what would you pay for this SR5?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

what would you pay for this SR5?

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:06 pm

It's a 1985
hasn't been driven in 8 yrs.
interior needs to be "redone" according to seller. Interior pics not supplied
Does not run. But engine fires but doesn't stay running.
All original oem.
Some surface rust.

Thanks everyone.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: what would you pay for this SR5?

Postby zem » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:19 pm

need pics but i wouldn't pay over 2k or 1.5k if automatic, it also depends on if its a hatch or coupe.
#savethe86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Sorry won't let me attach pic says "board quota for attachments has already been met". It's a 5speed manual and hatchback

I'm new to researching the ae86's but what other differences are there between sr5 and gts besides engine and rear brakes? Thanks.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:14 pm

notnilc20 wrote:Sorry won't let me attach pic says "board quota for attachments has already been met". It's a 5speed manual and hatchback

I'm new to researching the ae86's but what other differences are there between sr5 and gts besides engine and rear brakes? Thanks.

to post pics you need to upload them on a photosharing site, "i use photobucket" then leave the link here. or if there's any existing pictures online like ebay or craigslist leave the link to that.
if its manual and a hatchback id go 2,000 at most. but that's hugely condition dependent.
there are many differences between the sr5 and gts, the other differences are in the interior, rear end, and bumpers mabe a few other small things im forgetting. whats good however is the chassis is identical so you can swap everything right over, the gts chassis isn't stronger or weaker in any way.
#savethe86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Ok here is a pic. He says the interior is pretty much shot. Definantly a project.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:14 pm

yea kinda grungy, but all original is defiantly a plus. be thankful it even has interior, most have been gutted. i like how its a rare color and still has the original wheels but i still wouldn't go over 2k.

what do you want from an 86? if you want something with nice comfy interior than id look for a different car, this car probably has all types of vegetation growing on the carpet and seats, not to mention its probably all faded and torn. you'll need to either have everything reupholsterd and painted or you'll need to buy used parts that'll be only moderately better, expensive, and hard to find.

itll also need tons of work if its been sitting that long. be sure to check under the spare tire, and frame rails for rust. but overall i think it looks like a fun project if you know what you're doing, just depends on if you want a track or street car. personally id like to see a car like this restored and only slightly restomodded. there's plenty of already setup cars that'll be more cost effective if you need something for the track.
#savethe86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks a lot for your time. I appreciate all the great advice you gave. I asked him about the pics of the interior but it seems he is not near the car to take pics or something because he just kinda said if i assumed the interior was shot would i still be interested? So i don't know. It's about 3-4 hours away and I don't want to drive over there just to find something beyond repair. Can you tell me also if there is a difference between a 1984 and 1985 sr-5? Thanks.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 pm

notnilc20 wrote:Thanks a lot for your time. I appreciate all the great advice you gave. I asked him about the pics of the interior but it seems he is not near the car to take pics or something because he just kinda said if i assumed the interior was shot would i still be interested? So i don't know. It's about 3-4 hours away and I don't want to drive over there just to find something beyond repair. Can you tell me also if there is a difference between a 1984 and 1985 sr-5? Thanks.

no differences in 84-85 sr5s if i recall correctly, both are zenkis "early models". what state are you in? i might know of a few for sale.
#savethe86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Ok thanks. I live in the Memphis, TN Area.

Caccomando
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Caccomando » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:47 am

notnilc20 wrote:Can you tell me also if there is a difference between a 1984 and 1985 sr-5? Thanks.

Hold up. Yes there are differences. In 1984 only the Sr5 was available in the United States. The GTS did not come until 1985. In 1984 the Sr5 was equipped with GTS seats and had some cool stuff going on like power mirrors and cruise control options. Now thats not to say that Sr5 seats might be in there, without pics who knows. Also in 1984 the Sr5s had two tone color schemes and had door guard trim. In 1985 that stuff was gone as the GTS was introduced.
(MAYBE some stealerships had people opt for better seats and other tid bits throughout the years on the SR5, who knows. I have yet to see any post 84 Sr5s with these amenities though.)

How sure is that guy that its a 85 and not an 84?

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:36 am

Caccomando wrote:
notnilc20 wrote:Can you tell me also if there is a difference between a 1984 and 1985 sr-5? Thanks.

Hold up. Yes there are differences. In 1984 only the Sr5 was available in the United States. The GTS did not come until 1985. In 1984 the Sr5 was equipped with GTS seats and had some cool stuff going on like power mirrors and cruise control options. Now thats not to say that Sr5 seats might be in there, without pics who knows. Also in 1984 the Sr5s had two tone color schemes and had door guard trim. In 1985 that stuff was gone as the GTS was introduced.
(MAYBE some stealerships had people opt for better seats and other tid bits throughout the years on the SR5, who knows. I have yet to see any post 84 Sr5s with these amenities though.)

Thanks for your reply. I was just curious as to the differences because i found another one in Florida. It's 12 hour drive for me but It has more pics and a lot of the interior is still there. Says it runs/drives. Plus it's $500 less than what the first giy was asking but this one's an 1984 model.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5358516745.html

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Caccomando wrote:

thanks for the info, didn't know that. i have seen some 84 sr5s particularly silver pandas that seem to resemble gts's, but i've also seem 86s like yellow hatches that just seem typical sr5. i just assumed it was people begining to gts swap. i wonder if there was a special package where you get the two tone and the gts parts... hmmm

notnilc20 wrote:Thanks for your reply. I was just curious as to the differences because i found another one in Florida. It's 12 hour drive for me but It has more pics and a lot of the interior is still there. Says it runs/drives. Plus it's $500 less than what the first giy was asking but this one's an 1984 model.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5358516745.html

both are completely different, ones all original and one was built from a shell. i personally like the first one better, but the second one runs and drives which is a huge plus. if i were to build a track car id pick the second by far, and the first would be if i wanted a daily/cruiser. both need carpet, and both need seats. so the interiors are actually probably close in terms of work. but that just speculation since we cant see the first one.
#savethe86

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Hard to say without seeing in person, amount of rust, if the interior is salvageable, engine running condition, etc. Honestly $300-800 seems like a good ballpark sight unseen. It's an SR5, way grungy, and probably doesn't run... Don't necessarily get caught up in the sale just because it's an ae86...

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:Hard to say without seeing in person, amount of rust, if the interior is salvageable, engine running condition, etc. Honestly $300-800 seems like a good ballpark sight unseen. It's an SR5, way grungy, and probably doesn't run... Don't necessarily get caught up in the sale just because it's an ae86...

those days are long gone, i cant even remember the last time i saw an ae86 for under 1k. it is a hatch so that adds thousands on the price alone. just the way it is now, the days of dirt cheap ae86 are over. but its not just ae86, look at the supra, skyline, nsx, all jdm cars are going up, actually all cars in general are going up. i remember seeing a countach for 50k in late 2013, now that same countach would go for 250k, panteras, porches, mopars etc. we as car enthusiast just need to accept value appreciation, and we can be thankful that our cars rise $250 a year not 25k.

2k is fair these days for a manual hatch.
#savethe86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the great info. The seller told me he will try to get some pics of the interior this weekend so hopefully i will be able to better determine if it is a project for me. Thanks again.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:43 pm

zem wrote:those days are long gone, i cant even remember the last time i saw an ae86 for under 1k. it is a hatch so that adds thousands on the price alone. just the way it is now, the days of dirt cheap ae86 are over. but its not just ae86, look at the supra, skyline, nsx, all jdm cars are going up, actually all cars in general are going up. i remember seeing a countach for 50k in late 2013, now that same countach would go for 250k, panteras, porches, mopars etc. we as car enthusiast just need to accept value appreciation, and we can be thankful that our cars rise $250 a year not 25k.

2k is fair these days for a manual hatch.

Hatch adds thousands!? Maybe to an fanboy... Based on that picture alone $2k is absolutely nuts! He could spend a fortune on top of that just to get it up to snuff, and it's just an sr5... IMO an overall good sr5 example might fetch $2-2.5k.

Perhaps the op could get some better pics showing the weak points so we can make a better guess. Rust is the primary concern, but there are others - unless the op plans on gutting the interior and doing an engine swap off the bat. In most cases one is better off waiting for a decent gts. I agree they are getting much tougher to find.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:06 pm

hatch's add thousands not to fanboys, but because fanboys, everyone wants that iconic tofu mobile. if he could get that first one for 2k scrub all the grime off, clean up the interior, and spend 1 k on a motor swap, then he'd have a nice redpanda for only around 3k. i don't see how that's not a good deal. i do see what you're saying there are lots of better cars for the price, but 95% of them are coupes and that really makes a difference to some people. believe it or not i used to dislike the hatchback, i passed on many on my search for a coupe but after i got my coupe i actually started to get the allure for a hatch. now with both i think i prefer the hatch's look more.
#savethe86

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I do agree that hatches can fetch more for obvious reasons, but a rough example doesn't automatically warrant thousands of extra dollars in value. Based on the pic alone I still can't imagine paying half what you think it's worth. Maybe this one's a diamond in the rough, but it's a long shot. Anything that just sits out in the elements like that for years (obviously it has) usually has rust - not just surface rust.

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Emailed that seller last week. "Supply and demand plus I don't have to sell it.". He had it listed same price about 7 months ago, guess it didn't sell.

It does not run and has been sitting for 8 years supposedly. I wonder how many of those years its been in the back yard, and not on pavement, let alone a garage. That car would be a money pit to make respectable again, and even more so for someone to GT-S swap it. Also wouldn't be surprised if some wildlife has made a home of it. All speculation on that part, but very likely if its been neglected.

I wouldn't go over $1500 on it, unless you have all the parts needed to make it a GTS and look respectable again, on hand. Could probably give more then, since its worth more swapped.
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:50 pm

Tidy up some info that was posted earlier:

84 SR-5s had the sport interior -option-, it was not standard. It was removed as an option in 85. Similarly, the GT-S interior was not standard in 87, it was an option, for GT-S'.

Based on sales brochures, the SR-5 could come in silver/black two tone for 84 only, and red/black two-tone 84-86.
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah here are some interior pics. Parts are there but some look moldy. What do you think?

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:40 pm

that's actually a fairly clean interior, a little scrubbing and vacuuming and it wouldn't even be bad.
#savethe86

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:36 pm

At least it's all there, but imo not good. Is the black stuff on the door panel vinyl mold? It makes me wonder about the soft materials like carpet, seats, etc. Radiators entombed in the back is interesting. How was the smell? What's the asking price?

You'll have to remove everything from the interior, clean it very thoroughly, and hope for the best. Even get rid of all firewall/floor matting and strip the sound deadening tar to see what you have to work with. Good luck!

FWIW: I cleaned one up that was pretty bad, and was probably never cleaned before (nowhere near as bad as what you posted). No mold. However, it was a Phoenix, AZ car and never sat. I gave away the front/rear seats because no amount of cleaning could get rid of the dank/BO smell. I spent a full day steam cleaning the carpet to get rid of 95% of the smell. (A rain storm brings it back temporarily since a little water leaks around the rear quarter windows.) Way after cleaning it I shipped the car across country to South Carolina which took a week, and it rained en route. It tooks weeks (and the fall season change) to get the dampness and dank smell out of the cabin.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Hey there. Thanks for the replies guys. The asking price is $2,500 and he says he's firm. If, and that's a big if, i decide to buy i plan on replacing all the upholstery including new carpet. My good friend of mine is an upholsterer and i get the serious hook up. Things i'm most concerned about is the wiring and rust. I haven't looked at the car yet but I might.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:54 pm

notnilc20 wrote:Hey there. Thanks for the replies guys. The asking price is $2,500 and he says he's firm. If, and that's a big if, i decide to buy i plan on replacing all the upholstery including new carpet. My good friend of mine is an upholsterer and i get the serious hook up. Things i'm most concerned about is the wiring and rust. I haven't looked at the car yet but I might.

if you google search this: ae86 site:craigslist.org :you'll be able to compare the condition of this car to every other on craigslist in america. that'll help you decide for yourself if you think its worth it, you might even find another car you like more.
#savethe86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:31 am

So just a little update on this. I made him an offer and he decided he was gonna hild out to try to get his asking price of $2,500. Anyway, moving on i found another car here.
https://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/5387389943.html

But he is wanting $4,000 for it. Good thing is it is where my parents live so that makes it convenient. However it is a sr5 with a gts engine looks like a blue top with mods. But he says there was scoring on cyl3 when he tried to start it up. Then he says the engine needs little work to be drivable again. However, $4,000 seems like a lot for an sr5 that doesn't run with a engine that i wouldn't know how to fix right off the bat. What can be done to fix the scoring? New sleeves and piston? What caused it? Etc. he says interior is all there and in good condition. No pics though. Seems if i was selling a car i would have pics of everything. What's with people not posting all pics of the car they are wanting to sell?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:13 pm

I would wait for another. $4k for a gtsr5 that doesn't run is crazy. It has a serious engine problem and has primer exterior... with bodywork (hopefully it's not bondo central). Also, it's a diy carb setup which isn't beginner friendly. (I hope you know an import carb expert.) $1500 at the very most (and even then I'd stay away). Sorry if that sounds harsh.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:I would wait for another. $4k for a gtsr5 that doesn't run is crazy. It has a serious engine problem and has primer exterior... with bodywork (hopefully it's not bondo central). Also, it's a diy carb setup which isn't beginner friendly. (I hope you know an import carb expert.) $1500 at the very most (and even then I'd stay away). Sorry if that sounds harsh.

No not harsh at all. I agree for the most part. To me the engine might be more headache than it's worth. May be easier to just buy another engine rather than putting the money into this one. Although it is nice and shiny hehe. So really what i'm looking at is a primered sr5 with engine problems but the interior is said to be in good condition. $4k is a bit high imho. Wonder if he'd sell the car without the engine? Hmmm.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:42 pm

^Worth a shot. When considering what to offer don't underestimate how much money you'll have to invest in a roller shell (or one with a serious engine problem).

He's probably hoping initial d fantasies, neon painted valve covers/stock cam gears/block, and cheap ebay header might get someone hook, line and sinker. Seems like he's looking for a sucker or doesn't really want to sell. Aside for the toast bottom end, those diy carb setups are a fickle mistress from my understanding. Even for a decent mechanic they're usually more than trouble than their worth. You actually want to be able to drive the car regularly, in reliable, consistent fashion right?

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Yeah i want it to become my daily driver. He says $2,800 for the car without motor. Seems like a lot but then again i dont know these cars very well.