Not 4ag related, but I think this is awesome

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Not 4ag related, but I think this is awesome

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:25 am

NISMO recently announced that its starting a program to recreate discontinued parts for specific Nissan cars, first being the R32 GTR. I wouldn't be surprised if the z models or s-chassis comes next.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/news-nismo-announces-heritage-parts-restoration-program-for-r32-skyline-gt-r/

I always think its cool when a big manufacturer acknowledges the passion/cult-following for its cars. I don't really follow European cars but I have a co-worker who used to work in parts for Mercedes and he would tell me about how they have a classic car division where you can get almost every single part for every single car ever made, even limited run accessories. If it was old enough, he would have to order from dirty old catalogs and call some old dudes in Germany.

Who knows, maybe Toyota/TRD will see this and decide to do a similar program for its classics. With how popular its cars/motors are, i'm surprised they haven't done so already.

And if you look at what Toyota has done these past few years, it seems like they're trying to get back into the sportier side of the automotive industry. They're getting back into the WRC with the 2017 Yaris, recently announced the supercharged 1.8l 6-speed LSD Yaris they plan on doing a limited number of (unfortunately won't be offered in the US), there's the FT1 that is "rumored" to be the next Supra, Lexus has a solid lineup of V8 cars and the LC-LF, etc. I think this is a good sign since they make all their money from selling Camry's to your Aunt Betty.

I remember being super stoked about the GT86 when they first announced it. Say what you want about the FRS, even if you think it was just a marketing stunt for all the fanboys, you have to admit its cool they they named a newer production car after a 30 year old Corolla. Just shows they acknowledge the following.

I have high hopes for the future and our chassis ... Or maybe I'm just bored and browse the internet too much at work Lol
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: Not 4ag related, but I think this is awesome

Postby aukword1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Thats interesting. That 1.8l sc engine migth be a good swap for our cars. My wife designs body parts for Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.. and they will come out with the new supra soon. I have seen some of the models and the FT-1 is definitely the new supra. Have you seen the Toyota 860 special editions that came out? They have a dash display that shows your horsepower and torque curves. I actually might buy one pretty soon.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 pm

aukword1 wrote:Thats interesting. That 1.8l sc engine migth be a good swap for our cars. My wife designs body parts for Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.. and they will come out with the new supra soon. I have seen some of the models and the FT-1 is definitely the new supra. Have you seen the Toyota 860 special editions that came out? They have a dash display that shows your horsepower and torque curves. I actually might buy one pretty soon.

Right now as a daily driver I lease a 2015 tC. When my contract is up Im seriously considering buying a Toyota 86 / FRS. That special edition sounds pretty cool! I remember right before they shut down Scion, the dealership I work at got an 86. They were like "idk what the 86 number means, this is just an FRS with Toyota badges" :evil: :cry: :oops: :|

And thats awesome about your wife designing parts!! I'm assuming she's pretty solid at using all that fancy 3D modeling CAD software too, right? If I wasn't so far in my degree right now I would totally switch over to design. But I guess dabbling in my free time will do fine for now Lol. Ultimate goal is to find a spare 4ag and model each component by hand.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Yeah she is good at that 3d modeling CAD software...she knows all the commands by heart and its fun to just watch her work sometimes cause it looks like shes playing a piano. But yeah, I have a spare 4ag if you are missing something I can send some parts to you if you need to do some measurements or something. PM if you like.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 am

aukword1 wrote:Yeah she is good at that 3d modeling CAD software...she knows all the commands by heart and its fun to just watch her work sometimes cause it looks like shes playing a piano. But yeah, I have a spare 4ag if you are missing something I can send some parts to you if you need to do some measurements or something. PM if you like.

Thats awesome!! and sweet! I'm sure when I snag a motor I'll need a few pieces.

Shoot, initially I figured I could learn how to do all that modeling stuff myself so I could theoretically make anything I needed, but if Toyota follows in Nissans footsteps and opens a resto program I might not need to do that!

Msanti
Club4AG Regular

Postby Msanti » Wed May 03, 2017 1:16 am

God I hope Toyota does this with the AE86 and other chassis

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed May 03, 2017 6:08 am

Msanti wrote:God I hope Toyota does this with the AE86 and other chassis

Dude ... I know.

I bet Skyline owners are super pumped, especially R32 owners here in the US. I would imagine its super hard/inconvenient to find parts since obviously the R32 was never sold here. At least with the AE86, you can find parts here already stateside.

Can you imagine how sick it would be if Toyota started making parts for anything that came with a 4ag, 3sg, 2jz, 1jz, etc?!?!?!?

Or the 70s Celicas?!?