Extinction Of The AE86

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Re: Extinction Of The AE86

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:41 am

They are out there, used just have to search like everyweek.

What I do is I'll go on searchallofcraigslist, or I'll go to regular craigslist and just search in all major cities. I also expand my state search as far as possible.

You're right though, they are usually modified, but within the past 2 years I have come across at least 5 fully stock and unmolested GTSs. Even more if I include the Coupe'.

It depends on where you are in the states too. The west coast has a lot more JDM cars floating around in my experience. Lots of stock ones that older people bought new and never molested. What state are you in Zem?

You'd be surprised where 86s will pop up too..There was one in Kansas in the middle of nowhere that was completely stock. Just the way it works I guess lol.

Also the time of year can change what you find up for sale. When it gets really cold or really hot, I've found people want to sell the older cars and get something more reliable or with working A/C.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

cedu
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cedu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:52 pm

LOL at TORPARTS.

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm

CloudStrife wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
zem wrote: I don't know the exact numbers but from what iv'e heard there were only 4000 GT-S ever sent to the US.

I KNOW this is wrong.... we did this about 10 years ago.... I seem to remember.....

8% of production in 85, and 4% in 86. 87 says 13%, but that could include FX16....

Wait a sex. If I'm reading that right, then there are USDM diesel corollas?

I thought the U.S. didn't get any diesel motors from Japan..
yea we did, before C4AG first crashed, i would say around 2007, i remember seeing two diesel coupes sell on the for sale forum, i thought it was neat since its the only true loop hole around the smog deal lol...one was swapped and the other was a shell i had a good chance at buying the shell which was 1,200bux and was considered over priced then lol, i regret not buying it, the no smog would have paid for itself by now lol

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 pm

That's crazy bro, I had no idea we got diesel 86s.

Parts must be a bitch lol.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:59 pm

CloudStrife wrote:That's crazy bro, I had no idea we got diesel 86s.

Parts must be a bitch lol.
yea parts might be a pain if keeping it diesel, but i think it would be a good collector investment...but at this point in time seems like any hatch is worth saving and any non salvaged coupe is worth saving too...once we start seeing coupes sell for 10k+ we are in trouble cuz clean hatches are selling for 10k+ all day now...but we arent as bad as the uk, ireland and Australia prices are already over 20k

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 am

hmmmm, me thinks you guys have the wrong idea.........

Note there were fwd cars as part of the total. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the factory ever made CE86's... The diesel equipped cars would have been fwd.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:30 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:hmmmm, me thinks you guys have the wrong idea.........

Note there were fwd cars as part of the total. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the factory ever made CE86's... The diesel equipped cars would have been fwd.
you are probably correct, but i did see 2 coupes being sold as diesel titled over 10years ago, but non had a diesel in it to prove it, one was a shell and the other a 16v, but was always curious to see the title and vin if it was authentic.

Gino1X1
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gino1X1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:55 am

So, yeah.... I know that the rwd Starlet was available with the diesel option, the E Corolla chassis have been available with the 1C diesel and so THEORETICALLY the AE86 (wudda been a CE86 then) had that option. But then, only for JDM.

Then again, in the early nineties I read (past tense) in a digest that that option was set up also for the Euro market.

Theories theories theories. I never SAW one either but who's to say it wasn't a dealer installed option in those days in our beloved ae86. :geek:

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:08 pm

http://www.autolifers.com/limelight-ron ... armant-v8/
The transmission is a W56 Corolla DX Diesel box

so they must be out there somewhere

Gino1X1
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gino1X1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:42 am

I started looking around for street hachirokus on my island and found none. Only carcasses of pillaged and rusted out shells. But I did find streetable 1 and 2 jz (turbo) swapped ones for either drifting or quarter-mile action.

Yeah, such is life on islands in the Caribbean. Eventually everything metal will rust in piece(s). :o :|

And yes, talking about extinction............. :cry: :P

Gino1X1
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gino1X1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:35 am

Gino1X1 wrote:But I did find streetable 1 and 2 jz (turbo) swapped ones for either drifting or quarter-mile action.

:cry: :P

..... a local JZE86..... for.... driftkhana? Local as in on my island ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHMnnORXi8M