*Sound Deadening Removal*New to club4ag and ae86 community!

graycob
Club4AG Regular

*Sound Deadening Removal*New to club4ag and ae86 community!

Postby graycob » Thu May 28, 2015 8:58 am

I just want to start off by saying that I love this forum and the community behind it. I have owned an s13 for a while, but I never joined nicoclub or zilvia because the amount of trolls and sarcasm I see on their boards. The way that you 86 owners always have eachother's backs is what drew me to this club!
So here is the story... about 2 weeks ago I stumbled upon an ae86 rolling shell for 200 dollars while looking for s13 parts on craigslist. A couple days later, my buddy and I put some change together and now this thing is sitting on my driveway just begging for a motor!

Currently we are giving it a facelift before we just toss in a new blacktop or silvertop. We started with the already gutted interior.

Materials:
30 lbs dry ice
6 x 32 oz 91% rubbing alcohol
Some putty spatula's
A good set of gloves

For detail work:
Chisel (or flathead)
Hammer
sandpaper
Time
Paint

The first step was dry icing the sound deadening. (Use 64 oz rubbing alc for every 10 lbs dry ice for best concistency.)

Crush the dry ice until it is in very small bits in an old bucket and pour the rubbing alcohol in. Make sure you get a thick pasty substance and work quickly

*Note: crushing the dry ice THOROUGHLY before putting in the rubbing alcohol will save time, effort, and you might use less material as a result. We missed this step.

Spread thick paste across the sound deadening, let sit for 30 seconds and listen to the cracking.

As soon as you stop hearing popping sounds, move the existing paste to the next piece of sound deadening and apply more to that one as needed

Repeat until whole car is done

Then begin lifting pieces, they WILL come off in HUGE sheets. I was totally impressed with this method. I have never had a youtube method of doing things work so painlessly.

Last, some areas may be more stubborn than others, especially if they are rotted out.

Use leftover dry ice/ alcohol to isolate the areas and chip away with a chisel.

And now you are at bare metal, the bones of your 86!

We are now in the process of sanding it all down in prep for paint. We are thinking about shaving some existing screw holes and things with bondo, but are unsure. What do you guys think?

P.s. I will be posting pictures of the whole process this afternoon if anyone actually reads this post. It may not be the best but I just wanted to try and make my first one because this is a big project for us and im sure some other newbie may be able to learn from out experiences along the way!
Thanks for reading, feedback welcome!

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: New to club4ag and the ae86 community!

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri May 29, 2015 7:45 am

Welcome...... :D
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

hachipirate
Club4AG Regular

Postby hachipirate » Fri May 29, 2015 8:29 am

Nice work!

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 am

graycob wrote:So here is the story... about 2 weeks ago I stumbled upon an ae86 rolling shell for 200 dollars while looking for s13 parts on craigslist.

We are thinking about shaving some existing screw holes and things with bondo, but are unsure. What do you guys think?

Welcome to the forum graycob! :)

You're in the Bay Area, right? I think I recall seeing this one on craigslist. Glad to see it's in good hands now! :)

Anyway, if you want my $0.02 I wouldn't fill anything with bondo if you can avoid it. Better off welding things shut if you can, otherwise I'd leave them alone.

What are your plans for the car?

graycob
Club4AG Regular

Postby graycob » Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 am

yellowsnow4free wrote:
graycob wrote:So here is the story... about 2 weeks ago I stumbled upon an ae86 rolling shell for 200 dollars while looking for s13 parts on craigslist.

We are thinking about shaving some existing screw holes and things with bondo, but are unsure. What do you guys think?

Welcome to the forum graycob! :)

You're in the Bay Area, right? I think I recall seeing this one on craigslist. Glad to see it's in good hands now! :)

Anyway, if you want my $0.02 I wouldn't fill anything with bondo if you can avoid it. Better off welding things shut if you can, otherwise I'd leave them alone.

What are your plans for the car?

Hey there!
Yes I am from the east bay area, the guy who sold me the car was awesome, he gave us a great deal on the transmission already set up with gts bell housing and some other good stuff to get started on a 20v swap. Still debating blacktop vs silvertop, a friend and I plan to build a solid track car (of course it has to look good too) in the low 200 hp range that we can practice drifting with. Hopefully this is the car my girlfriend will be able to learn on also! You'll have to show me some bay area meet ups and things once the young 86 is up and running, I'm stoked to be a part of the community!

P.s. we definitely didn't go with bondo, just paint on the frame for now. Like you said, welds are just so much better.

Thanks for the input guys!

d3nso
Club4AG Regular

Postby d3nso » Fri May 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Welcome [emoji1]

Why are you planning to go the 20v route? 200hp can be achived out of a bigport 16v aswell...
But in the end its your choice. Good choice not stick tons of bondo on the shell [emoji5]

graycob
Club4AG Regular

Postby graycob » Fri May 29, 2015 6:13 pm

d3nso wrote:Welcome [emoji1]

Why are you planning to go the 20v route? 200hp can be achived out of a bigport 16v aswell...
But in the end its your choice. Good choice not stick tons of bondo on the shell [emoji5]

Partially due to the fact that we don't have a 16v on us [emoji28] But in all seriousness, I am not opposed to putting a fresh 16v back in I guess I just feel like 20 valves are more available. Also the firewall has already been cut sadly... we also thought it would be better to start with something that has more horsepower stock. It may be a while until we get to build the motor the way we want to. Let me know if I am misguided or your input! I'm definitely open to all interpretations and want a fun reliable build!

d3nso
Club4AG Regular

Postby d3nso » Fri May 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Well a 20v swap done the right way costs more than modding a stock 16v to achive the same amount of hp of a stock 20v. Here in europe a 20v costs more than double the price of a 16v engine.
In the US 20v swaps are more common but I still don't understand the benifits of them. The gains are just too little in my opinion [emoji11]
Now to the fact you don't got any 4AGE sitting in the garage it make's kinda sense to slam a 20v in the shell I guess.
Don't get me wrong I don't wanted to criticize your decission I just was curious what was the reason for it [emoji2]