concept... reduced cost to
produce, no parts inventory required, very latest safety and environmental controls on every
vehicle, car stops working if anyone tampers with it, no need for trained technicians for
servicing, and no old clunkers on the roads. Legislators will LOVE this !!!! Japan is
already well down the road towards developing the "sealed for life" engine package.

Something to think about :)

Cheers... jondee86



Ahhh .. touche, very valid points. I never thought of it that way.

Although I think the term "maintenance" will have a whole new meaning in the next few years. Instead of replacing stuff like brake pads, and leaking seals/gaskets, it will be more geared towards stuff like computer programming, electromechanics, etc. Might not be physical moving parts, but there's still going to be bugs and kinks with automatic stuff. You can really see this shift in labor in production. Less physical labor, and more maintenance. Someones gotta take care of all the robots that make our cars!

We could go on forever about whats going to happen in the future Lol. But I think regardless of what happens, we will always have nostalgia on our side ;) everyone loves V I N T A G E stuff!
[Another Day, Another Beer]
_____________________
instagram: @JacobDurbin

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.



Return to “Fun Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests