ARP Head Studs for 4AGE 16V info

AZNWOKZ
Club4AG Enthusiast

ARP Head Studs for 4AGE 16V info

Postby AZNWOKZ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Someone from our Club4AG Facebook Group Page requested the info about the ARP head stud. :?: Even thought this dude in/lives Japan ( which tickles my humor :lol: ).
Well here are the info regarding the Dizzy hitting the head studs. I did my rebuild using ARP head studs. I hope you do what I did. :ugeek:

Shaving the dizzy with the least amount of metal taken off! Like shown in the pics I did.
The reason why I shave off the dizzy because of the risk factor of the ARP Head studs "experience more stress" than the dizzy.

Plus you would want to re torque your head studs later on during break-in. :!:

I assume you guys correctly install your ARP head studs to the TEEEEEEEEEEEE so that all the head studs are evenly installed to EVEN level.
CLEAN THOSE THREADS HOLES LIKE A MADE MAN ON THE 4AGE ENGINE BLOCK! :twisted:

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Re: ARP Head Studs for 4AGE 16V info

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 pm

I noticed the smallport dizzy has a longer end piece. Could I just cut off a small section, then grind down the rounded bit like shown above?

And on a related note, how do you remove the smallport dizzy's gear to change out the bearing & seals? There's no pin going through the smallport one.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

anthony55901
Club4AG Regular

Postby anthony55901 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:46 am

i still havnt had a chance to call arp concerning this issue, hopefully i can get my lazy ass out of bed early enough tomorrow. my distributor is from a large port. you should have a roll pin in both. ill attach diagrams below, the small port is the first pic and the second is the large port.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Would it make a difference if my smallport distributor came out of a Geo Prizm GSi instead of a Corolla GT-S? There is definitely no pin in my dizzy.

I suppose, since I'm going standalone, that I could just use a bigport dizzy instead. But finding one with decent, uncracked wires... :|

Here's a pic of the Geo Prizm smallport dizzy:

Unrelated side question. Is it a terrible idea to completely disassemble a dizzy? As in removing the stuff inside that says "don't remove" in bold letters?

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Davegt27 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:39 pm

I also Used ARP head studs
I took some white out and painted the end of the dist. so I could see just where the interference was

Davegt27 Code One Racing

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Rogue-AE95 wrote:Unrelated side question. Is it a terrible idea to completely disassemble a dizzy? As in removing the stuff inside that says "don't remove" in bold letters?

Yea it might be. But to swap internals over, hey who hasnt? I think theres a proceedure to set the pickup coil projection (or signal generator?dangit..correct me if I'm wrong) to the signal rotor,which is in the RM so I'd look that up first

Don't you hate it when you see "don't remove, don't look, don't open till xmas" ...the temptation is unbearable
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

anthony55901
Club4AG Regular

Postby anthony55901 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:53 am

just got off the phone with ARP, the technician stated there will be no problem removing the required material off the top of the stud using a cut off wheel using 2 nuts and run them down cut off the required material then remove the nuts chasing the threads. they give this recommendation to ford and chevy guys also. they attribute this to inconsistencies in the block and/or head. i think i will go with this approach versus grinding the shaft and possibly messing up the rotating mass of the distributor.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 am

anthony55901 wrote:...possibly messing up the rotating mass of the distributor.

Not a chance in hell!

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:08 pm

KonaTrueno723 wrote:
Rogue-AE95 wrote:Unrelated side question. Is it a terrible idea to completely disassemble a dizzy? As in removing the stuff inside that says "don't remove" in bold letters?

Yea it might be. But to swap internals over, hey who hasnt? I think theres a proceedure to set the pickup coil projection (or signal generator?dangit..correct me if I'm wrong) to the signal rotor,which is in the RM so I'd look that up first

Don't you hate it when you see "don't remove, don't look, don't open till xmas" ...the temptation is unbearable

OK, thanks. I had removed all the internals from one of my bigport dizzies, because it was going to become an adapter to mount a Honda dizzy (using a chipped Honda ECU as poor man's EMS). Now I'm thinking about rebuilding it (new bearings etc) for use on my 4A-GTE build, and maybe even powdercoat the housing before doing so. Plus it has the removable bigport gear on the end, so I could maybe swap the smallport dizzy internals into it...