1UZFE with AE86 radiator

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

1UZFE with AE86 radiator

Postby daveskatesallday » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:55 pm

as the title states, i'm curious can you run the AE86 radiator with the 1UZ? I know enough people have done the swap and many switch radiator setup and have to move them foward but i was wondering can you run an 86 radiator? I have an aluminum cxracing radiator, is it possible?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Re: 1UZFE with AE86 radiator

Postby Clouds » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 am

daveskatesallday wrote:as the title states, i'm curious can you run the AE86 radiator with the 1UZ? I know enough people have done the swap and many switch radiator setup and have to move them foward but i was wondering can you run an 86 radiator? I have an aluminum cxracing radiator, is it possible?

Dave, why'd you put this here? :|
Anyway, what I've read so far is that you can use an IS300 radiator, a SR20 radiator, and some ones for 2JZ's. So in short, it might be, but it might not be.
Sorry for being vague.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Clouds wrote:
daveskatesallday wrote:as the title states, i'm curious can you run the AE86 radiator with the 1UZ? I know enough people have done the swap and many switch radiator setup and have to move them foward but i was wondering can you run an 86 radiator? I have an aluminum cxracing radiator, is it possible?

Dave, why'd you put this here? :|
Anyway, what I've read so far is that you can use an IS300 radiator, a SR20 radiator, and some ones for 2JZ's. So in short, it might be, but it might not be.
Sorry for being vague.

it was the only place i seen "V8" but i know i seen some pics of what looked like 86 radiators being used with the 1UZ just trying to figure out what they did and what hoses work
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:45 am

There is a section in Tech Talk, though. Have you tried searching through the old forum or this one for a similar topic?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Clouds wrote:There is a section in Tech Talk, though. Have you tried searching through the old forum or this one for a similar topic?

to be completely honest i have not i was at work so just posted this real quick

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:44 am

daveskatesallday wrote:
Clouds wrote:There is a section in Tech Talk, though. Have you tried searching through the old forum or this one for a similar topic?

to be completely honest i have not i was at work so just posted this real quick

i think that it would be a good start to try in your spare time.

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:33 am

Dave, you can use the 86 aluminum radiator with the 1UZ. The only thing you have to do is remove and re-weld the openings to match the 1UZ. There is a member on here that i have talk to about this topic and that's what he did. He's car has been featured twice i think in Super Street. Once with his sweet 20v black top wire tuck engine bay, and then again with the 1UZ swap. The member is from Texas, and the car is a white hatch, i just can't remember what his forum name is. I think you can find his build log in the Old Forums.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Toy86 wrote:Dave, you can use the 86 aluminum radiator with the 1UZ. The only thing you have to do is remove and re-weld the openings to match the 1UZ. There is a member on here that i have talk to about this topic and that's what he did. He's car has been featured twice i think in Super Street. Once with his sweet 20v black top wire tuck engine bay, and then again with the 1UZ swap. The member is from Texas, and the car is a white hatch, i just can't remember what his forum name is. I think you can find his build log in the Old Forums.

that's a buddy of mine actually but from what i remember he didn't use an 86 radiator he went with the sirocco radiator

badboy88000
Club4AG Regular

Postby badboy88000 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Wrong section..

But no. a stock radiator will not fit without heavy modifications to the tranny tunnel because the engine sits pretty forward in the ae86. Youd have to position it back enough to fit a stock radiator, and that would require heavy tranny tunnel cutting.

Josh is the guy in texas. He's using a scirocco radiator.

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:54 am

Yep we know it's in the wrong section, but still doesn't hurt to help the guy out. I was able to find the Josh's old build thread http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=63771. Thanks badboy88000 for jogging my memory. I'm also trying to talk to another guy that has a 1uz swap in his 86 and his name is William Soto Drift Rodriguez and he does seem to be running a 86 radiator in his car. Here's a pic, but the radiator looks a bit more gurthier.
1UZFE.jpg
1UZFE.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 22531 times

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:14 pm

thanks appreciate the help, i've seen some pics that look like 86 radiators, it seems that it's inevitable that the radiator needs to be positioned a bit foward (although i seen one in the stock place but not many pics to help).

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:57 pm

The closest one that i've seen was from the Brother's in New York. He club name on here is Bigdaddywalt, and i also believe he was the first to do the 1uz swap in a 86 then twin turbo it. But even he had to put the Radiator under the front brace and probably had to mod the mounting position on the bottom. Here's my favorite picture of his engine. Either way, i think you can use the 86 radiator, you just have to be creative on how to run the water piping to it. The real question is can the 86 radiator keep the 1uz cool enough in during every aspect of driving conditions?
Attachments
1UZFE 3.jpg

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:49 am

Toy86 wrote:The closest one that i've seen was from the Brother's in New York. He club name on here is Bigdaddywalt, and i also believe he was the first to do the 1uz swap in a 86 then twin turbo it. But even he had to put the Radiator under the front brace and probably had to mod the mounting position on the bottom. Here's my favorite picture of his engine. Either way, i think you can use the 86 radiator, you just have to be creative on how to run the water piping to it. The real question is can the 86 radiator keep the 1uz cool enough in during every aspect of driving conditions?

I would imagine and hope so, considering i'm running an aftermarket aluminum 86 radiator, and that bay is very clean indeed