Greetings from the Bluegrass!

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Greetings from the Bluegrass!

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:52 am

Hello Club4AG!

I've been a frequent browser for many years so I figured its about time I introduce myself! 22 years old, Electrical Engineering Student at the University of Kentucky, Vehicle mechanic for the KY Army National Guard, and work part-time at a Toyota dealership in the parts department.

I will officially be the owner of a 1984 Toyota Corolla Levin AE86 here in 2-3 weeks when it arrives to America! I've spent the past 3 years saving up (with 10+ years of dreaming), and buying/selling cars on craigslist to make this beautiful financial mistake.

(Some pictures I received before it shipped)

I already have a little shopping list of parts that I've bought in advance so I'll be posting a lot more here soon

Here is my daily driver. I'm currently leasing it because my driving record isn't the cleanest ... Lol

And here are some extra pics of two cool rides I imported/sold prior to the 86.

1990 Silvia Qs

1989 Savanna FC RX7 (I legitimately almost kept this one for myself, and I'm not even a big rotary guy)

Now that I will be a first-time ae86 owner, i'm stoked to finally be able to participate in all the 4ag discussions :D
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

jondee86

Re: Greetings from the Bluegrass!

Postby jondee86 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Welcome aboard :) Looks like you got yourself a nice original Levin. Look forward
to seeing what you do with it !!

And wondering if you have any problems in making a RHD car legal in a LHD country ?

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:37 am

jondee86 wrote:Welcome aboard :) Looks like you got yourself a nice original Levin. Look forward
to seeing what you do with it !!

And wondering if you have any problems in making a RHD car legal in a LHD country ?

Cheers... jondee86

Thank you!

and no not really. Once a car reaches 25 years old it is considered an "antique" so it doesn't have to meet any safety/emission standards anymore. Thats why there's all this big fuss about RHD cars in the US; we're finally allowed to get all the cool stuff. I wanted to hop on the train and get a RHD AE86 before prices skyrocket even more, like they have with R32 skylines.

Aside from all the paperwork and hassle of buying/shipping, the only problems I've had were the DMV not knowing how to title/register the car. The people that worked there had never done anything like that before. Ironically, I knew more than they did thanks to me doing too much research on the internet Lol.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 am

Welcome to the boards and the State! I currently live in Louisville but bleed blue for the wildcats (last nights UNC game was tough :( ) Its awesome to see another 86 local, their aren't many in Kentucky. We will have to meet up sometime once I get my car done haha. Car looks awesome can't wait to see it.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Does that JDM 86 have an EGR system????
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 am

nice levin. Looks like it's in top shape
... and those convertible FCs r still beautiful after all these years
I know this chick who imported a RHD vw golf into the usa during here stay at college.
Car was bonded, n had to b exported after the alotted time. This was b 4 internet days
The golf drew so much attention, that she said it became a nuisance.
I think it was her cause she was so dam pretty - lol

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 am

EvoSolley wrote:Welcome to the boards and the State! I currently live in Louisville but bleed blue for the wildcats (last nights UNC game was tough :( ) Its awesome to see another 86 local, their aren't many in Kentucky. We will have to meet up sometime once I get my car done haha. Car looks awesome can't wait to see it.

Do you really?!? I was just up there not too long ago! I have a few friends in that area so I'm sure we have some mutual acquaintances. My gf used to go to Bellarmine University too so we would always hangout in the Bardstown Road area.

Regardless, i'm always down to chill with fellow 86 lovers.

jinx wrote:nice levin. Looks like it's in top shape
... and those convertible FCs r still beautiful after all these years
I know this chick who imported a RHD vw golf into the usa during here stay at college.
Car was bonded, n had to b exported after the alotted time. This was b 4 internet days
The golf drew so much attention, that she said it became a nuisance.
I think it was her cause she was so dam pretty - lol

Thank you!

And dude, I know ... Like, of course I think RX7s are awesome, especially FCs thanks to my un-dying love for initial D and Gran Turismo, but I never really considered actually owning one until I got this one. What made it even cooler was the fact that it was factory turbo-charged. We never got a factory turbo convertible model here in the states. People used to always be like "man, if only it wasn't a vert" but I swear hearing that blow-off valve with the top down was a priceless experience.

It had this weird idle issue and would sputter at open throttle in the higher rpms. Didn't have it long enough to figure out why, but that added to its charm Lol. I now know why dudes are die-hard Rotary Lovers. The FC is like that crazy chick you used to fool around with in school. You know she has problems, and will take all your money, but for some reason you can't get enough hahaha

... And for the chick with the RHD Golf. I think thats every chick that is into cars Lol. Any car will become a nuisance