トルクマスター torque master

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

トルクマスター torque master

Postby broku-hachi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 pm

I was looking through some of my old magazines the other day and came across this.

My Japanese is lousy, but what I can make out is that a company called "MJ Clubworks", featured a product they called the "torque master." Used to modify the intake port size and shape for the LP head. The driver then tests it installed on his 4AG. Thought it would be interesting to share, there are enough pictures to get the basic concept. If someone who can read Japanese could shed some more light on the topic it would be appreciated.

Imageimage sharing sites

Imagephoto share

Imagepost image

Imagehost image

jondee86

Re: トルクマスター torque master

Postby jondee86 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Damn :) I don't read Japanese but I know exactly what those things are about !! They
are a kind of "choke" that increases the port velocity for improved torque in the low
to mid range... one of the secret weapons of autoX :)

I made something similar when I was designing velocity stacks for my ITB setup. The
stack went all the way down the ITB until almost touching the butterfly. Worked great.
Only downside with that kind of thing is that it does lose a little bit of power at high
rpm due to restricting airflow into the engine.

TOM's velocity stacks incorporated a similar feature due to the 20V ITB's being a bit
too big for good low rpm performance. Nice bit of history you found there :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 am

That's cool you have experience making something like that. Did you use a similar material when you designed your velocity stacks jondee? I wonder if there's any information out there regarding what the ideal exit velocity of the nozzles would be, as well as the average inlet speed of each port. Sounds like a interesting oportunity to bust out the old fluid dynamics books.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:35 am

These are the ones that I made for my ST ITB's...

I first got the idea from reading about a guy who made cone inserts for autoX Miatas.
His cones just had a thin flange so they could be sandwiched between the face of the
ITB and a separate velocity stack. He made several sets with different tapers to give
different outlet diameters... 28-32-35mm or similar. He tested them to see which gave
the best response out of corners with the least loss of top end acceleration.

I decided to combine the velocity stack and cone all in one along the lines of the TOM's
velocity stacks. Made some long curved ones ans some short straight ones, and ended
up preferring the short ones because my inlet runners were longer than the T3 type
adapters... and mine manifold would flow better :)

I think designing this kind of insert is more trial and error than calculation. All I set
out to do was reduce the ITB throat diameter a few mm and reduce the taper before
the throttle plate. I used stock velocity stacks and trimmed the length to suit. Maybe
other length/diameter combinations might have worked better, but I was happy with
the results of the short set, and never bothered to make any more.

Cheers... jondee86

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Wow nicely done sir, those look awesome. I've been staring at this picture a lot lately trying to figure out how you even manufactured those hahaha. One day hopefully I will have the skills and means to make custom bits like this.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 am

Check these guys out.... http://www.jntperformance.com.au/index_c269035.html

I just ordered the size I needed from them, trimmed them to length, got some
flanges waterjet cut and put them together with JB Weld :D Nothing too difficult
there... a few simple hand tools and a bit of patience is all that's required :)

Actually, I was just taking another look at the article in your first post and realized
that the little graph on the righthand side of the last page shows the exact result
I would have expected. Gains right thru the midrange with a small loss at high rpm.
And considering that you don't spend a lot of time at 7000rpm in normal driving,
that would make the car more fun to drive around town.

Cheers... jondee86

AE86Kai
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AE86Kai » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:32 am

I read the article but, actual test on this magazine (assuming this is a G Works Magazine) the last bigger graph indicates that they LOST the torque.
But, it shows gain on the graph (smaller graph) that was provided by MJ clubworks (used on N1 car / stock).

Very interesting article, concept and result.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:11 am

There was a machined plate from one of the many "speed shops" in Japan - I can't remember which....... that was designed to do a similar thing - bottom in photo below

What I've found with porting many 4AGE largeport heads... get the bowls and seats right, and get the transition right from the bowls to the ports...add a bit of compression, and the engine makes very good torque.

;)
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:10 pm

AE86Kai wrote:...the last bigger graph indicates that they LOST the torque.

Ahhh.... I was not able to understand that graph at all :? But yes, it is possible to lose
torque/power as anything you put in the ports will become a restriction at higher speeds.
Looking at the diagram it appears that the TVIS was left in place, and that complicates
things even further.

The concept that I followed indicated that a smaller outlet diameter on the coned insert
improved performance at a lower rpm, and lost more power at higher rpm. By having
several different diameter inserts, it was possible to "tune" the engine performance to
match the gears and rpm's that were being used on each autoX course. Obviously, for a
road car going down as small as a 30mm cone on a 42mm ITB would have a severe effect
on top end, but a 38mm cone could be expected to have a result similar to the small graph.

Again, I was working with ITB's on a smallport.. For a single throttle TVIS engine I think
OST has the answer. Even porting without extra compression would likely work as well
as an insert... or get a smallport head and manifold on there :D

Cheers... jondee86