Opinions on Sr5 20v swaps vs GTS 20v swaps and conversions and everything else

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Opinions on Sr5 20v swaps vs GTS 20v swaps and conversions and everything else

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Just thought i'd start a new topic since the boards are so slow. I wanted to get some opinions and thoughts guys and gals.

Lets say a buyer goes out of his way looking for a gts...must be a gts or nothing....spends $5 to $8k on it and six months later he decides he needs to strip it out and put a 20v blacktop or sr20det in it. This happens a lot it seems. So anyway, why not buy a sr5 and do the sr20 or 20v swap ? Keep the gts original. Maybe because the rear end differences? I know there is more to it than just the engine that makes a gts a gts...but still.

Here's another one. What's your thoughts on an 100% sr5 to gts conversion having gts decals? Is this wrong? The cars are identical in every aspect except the vin. Ok so you think...only original gts can have the gts decals? What about the guys who put Trueno decals on their jdm converted Gts? Is this wrong too? Or sprinter decals or even sprinter tail lights?

My opinion is simple....i think any ae86 can wear whatever as long as it's representative of what your driving. Maybe you like the way a decal looks over another.....I know I like the way the GTS decals look over SR5 and Trueno etc. What's your thoughts....just thought i'd try to spark up some conversation since its so slow....there is no right or wrong answer.....

AE86Kai
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Opinions on Sr5 20v swaps vs GTS 20v swaps and conversions and everything else

Postby AE86Kai » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 am

My opinion for decals.
I had FULL (Door & Trunk) "Zenki" USDM GT-S decals on my Toyota Corolla Levin.... :oops:

jondee86

Re: Opinions on Sr5 20v swaps vs GTS 20v swaps and conversions and everything else

Postby jondee86 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 am

Basically, I'm a purist, and I only have the OEM stickers on my car. But if I was looking
to decorate my car, I'd go for something along these lines...

I like the idea of turning a car into a work of art :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Msanti
Club4AG Regular

Postby Msanti » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:28 am

Well.. I'd say that it's the chassis that's most important. An AE86 is and AE86

Whatever you put in it is subject to the owner

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:59 am

As long as all the decals match, then im good.

Not sure what to say about the 20v gts vs 20v sr5. Most people gravitate towards GTS for the rare factor and less work in the long run.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:59 am

The USDM GTS purists must hate the fact that they technically don't drive an AE86...

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 am

I like no decals whatsoever but that's just me.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Kitsunami wrote:The USDM GTS purists must hate the fact that they technically don't drive an AE86...

elaborate?

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Jeonsah wrote:
Kitsunami wrote:The USDM GTS purists must hate the fact that they technically don't drive an AE86...

elaborate?

USDM GTS's carry an AE88 code.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 pm

Kitsunami wrote:
Jeonsah wrote:

elaborate?

The VIN is different, the chassis code (AE86) is the same, i don't know anybody who thinks that/cares about the VIN.

As for the question i say tinker with SR5s not GT-S, and i don't care about decals unless there's a 4AC under the hood.
#savethe86

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:54 am

zem wrote:
Kitsunami wrote:
Jeonsah wrote:
elaborate?

The VIN is different, the chassis code (AE86) is the same, i don't know anybody who thinks that/cares about the VIN.

As for the question i say tinker with SR5s not GT-S, and i don't care about decals unless there's a 4AC under the hood.

Had to add another quote lol. My thoughts exactly. I seriously do not understand why people believe that.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:16 am

Didn't quite mean to stir a pot here people, my bad. I equally don't understand why people think that they can tell others that they drive an SR5 even if said person went through all the trouble of fully converting one to a GTS. Purism, in my mind, is very shortsighted.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:22 am

If you spend the effort and truly upgrade an SR5 to a GTS spec, you should have the privilege of calling your 86 a GTS, I guess is what I was trying to convey.

Hell, it's easy (albeit expensive) to just go out and buy a running GTS. but I think I'm going to get more value out of a swap. It teaches you a lot more about the car, after all.

kiosk
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kiosk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:35 am

Kitsunami wrote:If you spend the effort and truly upgrade an SR5 to a GTS spec, you should have the privilege of calling your 86 a GTS, I guess is what I was trying to convey.

Hell, it's easy (albeit expensive) to just go out and buy a running GTS. but I think I'm going to get more value out of a swap. It teaches you a lot more about the car, after all.
but one thing you don't want to do is pull a Karate_Crimson and try selling it as a GT-S and not an SR-5 with a GT-S swap.

There is more value when you say you own a legit GT-S and it's an original GT-S. You'll be the envy of everyone here.
For the owner there's more value when you poured blood, sweat, tears, and money in swapping. We'll still be envious of you. Just not as much :lol: And you're right, the knowledge learned from swapping is invaluable. You learn so much about your car and how things work.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:48 am

kiosk wrote:
Kitsunami wrote:If you spend the effort and truly upgrade an SR5 to a GTS spec, you should have the privilege of calling your 86 a GTS, I guess is what I was trying to convey.

but one thing you don't want to do is pull a Karate_Crimson and try selling it as a GT-S and not an SR-5 with a GT-S swap.

There is more value when you say you own a legit GT-S and it's an original GT-S. You'll be the envy of everyone here.
For the owner there's more value when you poured blood, sweat, tears, and money in swapping. We'll still be envious of you. Just not as much :lol: And you're right, the knowledge learned from swapping is invaluable. You learn so much about your car and how things work.

Ahh yeah, I mean if you're talking about it from a resale point of view, it would be important to note it wasn't originally a GTS. In an alternate universe where I was to sell it, I wouldn't try to hide that fact. But now that makes me wonder what value I would place on a purchase if I had a choice between two [nearly] identical GTS AE86s, where one was originally an SR5 but fully converted.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 am

Well there is definitely more value in keeping an actual GTS stock nowadays. They are going for like 8k or something like that. If you want to modify your car in anyway I think the SR5 GTS swap is the best route. At least that is the route I took. I don't think I would want to do an SR5 GTS swap and keep it stock.

kiosk
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kiosk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:51 am

I would keep it as stock as possible for the sleeper look. Decals and all!

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 am

kiosk wrote:but one thing you don't want to do is pull a Karate_Crimson and try selling it as a GT-S and not an SR-5 with a GT-S swap.

Wow! Just read that whole ordeal. That's messed up. On a side note...where did he get that intake plenum on the 20v silvertop? I've not seen one with the intake opening toward the front on a rwd setup. Is it from a different car

Kitsunami wrote:USDM GTS's carry an AE88 code.

Watch this video....he does a pretty good job of explaining things about this mis-conception. https://youtu.be/F6s9l6a_f5Y

zem wrote:The VIN is different, the chassis code (AE86) is the same, i don't know anybody who thinks that/cares about the VIN.

Word.

aukword1 wrote:Well there is definitely more value in keeping an actual GTS stock nowadays. They are going for like 8k or something like that. If you want to modify your car in anyway I think the SR5 GTS swap is the best route. At least that is the route I took. I don't think I would want to do an SR5 GTS swap and keep it stock.

Excellent points given.

kiosk
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kiosk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:15 am

notnilc20 wrote:where did he get that intake plenum on the 20v silvertop? I've not seen one with the intake opening toward the front on a rwd setup. Is it from a different car.
He posted that it was an AE101 Airbox, modified for RWD application

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:02 am

People like to start with GTS chassis because theyre already setup for EFI and a 20v will work with minimal modification. To do a GTSR5 swap its no longer a 1k dollar ordeal. Rear ends alone can go for 1k. Its expensive to GTSR5, almost as expensive as finding a true GTS.

As far as decals, put what you like, as long as it matches what you run. If you got a GTSR5, run GTS decals. If you got a JDM aero setup, run JDM stickers. If your car is a Pop up light, of course you wont run LEVIN decals... etc etc.
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:46 am

ToeKnee805 wrote:People like to start with GTS chassis because theyre already setup for EFI and a 20v will work with minimal modification. To do a GTSR5 swap its no longer a 1k dollar ordeal. Rear ends alone can go for 1k. Its expensive to GTSR5, almost as expensive as finding a true GTS.

As far as decals, put what you like, as long as it matches what you run. If you got a GTSR5, run GTS decals. If you got a JDM aero setup, run JDM stickers. If your car is a Pop up light, of course you wont run LEVIN decals... etc etc.

That makes sense on the 20v conversion. About gtsr5 conversion costing about as much as a gts anyway.... I can definantly testify to that.

I totally agree with you on the decals. Thanks.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 am

Thankfully I did my GTSR5 swap many years ago when it was cheap to get a GTS coupe and swap it all over to a hatch. Let's face it though, the cost for parts and just these cars in general will just continue to rise. Imagine what an unmolested stock GTS will be worth in another 30 years lol.

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:54 pm

aukword1 wrote:Thankfully I did my GTSR5 swap many years ago when it was cheap to get a GTS coupe and swap it all over to a hatch. Let's face it though, the cost for parts and just these cars in general will just continue to rise. Imagine what an unmolested stock GTS will be worth in another 30 years lol.
i highly doubt there are any true unmolested USDM GTSs still in existence haha, you could still see some mostly unmolested Japanese and euro models...but yea, i do believe the 86 gts(especially hatchbacks)will reach high $ in the future, for instance, unmolested 240z's already reached the 25k+ mark and low vin ones are 40k+, unmolested Zs were at half that price less than 15yrs ago and the 86 has nearly tripled in price over the past 20yrs

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:04 am

Im pretty anal about the little details. I don't know if I could drive a SR5 conversion, even if it were 100% GTS spec. If someone does do a conversion, they gotta have the matching decals for sure. Although, it bothers me a little bit when I see GTS guys running Trueno bumpers and badges. I understand the jdm bumpers look better, but .... It doesn't match Lol

Then again, I'm the type of guy who enjoys even numbers, crisp dollar bills facing the same direction, and puts his wallet and keys in the same spot every day.

I guess if I were to make a track car and beat the crap out of it, or if I knew going into it I was going to gut it, swap the motor, etc. I wouldn't care if it were an SR5.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 am

All SR5's should be track cars lol

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:16 pm

aukword1 wrote:All SR5's should be track cars lol
haha good one, but sadly its other way around, most Gts models are far from being unmolested to say the least, many fall between the resto mod and drift missile category lol....i think there are far more unmolested, non abused, clean titled Sr5s out there that gts's, my first ae86 was a 84 sr5 with all the pros ive never had with any gts, had working A/C, working heat, working powersteering, uncracked dash, great interior and the greatest thing of all smog legal without assistance haha...never had a gts fulfill most of the things on that list....i think 90% of gts's fail smog and got a busted AC : /

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

nearing completion of my sr5gts and im debating int he future if should fo f22c or 20v :/ haha

just a money pit

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:45 pm

scalpel wrote:nearing completion of my sr5gts and im debating int he future if should fo f22c or 20v :/ haha

just a money pit

Money pit is the correct an accurate AKA for the ae86 haha. But yea bro if you upgrade to a more powerful powerplant you are just going to dwell deeper into the rabbit hole,i know by experience had a 13b bridgeport coupe...the 16v is perfectly balanced to the chassis anything more powerful you start to noticed how weak the unibody is the suspension geometry, rear end and breaking yes breaking need to be totally upgraded haha

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:33 pm

I do admit, I should have just rebuilt my current Beams swap when it was still stock motor. But I was dumb and got starry-eyed by the Beams swap and took a bite that I wasn't ready yet. Mainly with time. It sucks being an adult. My current daily 86 will likely either be rebuilt or 20v swapped though lol.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

Gino1X1
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gino1X1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 pm

I've said this on the 4AG message board and on the old forum: if it is an OEM AE86 GT-S it would be near sacrilegious to swap any other engine into it. To me, MY thoughts. But I mean, a 4AGZE or 20V or turbo 4AG I wouldn't mind.

The 4AC equipped AE86 may even be swapped with an LS, I don't think twice about it.

As for OEM stickers.... couldn't care less.