New Toyota Guy Here

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Expire
Club4AG Regular

New Toyota Guy Here

Postby Expire » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Hey so, I'm gonna spare you the details, but I'm a 20 year old just out of college who has fallen into depression. My parents told me I should get a hobby, and I think I want to restore a car. I already have an 08 eclipse that I have done a few things to, but anyways, I know little to nothing about the trim levels of Toyota so I need some of your guy's help picking out the car I want to do.

I am really fond of the 1980 sedan Corollas so I would like to stay in that year, there is a '80 tercel for sale an hour from me, what's the difference between a tercel and corolla? Realistically, is there a chance of finding one of these body styles relatively cheap? I don't mind doing some work such as paint or body. What are some other box-ier Toyotas that I should look into? What should I be expecting to pay if the condition is fair with medium miles?

I guess I'll update this as I have more questions..

Sorry this is really vague and all but thanks for any help I get. :)

tiprock
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: New Toyota Guy Here

Postby tiprock » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 pm

as far as trim level, who cares as long as the interior doesn't look or smell like a wild animal has been living inside the car.
as far as going prices, peep craigslist.
as far as your depression, get a job.
zenki levin hatch
kouki trueno coupe

Expire
Club4AG Regular

Postby Expire » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:57 pm

tiprock wrote:as far as trim level, who cares as long as the interior doesn't look or smell like a wild animal has been living inside the car.
as far as going prices, peep craigslist.
as far as your depression, get a job.

I really just want to find a 1980 sedan/4door Corolla, not worried about trim level as much. Our craigslist (PA) is trash, there is nothing. I found a 1980 tercel, but not sure if I like the hatch as much. I have a job, how else do you think I was going to afford this? lol

Glock30
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Glock30 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:17 pm

A Tercel is a FWD econobox that is probably no fun to drive. A 1980 Corolla would be RWD econobox and more fun to drive.
1984 Toyota Corolla Sport SR5
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
1968 Ford F250
Lots of 4AC info here: http://4ac-powered.forumotion.com/

Expire
Club4AG Regular

Postby Expire » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Glock30 wrote:A Tercel is a FWD econobox that is probably no fun to drive. A 1980 Corolla would be RWD econobox and more fun to drive.

I see, when I searched earlier that is all I could find, but I did find a few 80 corolla listings for cheap. I kind of want one with bad paint, but good everything else, just so I can sand and repaint it.

OG UTOTMO
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby OG UTOTMO » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:21 am

Glock30 wrote:A Tercel is a FWD econobox that is probably no fun to drive. A 1980 Corolla would be RWD econobox and more fun to drive.

Glock30 you did not read the yr of the tercel he found? Welcome to toyota and yr tercel you found is starlet and fyi fwd tercels came out in 86-up so rwd starlet/tercel is 1980-85... Good luck with your search...

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:52 am

I know you said you like sedans, but the Celicas from the early 80s are pretty nice as well.

Good luck finding your car. Search craigslist often, but don't be too hasty to jump on something.

Expire
Club4AG Regular

Postby Expire » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:28 am

Grant wrote:I know you said you like sedans, but the Celicas from the early 80s are pretty nice as well.

Good luck finding your car. Search craigslist often, but don't be too hasty to jump on something.

Thanks man, I'm not as big of a fan as the celicas because I'm not really into the whole 'muscle' type car look. I currently drive an 08 eclipse, which is the farthest from muscle haha. I really like the fact the corollas look like the E30 BMWs, that's why I like their body style.

As far as finding one, I couldn't find any all night, but checked this morning and found a few, I'd be willing to drive, I know one of the ones I saw was for sale on here. I'm hoping I can just find one that needs some paint, maybe a little body work, just something to keep me busy.

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Postby miswuevos » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Well I agree that most old toyotas that are not as fun unless they are rwd hahah :) As for that 4 door corolla, well keep an eye out on the streets, ususally old people drive them, offer them some cash and you might come up on a good deal.

As far as depression, Is it because you got out of college? or because you cannot find a hobby? It doesnt have to be a car necessarly, you can try a sport, the gym, a punching bag, or some charitable activties..

Expire
Club4AG Regular

Postby Expire » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:40 pm

miswuevos wrote:Well I agree that most old toyotas that are not as fun unless they are rwd hahah :) As for that 4 door corolla, well keep an eye out on the streets, ususally old people drive them, offer them some cash and you might come up on a good deal.

As far as depression, Is it because you got out of college? or because you cannot find a hobby? It doesnt have to be a car necessarly, you can try a sport, the gym, a punching bag, or some charitable activties..

It's a whole slew of things, it's not just due to college. The reason I chose restoring was because I enjoyed modding my current eclipse, and although I really wanted an NA Miata, I saw a pic of a 1980 corolla on tumblr and fell in love haha. To put it simply I have a job and am pretty busy all day, just some things make me really sad haha.

Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Depression? Not sure restoring a car by getting advice from Internet is the best solution... Automobile restoration requires lots of patience, large resources of talented people, technicians and craftsmen, and it takes creativity and endurance. It's a huge undertaking for those who really don't have mental issues. Not sure if starting such a project will help or make things worse... People with depression can't relate and interact with people well, and that could be a problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

Expire
Club4AG Regular

Postby Expire » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Moto-P wrote:Depression? Not sure restoring a car by getting advice from Internet is the best solution... Automobile restoration requires lots of patience, large resources of talented people, technicians and craftsmen, and it takes creativity and endurance. It's a huge undertaking for those who really don't have mental issues. Not sure if starting such a project will help or make things worse... People with depression can't relate and interact with people well, and that could be a problem...

I'm looking to find one that just needs body restored, I used to work in a auto paint shop so my garage at my parent's house is converted into a spraybooth. I just need something that will make me happy and keep me busy.

Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Maybe better yet, offer somebody else who might be looking for body and paint work. And perform that with him or for him for a small fee, and make friends that way. That way you don't need to go out of your way to find a car to buy, and a customer can perhaps help you look for more customers, and can become part time work you might enjoy?

Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:38 pm

If you were originally looking at an NA Miata, I hate to say it, but you're more likely to find one in good shape than any 80's Toyota. These things have been run into the ground, and you'll find a lot of problems and headaches along the way.

As an example, I paid entirely too much money for my AE86, because I bought it from a shop which had a reputation in the community. When I started into it I found many, many, many, many things wrong with it. From wiring (I hate wiring). To the rear end having a non LSD axle shaft on one side.
And I (supposedly) found a good one.

Your chances may be better or worse, depending on the car.

Rather than a Tercel, you'd want a Starlet. They're FR.

But an NA Miata would not be a bad choice.
Pursuing the ideal

Expire
Club4AG Regular

Postby Expire » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:04 pm

burdickjp wrote:If you were originally looking at an NA Miata, I hate to say it, but you're more likely to find one in good shape than any 80's Toyota. These things have been run into the ground, and you'll find a lot of problems and headaches along the way.

As an example, I paid entirely too much money for my AE86, because I bought it from a shop which had a reputation in the community. When I started into it I found many, many, many, many things wrong with it. From wiring (I hate wiring). To the rear end having a non LSD axle shaft on one side.
And I (supposedly) found a good one.

Your chances may be better or worse, depending on the car.

Rather than a Tercel, you'd want a Starlet. They're FR.

But an NA Miata would not be a bad choice.

Yeah man, I don't plan on just jumping on one, eventually I'm gonna compile a bunch and get a bunch of opinions on which ones seem more trustworthy. I'm open to other cars, I really wouldn't mind finding an older e30, but euros can be such a pain. I found 'nice' one in new york, but there is really no description about it, I am hoping to possibly buy one from a user on here because I can at least see some of the past through build threads and such.