DIY/Review of Silverminemotors FC Brake kit

Sapporokid
Club4AG Enthusiast

DIY/Review of Silverminemotors FC Brake kit

Postby Sapporokid » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 pm

The stock brake system on my car has been neglected for a good time now, especially with all the big bucks going to bigger things ( suspension, the endless 4ag money pit, etc, you get the idea). I wasn't willing to spend $900 on the T3 Wilwood kit or anything along those lines considering my car is just the weekend fun car. At first i was just going to keep the stock calipers and get a good set of SS brake lines, slotted rotors and high performance pads.

Stock poop brakes

Then one day at a 50%off day at the local junkyard, i found a set of FC rx-7 front brake calipers and got them for $20!
F**K It ill give it a try. Ive seen many people run these in the United States and Japan but the reviews and info were always vague.

Fresh from a wrecked rx-7 haha

After i decided to jump into it, i made of list of stuff i needed

1. FC RX-7 4 pot front calipers (duh)
2. Adapter bracket to mount calipers onto the strut. I got them from Silverminemotorsports. The guy running the whole thing is very cool guy who knows his stuff.
*You need the hardware too so dont forget to get them from him with the bracket*
3. 2002-2006 Mini Cooper S 279x22mm Rotors. You have to get the inside redrilled to get it to fit the hub. I bought mine at Silverminemotorsports also for $100, slotted and drilled with everything drilled out to be a direct bolt-on.

Everything can be bought here: http://www.silverminemotors.com/toyota/ ... rolla-ae86
For those Socal peeps, hes located in SFV, very cool guy 8-)

*side note- The AE86 brake lines will work with the FC calipers, i just used SS lines for a ae86. I also got a set of Hawk HPS pads, nothing too serious. i Also weighted the entire setup and found it was 1.5lbs lighter than stock (both sides included). forgot to take a pic though ;)

FYI: A bigger Brake Master Cylinder is highly recommended! The stock ae86 one is kinda small at 13/16. I went with a Nissan 15/16 BMC (found on S12,S13,S14) cuz it was laying around in my garage. Most of the people ive seen running the FC calipers are using Nissan S chassis BMC's. I have also seen some Landcruiser, MR2, and i think even the ae82 sedan ones are 15/16 too.

Note the little plug for the middle outlet, you need to plug that as its for abs lol

Gotta bend the lines a bit, finished product looks nice

Now onto the actual installation

Brackets

Look good quality

The Rotors bolted up perfect

The Adapter bracket looks beautiful :D

Slap the hub with new rotor on
Its pretty big haha

Sorta hard to tell, but heres the gap between the rotor and the bracket

Put on caliper

put my wheels on, they are 15in 7J and +10offset, they fit very snug, a few mm to spare. For sure need 15in, and those running higher offsets need spacers.

The finished product looks very promising. Will follow up once i get to drive it but just pumping the brakes and pushing it around, it just feels so much stronger, pedal is way firmer and feels great.

The silvermine motors parts/kit was very helpful as it provided everything i needed and everything was direct bolt-on (no redrilling or modifying necessary). They were also located close so that was nice (LA area). I Highly recommend their parts for someone trying to do the same thing.
This whole setup cost me just under $

Hope this helps

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Re: DIY/Review of Silverminemotors FC Brake kit

Postby Clouds » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:49 am

A lot simpler than I'd have expected. :) Thanks for the post!
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Sapporokid
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Sapporokid » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 am

Clouds wrote:A lot simpler than I'd have expected. :) Thanks for the post!

No Problem! yeah its very simple, just take the old stuff off, bolt on new stuff and slap it on. Took me an hour honestly haha

truenoboy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenoboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:47 pm

I just finished this same setup (FC calipers/drilled Mini rotors/S13 MC). Any reason why you're using the stock proportioning valve since using the S13 MC is internally proportioned? I'm just curious.

I wish I knew about Silverminemotorsports btw, that's would've saved me some time in drilling my rotors myself.

Sapporokid
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Sapporokid » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:14 pm

truenoboy wrote:I just finished this same setup (FC calipers/drilled Mini rotors/S13 MC). Any reason why you're using the stock proportioning valve since using the S13 MC is internally proportioned? I'm just curious.

I wish I knew about Silverminemotorsports btw, that's would've saved me some time in drilling my rotors myself.

just havent had the chance to make any bypass for it yet, thats all to it lol The car isnt running yet so i still have some time to make a bypass ;)

Yeah i loved the Silverminemotors kit, veeery easy. I almost didnt do this setup because of the drilling of the rotors and all that.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 am

Although I really don't think I'm going to get the FC kit, I really appreciate your review and write-up.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

Sapporokid
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Sapporokid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:25 am

grappletech wrote:Although I really don't think I'm going to get the FC kit, I really appreciate your review and write-up.

Thanks! And yeah i wasnt originally going to do this route because i think stock calipers with good pads and rotors and ss lines are plenty BUT i did this entire setup for just a tad more and the kit from silvermine motors was easy. Everything was just bolt on.