Question for the CA guys

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
kobuta86

Question for the CA guys

Postby kobuta86 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:43 pm

So, I've been following this site for over a decade, and I've always seen Cali as somewhat like the mecca for imports, JDM swaps, RHD cars, etc. I'll be moving to San Diego next month and I have a few questions. Are most of you guys with heavily modded cars, jdm swaps, etc able to daily drive them or are they more just track only/show cars? I daily a 1JZ SC300 here in TX and have a project 86 im building, neither of which would be CA smog compliant; you can basically strap a rocket engine to your car and pass TX emmissions lol. Now, im not asking who hooks you up with smog refs, for obvious reasons, but im just trying to gauge how much of a hassle it is to find those loopholes? Is it really that easy to slip through with a non compliant car, because it seems like they're everywhere out there?

Any advice would be awesome!

Ghost85
Club4AG Regular

Re: Question for the CA guys

Postby Ghost85 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:51 pm

anybody out here who has such a swap is either paying someone off, or is taking the time to swap back to something that can pass smog. I've not seen too many BAR-ed Corollas out here, but I'm sure they're there. I'd say if you want to run with an "illegitimate" swap, don't get caught driving like a jackass, or give cops any reason to suspect something is up. Just know that you pay the consequences. I can't vouch for ever having a swap that would put me into that category though, but I've had friends who got older and got tired of the whole scheme. They eventually just brought theirs back to a standard or slightly worked over 4AG. I prefer to do the same. Is all this worth the hassle? Not for me, but I'm sure there are those that disagree. Either way you go, good luck with the Corolla.
4AG ROLA

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Kobuta, being perfectly frank...

1. California cops know what to look for. So when they tell you to pop the hood because they pulled you over driving like a moron, they are going to know what to look for right away, and if its illegal your done.
2. California cops have a fart cannon detector. Drive like an idiot and be loud, they will make your life hell.
3. Like Ghost said, bribes. Don't get caught in the wrong place offering them either.
4. If its smog legal, it sucks usually.
5. If it is smog legal and it rocks, it's only really ok, and it has to have a CARB sticker for it.
6. There is a reason that hellaflush is in. Suspension mods made that p***s touching crap like that come into existence, since they are fully legal.
7. Really want JDM crap? Talk to the Canadians. No seriously, Canadians. They have it.

To be totally honest, California is a crappy state to be a sports compact fan in. That is why I will NEVER go back to that state. EVER. Washington here I come!

kobuta86

Postby kobuta86 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Right on, that's kind of what I suspected. I guess it just always appeared like all the really badass cars from magazines, internet, etc came from California? I know the CHP out there are well trained in what to look for, here in TX they all think my intercooler is just a bulky radiator lol. I guess the best option is just to go pre-75 or go through a lot to get something BAR'd; oh well, looks like the 86 will be a garage ornament...I planned on selling the SC before I move anyhow haha.

Thanks for the input guys!

Ava92
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Ava92 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 am

redroku87 wrote:7. Really want JDM crap? Talk to the Canadians. No seriously, Canadians. They have it.

Yea everything over 15 years is legal here, there are now tons of R34 skylines and s15's running around where i live

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:59 am

Ava92 wrote:
redroku87 wrote:7. Really want JDM crap? Talk to the Canadians. No seriously, Canadians. They have it.

Yea everything over 15 years is legal here, there are now tons of R34 skylines and s15's running around where i live

I hate you all.
But not really. Practically speaking a Skyline is a crap idea. I put a serious amount of thought into buying an R32 and it boils down to this:

What if it broke?

Good luck with parts, finding people that knew what the hell they were doing if I could not fix it.
I think that if I bought anything with the steering wheel on the wrong (right) side it would be something that was sold in the US, mainly for ease of tracking down parts.

DrAE86Toreno
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby DrAE86Toreno » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

I just got stationed here in SD and everyone is pretty much on point on what they said about California . I'm jaut glad I have out of state historic plates and is military or else my carbed 4AG would get hassled

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm

If you drive a swapped car on weekends and such and have a good daily driver, it really isnt a big issue unless you get stopped and cited. But if it is your daily that you are referring to, I would stop that right away in CA. I would not risk daily driving a swapped car... just increased your odds of getting sent to the ref.

I have had swapped cars as fun weekend cars for a good part of 15 years now and never have I been cited or pulled over for it. Just drive sensible, and if you want to have some fun, just make sure you know your surroundings.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

knockoutcold
Club4AG Regular

Postby knockoutcold » Thu May 08, 2014 12:23 am

Want to go broke?
Don't like guns?
Love cops?
Like pot?
Hippies?
Want a fast track to developing cancer?

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA!
a bimmer driver once told me that my 4ag looked like a loaf of bread.