AE86 short stroke conversion

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

AE86 short stroke conversion

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Taking my oem shock housings and converting them to a short stroke suspension. Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/gFGSgNFI-cQ
Ps- forgot to mention in the video that the reason I didn't show me cutting the oem spring perches off is because I had to do it in a very dodgy way. Basically, whilst standing up I used my feet to hold the spindle part steady and with the tube facing upward....then I used my angle grinder with the cutting disc and cut the perch off....yeah....the disc was more close to my legs than I liked, but it had to get done and it wasn't too bad, it just looked more dangerous than it really was. So I decided to cut it from the video. Good luck.

Part numbers and descriptions:
Kyb agx shocks - 765015 (DO NOT USE 765016 if you cut 40mm out, it will be too long for the tubes)
T3 weld on coilover kit
1 3/4" washers from hardware store
T3 standard gland nuts for ae86

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE86 short stroke conversion

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:07 am

Great job man, we now have a full engrish video on short-stroke conversion lol.

Any reason why you didn't get the needle bearing high-hats?
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:13 am

CloudStrife wrote:Great job man, we now have a full engrish video on short-stroke conversion lol.

Any reason why you didn't get the needle bearing high-hats?

Thanks man.....I just used the ones that were supplied in the weld on kit. I should've asked if I could pay extra for the upgrade....I just didn't think about it since it's not offered on the website.....oh well.....I'll try these out and if I need to I'll get the bearing high hats. Glad you enjoyed.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:32 am

Yeah no problem man, just mentioned it because with my Cusco camber plates they would bind when turning steering. I think you have T3 plates so you should be good to go..

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Yeah no problem man, just mentioned it because with my Cusco camber plates they would bind when turning steering. I think you have T3 plates so you should be good to go..

No, I have Tein plates....hopefully it'll be all good. Just waiting on some brake parts right now or i'd test it out for sure.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Weird bro,, are Tein plates red now?? lol.

You can test it out now if you want, as long as your steering is all connected to the spindle. If you turn it left or right and the pillow ball nut (middle with sleeve) loosens/tightens and it has been torques all the way... THen you'll have an issue

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Weird bro,, are Tein plates red now?? lol.

You can test it out now if you want, as long as your steering is all connected to the spindle. If you turn it left or right and the pillow ball nut (middle with sleeve) loosens/tightens and it has been torques all the way... THen you'll have an issue

They look gold to me....haha.???? well, I went out and turned the steering wheel like you said and indeed the top nuts were turning. But there is no weight on the suspension yet as I have it up on jackstands so wouldn't it turn anyway because as I turn the steering wheel the assembly will rotate a little? Sorry, I never was great at suspension so i'm having a hard time trying to picture how those nuts wont turn even if I have upper hats with bearings?

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:25 pm

It's ok, you have to torque those nuts with an impact or have the proper SST. Since if you don't, and try by hand, it will free spin and never tighten down..

Mine still turn with the bearing hats, but I also have no weight on it and nuts not torqued. But they shouldn't bind when I do because remember the highat makes contact with the bottom of the camber plate. Even if you aren't sitting on it now due to no weight/coilovers set low; you'll bind when you compress the springs going over bumps, and the steering will be stiff for a second..

Not sure if that makes sense

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Oh I see....yeah....I think I can picture it in my head. I'll see if it's that big of a deal and if so, I'll spring for the bearing high hats.