Corolla/Corsa Electric Power Steering Column

SuperDougy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Corolla/Corsa Electric Power Steering Column

Postby SuperDougy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am

Here is my Corolla/Corsa electric power steering column after it was finished. The first pic sucks since it was with a phone. The rest are the column installed. From the hub to the tilt is Corolla. From there to the spline is a Vaxhaull Corsa C electric power steering column. The upper part of the u-joint is Corsa and the lower part is Corolla which attaches to the manual rack with a Quaife QSR quick steering rack and pinion. Most of the two columns were disassembled and put together. It was crazy how close most of the tolerances were between the two different columns. Most of the inner shaft is Corsa except the the Corolla spline that was welded on so It would accept the Toyota steering wheel. It has a control module to adjust the weight of the steering from one finger parallel parking to pull out the big guns no assist track days.

Finished Corolla/Corsa electric steering column.

The electric motor makes for a tight fit. The vent housing under the column had to be modified with a hammer.

The Corolla ignition, signal arm and trim all keep the interior looking OEM.

The Corsa spline that slides into the Corsa u-joint

Supra intermediate shaft leading up to the modified Corsa u-joint.

My Corolla/Corsa electric power steering column turned out really nice. I can use the OEM steering wheel, column cover and signal plus a Supra intermediate shaft on the opposite end. There's no draw on the engine and I can still run a manual quick rack. I have not track tested it to see how it holds up but a lot of guys use this Corsa columna for rally. All in all it's the second best mod in my Corolla, f22 still takes first.
85 Levin GTS K24
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=709

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Corolla/Corsa Electric Power Steering Column

Postby Gabriel82 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 am

How did this turn out?

SuperDougy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SuperDougy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:23 pm

It's really nice. The dial is set for some assist when I'm driving around town but if I need to park I turn it all the way up and long drives on the highway I shut it off completely. Once my new engine is in I would like to test it at a track to see how it feels.
85 Levin GTS K24
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=709

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gabriel82 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 am

Wait the response is adjustable? I there like a center reset so that the motor knows where full lock left/right and true center is? Think any issues will pop up when you align the car? A+ credit for creativity on this on chief... where did you source the electric motor?

SuperDougy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SuperDougy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm

The motor kicks in when the steering is turned and shuts off when it stops. When you hit full lock the motor will stop assisting until you start to turn the wheel again so there is no need to adjust it. My only concern is how it will handle the constant turning on a track. The Corsa electric column is from Ireland where they use it often for rally cars.
85 Levin GTS K24
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=709

SuperDougy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SuperDougy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 pm

typexd wrote:First off, I tip my hat to you sir! Awesome build. I have been looking into the powersteering setup you have and I am curious what year Vauxhall Corsa did your rack come out of? Just curious because I'm stationed in Germany now and access to Vauxhalls are insane. Also, which model Corsa since they go from A, B, C...etc?

Thanks! I believe It's the C. Here is the company that makes the control box for it. http://www.rallywiz.com/Shop/index.php? ... y&cat_id=2
Their site has some good info if you dig around.
85 Levin GTS K24
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=709

Stephen
Club4AG Regular

Postby Stephen » Fri May 03, 2013 8:22 am

I have this fitted to my ae86, using a quaife kick rack with it. I've a dial for adjusting the amount of assistance.
I've done 2 track days and I turned the assistance to minimal, worked great. I'm in Ireland and as mentioned it's popular with the rally guys here. Actually most of them use it with a speed sensor on one of their wheels, thus going faster reduces the assist.
Have a look on ae86irl, a guy on their called leadfoot fitted mine.

SuperDougy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SuperDougy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:12 am

Stephen wrote:I have this fitted to my ae86, using a quaife kick rack with it. I've a dial for adjusting the amount of assistance.
I've done 2 track days and I turned the assistance to minimal, worked great. I'm in Ireland and as mentioned it's popular with the rally guys here. Actually most of them use it with a speed sensor on one of their wheels, thus going faster reduces the assist.
Have a look on ae86irl, a guy on their called leadfoot fitted mine.

It's nice to know that this should work out okay for track use. I have another one I'm going to fit into my B18 AWD powered 1961 Mini. But with the Mini I'll just need to make mounting brackets. It would be nice to find an EPS in the states that would work as well as the Corsa EPS.
85 Levin GTS K24
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=709