New drift series (what do you want to see?)

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

New drift series (what do you want to see?)

Postby iamalexreece » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:58 pm

I am currently putting together a proposal for a new drift series. I have some connections at a large production company, & hopefully they will like the idea of producing a new series.

I wanted to get all of your input to make this even bigger & better than anything I can think of on my own. Please add your thoughts...

Here is my initial idea: (sorry I know it's kind of long)

A new nationwide drift series to bridge the gap between grassroots events & the professionals. I love the small grassroots events, & garage builds, but I feel the average person has little chance of actually progressing to a professional level these days. With the current rules in FD: the only way to be competitive is to acquire big sponsors, a v8 swap, multiple back up engines, an endless supply of tires, etc.
Don't get me wrong: I do enjoy FD & I try to go watch every event I can. The problem is: I feel it has strayed from its origins. Hardly anyone still runs a 4cyl motor, rotary, or even 6cyl anymore. Also the cars are built more like a NASCAR than a streetable vehicle.
What I'm proposing is an annual series (probably 6 or 7 separate 2 day events... 3 west coast, 3 east & one in the middle) that is approachable for the average to experienced sponsored driver. I want to have 3 groups for different experience levels:
1."Run What Ya Brung": all cars need to be currently registered to be driven on the street, with a current license plate or temp moving permit. Cars should be driven to the event (if within a reasonable distance). No professional builds or sponsored teams allowed. Any engine size is welcome.
2. "Pro Am": this is for the intermediate to experienced group. Roll cages required. This group is for the drivers who go out every week & hit the corners, years of experience, etc. Less than 3 sponsors are ok. Moderate to heavily modified vehicles. Team builds & local tuning shops' demo cars are welcome.
3. "Anything Goes": this is for the individuals with ridiculous skills, & professional teams. Literally anything goes... If you think you can hang with the big boys, v8's, & $100k builds: this is your category.

Groups 1 & 2 will have a winner of each event & all 6 or 7 winners will be invited to an "All Star" weekend event at the end of the season to determine the ultimate winner. Group 3 will be point based (similar to FD or D1) where the drivers will have to obtain points at each separate event. The driver with the most points at the end of the event will be the winner.

I would like 3 courses at each event (if possible). A FD style course: high speed with only 2 or 3 corners. A "street course": tighter corners with a few obstacles (I.e. parked cars, dumpsters, etc) & a small practice course for beginners.
Day one would be on one course & day two on the other, in order to give the drivers more variety & the spectators something different everyday. The practice course will be open all weekend for people to come & learn techniques, etc.

I want to try to get enough backing & support from brands & sponsors to be able to offer significant prize money, & parts to the winners of each event.

Please input your thoughts: good or bad.
I feel the more input I can get here, the better the proposal will be & the more likely this will become a reality.

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Re: New drift series (what do you want to see?)

Postby iamalexreece » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:46 pm

The proposal is about halfway done right now. I'm looking to submit the initial pitch in about a week or two. If anyone has any ideas or feedback: there is still time to let me know. I'd really like to see some of your ideas.

Spoold86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Spoold86 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:03 am

I think this is an awesome idea, i really hope it pulls through

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 am

Spoold86 wrote:I think this is an awesome idea, i really hope it pulls through

Thank you!! I hope it works out too. I've been doing a lot of research & fine tuning to make sure the proposal comes out as strong as possible.

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Update: the proposal was sent last night & I actually got a response back from the president of the Motorsport division stating that he & the CEO will be discussing my proposal with their team in the next week or two. I will be contacted as soon as that discussion is had.
Sounds good so far.

JapaneseDeman
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JapaneseDeman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:44 pm

No hate at all, but if you can get this to happen you will be doing something great for the entirety of drift fans/fanatics and the less than "tippy top tier" of pro-drifters.
kudo's to you.

tdunlapdesigns
Club4AG Regular

Postby tdunlapdesigns » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 am

I would LOVE to see this. Hope it happens!

hachiroku ae86
Club4AG Expert

Postby hachiroku ae86 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:37 pm

i was talking about the same thing with my buddy a few days ago,im down! have you looked at adams motorsports park for any help with this? i know they do a lot of the events in socal and can probably help you with this. just a thought. either way make this happen so i can do some east coast drifting
Andrew Goodluck
email- hachitruenoae86@gmail.com
paypal- teenmob2@yahoo.com
cell- 909-697-7094

85coupe gtsr5 DDDM(dily driven drift missle)
98 ford f-150 DD blown up