1st time AE86 owner

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
truemizou
Club4AG Regular

1st time AE86 owner

Postby truemizou » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:58 pm

So Against better judgement I picked up a 85' AE86 GT-S & not knowing what I'm in for (aside from owning a money pit of a car) I'm asking for some of you experienced owners for some suggestions/advice about your car(s) & what I should do with mine.

I'm new to the 4ag forums & a total newb to car maintenance/tuning scene, so I understand the urge to bash on the newer guys (I don't blame those who do either)

Here she is, she's a bit rusty & it's one of my main concerns...

https://goo.gl/photos/gMfDsxL5oCAGb1619

And a side note, how do you put the actual image on the post? I'm using google+ photos

Anything you guys have to say will be helpful, thanks for reading all the way through!
Last edited by truemizou on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Re: 1st time AE86 owner, how about you?

Postby s3cf » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:48 am

congrats on your purchase.
I would address the body/rust issue 1st before it gets worse, to me a good body/platform is the most important foundation.
However if you plan to turn it into a track/drift mobile then probably aesthetic isn't your priority.

zokustyle
Club4AG Regular

Postby zokustyle » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:12 pm

If that dash is clean and brown like it looks and you're looking to go for black, I'll take it off your hands!

truemizou
Club4AG Regular

Postby truemizou » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:49 pm

s3cf wrote:congrats on your purchase.
I would address the body/rust issue 1st before it gets worse, to me a good body/platform is the most important foundation.
However if you plan to turn it into a track/drift mobile then probably aesthetic isn't your priority.

Thanks, I'm thinking that as well. I plan to daily it until I get the funds to start a rebuild on the stock 4ag.

truemizou
Club4AG Regular

Postby truemizou » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:51 pm

zokustyle wrote:If that dash is clean and brown like it looks and you're looking to go for black, I'll take it off your hands!

Sorry brother, but my dash is all kinds of cracked.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:45 pm

Nice find. If you're truly wanting to hold onto the car for a while then I also think that rust repair should be your first priority. By repair I mean cutting the rust out completely and welding in new metal. ;)
It will be a lot of work, but well worth it in the end when you have a nice sturdy frame to build onto. Good luck!

truemizou wrote:And a side note, how do you put the actual image on the post? I'm using google+ photos

You have to upload the images to a hosting service like Imgur, then paste the direct links into [img] tags within your post.

For example:

Code: Select all

[img]http://someimagewebsite.com/image1.jpg[/img]

truemizou
Club4AG Regular

Postby truemizou » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Grant wrote:Nice find. If you're truly wanting to hold onto the car for a while then I also think that rust repair should be your first priority. By repair I mean cutting the rust out completely and welding in new metal. ;)
It will be a lot of work, but well worth it in the end when you have a nice sturdy frame to build onto. Good luck!

truemizou wrote:And a side note, how do you put the actual image on the post? I'm using google+ photos

You have to upload the images to a hosting service like Imgur, then paste the direct links into [img] tags within your post.

For example:

Code: Select all

[img]http://someimagewebsite.com/image1.jpg[/img]

Thanks mane! Living in not-so-sunny norcal, it does put it at the top of the priority list since i expect a rainy winter. Cutting off the rust tumor and replacing with new metal is what i was looking into...unfortunatly i'm a broke @** MF so it'll have to sit a while. Definitely DO NOT wanna bondo it, heard stories of it rusting again and bondo falling out..

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Welcome. I was wondering who picked up that car. If you're not on the NorCal FB group, send me a message and i'll go through the logistics to add you.

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:58 am

Broke and ae86 do no mix :P

But in all seriousness, congrats on your purchase and with time and dedication, it will become what you want it to be.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)