AE86 carbureted drift problem!!!

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
omarlua86

AE86 carbureted drift problem!!!

Postby omarlua86 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:46 am

I'm not sure if it is the carb but every time I try to get sideways in this thing it begins to bog as if it's out of gas. What could possibly be the problem?
Anyone else have this same problem with the SR-5 86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Re: AE86 carbureted drift problem!!!

Postby Clouds » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 am

Probably just fuel starving. I think that most people who start drifting just switch to fuel cells.

That's about all I got. Someone will probably be here soon with a DIY solution.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

omarlua86

Postby omarlua86 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:14 pm

It stays like that for a while though, about 40 minutes

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 am

Theory (May or may not work):
Try drifting solely in one direction for a little while, then try the other direction. If it bogs down in both directions, I have no idea. If it bogs down in one direction, but not the other, then research what components are on the side pointing to where you are countersteering. I say to look on the side pointing where you are countersteering because the fuel would slide over to the other side, due to inertia.

Also, try posting this in Tech Talk. More veterans read Tech Talk than Fun Talk, so you are more likely to get help. Good luck.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

MtLemmon86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby MtLemmon86 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:52 am

Is it the stock carb?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:11 pm

So you are saying that it bogs for 40 min after you try to get sideways?
Does it do it every time or just sometimes?
Is it always the same amount of time?

omarlua86

Postby omarlua86 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:38 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:So you are saying that it bogs for 40 min after you try to get sideways?

It does it around the same time every time but that's if I'm drifting in only one direction or doing donuts in one direction.

I go and drift at this one spot and I drift it to the left, then come back and drift it to the right and it doesn't bog.

omarlua86

Postby omarlua86 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:40 am

MtLemmon86 wrote:Is it the stock carb?

Yeah it was replaced with the same type of carb but the guy said that he put bigger primaries to keep it from starving at high RPMs

omarlua86

Postby omarlua86 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:41 am

Clouds wrote:Theory (May or may not work):
Try drifting solely in one direction for a little while, then try the other direction. If it bogs down in both directions, I have no idea. If it bogs down in one direction, but not the other, then research what components are on the side pointing to where you are countersteering. I say to look on the side pointing where you are countersteering because the fuel would slide over to the other side, due to inertia.

Also, try posting this in Tech Talk. More veterans read Tech Talk than Fun Talk, so you are more likely to get help. Good luck.

Yeah that's what I tried and it doesn't bog out. But I'll try posting it on tech talk

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm

omarlua86 wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:So you are saying that it bogs for 40 min after you try to get sideways?

It does it around the same time every time but that's if I'm drifting in only one direction or doing donuts in one direction.

I go and drift at this one spot and I drift it to the left, then come back and drift it to the right and it doesn't bog.

Right but I wanted clarification on how long the bogging lasts.
If it continues to bog afterward it could be something like a sticking float or needle. If it goes away as soon as you stop turning then it could be something like misadjusted floats or something.

omarlua86

Postby omarlua86 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:35 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
omarlua86 wrote:

Right but I wanted clarification on how long the bogging lasts.
If it continues to bog afterward it could be something like a sticking float or needle. If it goes away as soon as you stop turning then it could be something like misadjusted floats or something.

It's stays bogging for about 30-40 minutes before it runs normal again. And yeah this other guy told me that it could be a sticking float.